Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Why do some people have large avatars?

They are or used to be moderators, community managers, or Squad staff.

Do you have to be a moderator to have a large avatar?

Essentially, yes.

I see some people who have large avatars, but aren't very active, what is their status? Thanks!

They are not very active. You'll need to elaborate more on your question if you want a more thorough answer.

They are or used to be moderators, community managers, or Squad staff.

Essentially, yes.

They are not very active. You'll need to elaborate more on your question if you want a more thorough answer.

Thanks! If I see one, I'll mention it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Got two:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/18823-Steve5451

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/12630-Ascensiam

Also, how come users in old threads don't have any reputation? Thanks again.

Ascensiam is a former moderator. Former moderators are under the same limits as normal users, but if they don't change their avatar, it won't change size to fit the smaller limit.

Steve5451 doesn't seem to have a larger than usual avatar.

Very old threads were, I believe, ported over from the SMF KSP forum, which did not have reputation like vB has.

Ascensiam is a former moderator. Former moderators are under the same limits as normal users, but if they don't change their avatar, it won't change size to fit the smaller limit.

Steve5451 doesn't seem to have a larger than usual avatar.

Very old threads were, I believe, ported over from the SMF KSP forum, which did not have reputation like vB has.

Interesting! What about this guy:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/9011-mincespy

His avatar seems to be appropriately sized. You might be confusing profile picture and avatar.

Interesting, I'm talking about this:

image.php?u=9011&dateline=1350206935

It seems to be a bit larger in this post, but as his avatar, it seems to be bigger than 64 by 64 pixels in length. But maybe it's just because that it's a gif. Anyway, thanks for answering my questions!

Do very old threads autolock? I've noticed that most forums with posts pre 2012 have their entire back pages (and several before that) locked, excluding fanwork forums like the fanworks forum (Oh my, that sounded so much more stupid than in my head) and the Spacecraft exchange. Is it like per-forum auto-locking feature to prevent super necros? What if one of those topics somehow becomes relevent again?

Interesting, I'm talking about this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/image.php?u=9011&dateline=1350206935

It seems to be a bit larger in this post, but as his avatar, it seems to be bigger than 64 by 64 pixels in length. But maybe it's just because that it's a gif. Anyway, thanks for answering my questions!

I guess he must have been a mod at some point. You would have to ask sal_vager or some other ancient forumite, I only got here just over a year ago.

Do very old threads autolock? I've noticed that most forums with posts pre 2012 have their entire back pages (and several before that) locked, excluding fanwork forums like the fanworks forum (Oh my, that sounded so much more stupid than in my head) and the Spacecraft exchange. Is it like per-forum auto-locking feature to prevent super necros? What if one of those topics somehow becomes relevent again?

No, they don't, otherwise we might have certain ancient discussion threads or perhaps still-active mod threads closing randomly. I suspect someone went through and got a little trigger happy with the thread keys.

I'm confused.....

about something entirely different than what y'all are talkin bout

If i've had my name changed, do i log in with my original name? or my new one? *mind 'splodes*

The Laythe Initiative: occasionally we do some pruning and move very old threads to an "archive" status. That might be what you're seeing.

Edited by Vanamonde

Disclaimer: Some questions may not be answerable, for various reasons.

The word of the thread is: Automagically.

Mods-

How often are you called upon to examine the post of a Curious George, only to have it be a spambot?

Can you show us an example of what their messages look like?

Are the majority of the users on the forum humans? About how many unique users are active on the forum per month?

What do you do with a spambot?

About how many people join the forums per day?

Everyone else-

Have you ever wondered about this, or is it just me?

What is a Curious George?

Curious Georges are people who have just made an account on the forums and haven't made three moderator-approved posts yet. They don't have certain abilities, such as the giving of rep or the changing of avatars.

Oh, I was just wondering because in the name-change thread, I wanted to change my name to "Laythe", but an inactive user already has it. His description thingy under his name says "Curious George" so I was just wondering if there was a connection. He was last active in 2013 and has 0 posts, so the name fits him :D

Yes.

Generally the mod in question posts, or if they don't want to necro post, edits the OP. When that doesn't happen, we can check who did what to the thread by hitting "edit thread" under the special moderator-only options, which has a log of everything moderator-related that happened in the thread including approving moderation queue posts.