The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Kagame can you state for the record that you achieved orbit? None of your screens or their text indicates an orbit and although you appear to be following the K-Prize rules in so far as the report goes, it would be presumptious of me to assume you had achieved orbit without a clear indication. I am sorry if that seems pedantic but it needs to be stated in writing or by image, psychic adjudication is notoriously unreliable ;)

Congratulations to...

rudi1291 Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Tourist Bus.

juzeris Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Krau 6.

g00bd0g Utilitarial Commendation (51t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with MK3 SSTO Cargo 1 Bay.

Evanitis Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Explosion Free.

Triop with Smallest SSTO.

- with MIG 15.

... on completing the K-Prize mission successfully. Thanks all for your mission reports and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour. Be there or be square!

PS thankyou spikes2020 hope you enjoyed it :)

Edited by boolybooly

welcome to the K-Prize party guest list

Weee! Thanks!

Not sure many people noticed, but the K-prize badge has a tiny bit lighter background than the forum. Depending on your monitor setup, it might even be invisible to you. Call it OCD, but it bugs me, so I made one with transparent background. Feel free to use it.

DSlULue.png

I'm unsure if my Mothership SSTO quite qualifies for the K-Prize. Furiosa VI takes off into orbit carrying another Spaceplane, the Valkyria III (with 400 units of Liquid Fuel on board, and a detachable nose cone). In LKO, Valkyria III is detached to rendezvous with my spacestation to fuel up and plant a flag on Minmus to pay the bills while Furiosa VI lands back at KSC. When Jeb is done with his mission, Valkyria III also lands back at KSC. However, the side effect is that the detachable nose cone is left behind in orbit, making this SSTO Mothership/Parasite Spaceplane combo only 99.5% efficient. (Though the nose cone is part of the payload, and not of the mothership)

Ia1cu38o.jpg

Takeoff

EGyMc4Re.jpg

Valkyria III's engine is engaged.

QFXRMEMz.jpg

Top Speed with payload.

aDw1zJff.jpg

9McNd0pK.jpg

LKO

sNPKKWaa.jpg

Jeb is off to Minmus!

cNui2hQp.jpg

Who needs landing lights anyway?

Jdsuu7Oz.jpg

Fuel situation critical.

ItF30lNt.jpg

With 10 seconds of fuel left, Mory guns it.

arGzNsG7.jpg

Landed, nothing but tarmac, and 14.92 units of fuel left. Valentina would approve.

X7W7QMvI.jpg

I see many large and mid-range planes, I am not really into aircraft and this is my first space plane!

My entry is aiming for minimalist, I wanted advanced pilot precision by landing on the runway but overshot that, with a craft that does not fly/glide well (only 2 wings!) :D

I think this qualifies? It appears to hit all the requirements- though I will own up to many things right here! Launches from the launch pad, is un-manned, and lands in the water with a parachute. However, it is 4.09 tons and I was unable to get anything lighter into orbit that was able to de-orbit.

This is 1.0.4 and the heating/aerodynamic changes are something I am still adjusting to from 1.0.2.

Here's my entry for the challenge: (v1.0.4)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I put a satellite to scan ore on duna into kerbin orbit. (As I did the challenge in career mode I wanted to do something useful.)

As you can see in the pictures I prohibited any fuel drain from the satellite. The satellite was attached with a decoupler, therefore the seperation in the flight results.

To land back on KSC easier, I waited for daylight, that's why the mission needed 3.5 hours.

Although I overshot the runway first, I had enough fuel left to do a u-turn and land more or less smoothly on it. :)

Thanks for offering this cool and achievable challenge!

Here's my submission for the K prize using 2 rapiers, a nerv engine and no oxidiser on board.

I landed back on the KSP runway so I think this means the Advanced pilot precision award!

mtApIMp.gif

You can see the full pictures on this post or on imgur.

Edited by iLikeRovers

My first K-prize entry (1.04)

The airframe is a modified version of the spaceplane I attempted the Eve SSTO challenge with. 1260 tons, no jets, only rockets, can carry 150 tons of payload to Kerbin orbit. Craft is all stock parts, but I was using FAR, not sure if that disqualifies it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My first K-prize entry (1.04)

The airframe is a modified version of the spaceplane I attempted the Eve SSTO challenge with. 1260 tons, no jets, only rockets, can carry 150 tons of payload to Kerbin orbit. Craft is all stock parts, but I was using FAR, not sure if that disqualifies it.

http://imgur.com/a/JrONq

Clap clap, I approve of this. Giant SSTO spaceplanes are awesome. well done

Many thanks to all for your mission reports. Congratulations to ...

Batz_10K Advanced Pilot Precision Award with V-Machine.

L3v1athan Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SpaceplaneShort.

selfish_meme Utilitarial Commendation (36.5t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SMA OrbitMaster.

Fenya Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Finch.

ILikeRovers Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Small Liquid SSTO.

t3hJimmer Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Stearwing XL.

Nefrums Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Laythe, Bop, Pol), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTL.

... on completing the K-Prize mission successfully. Welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

Edax, the reason Furiosa VI was a gatecrasher was that "Valkyria III's engine is engaged"during the ascent, since Valkyria III is payload it breaks proviso A to rule 1 and is therefore an official gatecrasher! I hope you enjoy the notoriety. :cool:

Tynrael, thanks for your video. Much as I admire the innovative launch and landing procedures used with Barebones Mk I space drone, it is hard to ignore the fact that it broke the K-Prize rules because lift off was not horizontal since it began with 45° descent ! So I hope you will settle for a gatecrashers link which I am sure the interesting mission report deserves... p.s. if you altered the launch angle so it flew horizontally at the launch it would count, fyi.

SuicidalInsanity, what a magnificent craft, unfortunately your doubts about FAR are applicable to the K-Prize because rule#3 was invented in the interests of fairness for the competitive aspect of the challenge and so that like can be compared with like otherwise. So sorry but I hope you dont mind too much that the link to your mission report has been added to the gatecrasher listing, with a miniscule quip and a subtle hint thrown in at no extra charge.:D

Edited by boolybooly

Mainway Aerospace (a subsidiary of Mainway Enterprises) is proud to submit the Mainway Adobe for consideration in this challenge.

Adobe1_zpseeryuj2s.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Mainway%20Adobe

What sets the Adobe apart from other spaceplanes is that it's cheap, economical, easy to operate, and best of all is composed entirely of tier 7 or earlier parts.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

1.04 K-prize run:

The S.S. Jules Vern

This passenger Plane carries 4 Kerbals plus 2 Crew on a quick tour of the moon.

72E30789E8D76E0607BE4DA28D787DE56D856BBB

Take off:

775F1AA1CB713C548D9F54EFC996B9612A15F21C

Refueling in orbit: I use MJ on the Refueler cause i cant dock for :huh::huh:

26EC7AE30D187F7F738386D744A72B342B917213

Muner orbit :

186A2689733C513AFC2F58E32B5232CA8E4EC787

Refuel at the Mun:

DCCDA1BB1ADB34708895480C2E9A84954E9420F0

Headed back to KSC:

8EC5401596BC4B538E1D27B24CD92C03EC81018D

Home :

ED514991BBFC12BD33BDD31981DD913CB8B93063

Group Photo!

2995EDF39C2FC22643FED7F3543DDDDD96611C54

Final Stats:

03AA1C57E6B0F118CA0A9D4BF1E8725DB3013E1F

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.