Whats still not good enough?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, new to english and not so new to the game, so sorry if I do anything wrong.

After a lot of hours on the game I started to take note of what I felt was not right and it ended like this:

Adjustable landing gear height:

-There's no middle ground between LY-10 and LY-50

Adjustable wings lift:

-IRL horizontal stabilizers don't generate lift. So it's easier to develop a plane with CoL and CoM together.

More detailed map:

-It's stupid i know but it would be cool to know where's the KSP at "night" or what Biome is that...

Airport lights:

-It would be cool if the airstrip and the KSC itself had proper visual identification at distance.

Map surface/orbit:

-You can change the speed reference, but can't change the trajectory's reference (for landings and contracts).

Contract location visible on flight:

-Why not?

-Graphic overhaul is already a thread so I'm not going to talk about it. We all want it

as we want more aerodynamics parts, procedural wings, jet engines...

Solar panel in hangar:

- We can now tweak all instruments while planning, but not the panels...

Still bugs:

-We still have some bugs like airbrakes action, or some sudden deaths/explosions, suddenly

losing control of your ship and then you have to go to the tracking station and back...

Non equatorial bases:

-More bases to start the game, and the opportunity to buy others...

So, whats do you guys think???

Hi, Capt. Spiff - Welcome to the forums :)

I personally have to say that I have to agree - Especially with the landing gear. Every now or so I find that an aircraft is too high above the ground, but becomes too low with other, lower sets.

I believe that the fairings, while being a good concept, still need a rework - The textures are rather odd, they separate in a "confetti-like" manner, and all the like. Plus, they're so heavy that sometimes you're bettrr off just leaving the payload exposed.

For the stock game?

• </p><p>
  • Delta-V calculator
  • Aerodynamic tweaking (possibly 1.0.3)
  • Phantom forces on load or timewarp stop (orbit ruinage, the only time I resort to Infinite Fuel)
  • Heating tweaks
  • Science overhaul (the entire system is bad, volumes have been written)
  • Contracts overhaul (the entire system is bad, at the very least organize and generate contracts per body, and allow the player to block contract types)
  • Graphics overhaul (as noted, volumes have been written)

Some of that is on the way. Unity 5 will bring Win64 support and performance enhancements (possibly).

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, new to english and not so new to the game, so sorry if I do anything wrong.

Airport lights:

-It would be cool if the airstrip and the KSC itself had proper visual identification at distance.

Build some?

Placing the Small Landing Gear on another part, such as the Small Hardpoint, or M-Beam 650, helps close the gap in distance between different gear heights.

You can help yourself find KSC from orbit, by planting a flag :) Putting a flag at each end of the runway also helps with lining up landings, from a long distance.

Contract location visible on flight: good question! Check out this mod.

Bugs: If you are not aware of this, check out Claw's fix-and-workaround collection, here.

Can anyone enlighten me about horizontal stabilizer lift? Horizontal stabilizers only affect CoM unless they are placed at an angle..?

And KSC and runway is really visible at night, especially runway because it has these big lights that chop both my wings off in half.

I completely agree with everything else you said, we need those and I need them Soon.

-IRL horizontal stabilizers don't generate lift. So it's easier to develop a plane with CoL and CoM together.

This is not true. Most, if not all, horizontal stabilizers generate lift. A majority of them actually generate negative lift to counteract the pitch-down effect from having the center of mass in front of the center of lift, like most aircraft do. Having the COM in front of the COL is more stable than having them perfectly matched, and gives a bit more leeway in the weight and balance configurations.

Lights should be much brighter when you look directly at them. You should be able to see them from much farther away if they're pointing at you. As it is, they look like somewhat bright patches, possibly (now that I think about it) less bright than the objects they illuminate.

- - - Updated - - -

Joints are too wobbly. Gimbals are too slow, and fins are slower still. The combination causes nasty feedback loops that will shake a ship to pieces on launch. There are many quite reasonable ships that I can't use stability assist for until they're out of the atmosphere.

science needs a massive overhaul in some way. Currently there's nothing to do on planets with rovers and bases nor is there anything to do in space with satellites and stations.

I agree on this. I'm playing since two or three weeks, and I'm already feeling that the process of gathering science could be more interesting.

It would be nice to have more reason to perform experiments and seek for science on distant places. More than the mere collection of science points to unlock parts. Because in the end I am unlocking parts to repeat the same pattern on a different environment/planet. The process is becoming a bit repetitive.

It would be great to have a variety of reasons to spend more time exploring distant planets and for building science stations in their orbit. Perhaps more exploration with the purpose of mining, or for identifying where to perform some specific experiments, or where to place a base so that's optimally located.

An other things I would like to see in KSP is the necessity to take in account for the survivability of the crew. Oxygen, food, water, electric energy, etc. Perhaps newbie could switch it off in the difficulty panel. Having to consider those factors while sending a manned craft instead of a probe would help balancing when choosing the former or the latter option.

Lights should be much brighter when you look directly at them. You should be able to see them from much farther away if they're pointing at you. As it is, they look like somewhat bright patches, possibly (now that I think about it) less bright than the objects they illuminate.

- - - Updated - - -

Joints are too wobbly. Gimbals are too slow, and fins are slower still. The combination causes nasty feedback loops that will shake a ship to pieces on launch. There are many quite reasonable ships that I can't use stability assist for until they're out of the atmosphere.

Gimbals are too fast actually. You can compensate by drastically restricting the gimbal range.

There are sure things to be added (dV indicator, rad alt, fuel hoses, mk3 cargo ramp, etc.), but what's already in game and lacks quality is plane and ARM parts. Also atmo and reentry heat, but I guess it's already worked on. And planets. They should be refreshed a bit too.

Edit: Landing legs could be added to the list. I always wanted them to move up-down instead of in-out. They float mid-air when the load on them is too heavy.

Edited by Veeltch

The phase angle currently isn't available with anything even close to precision without mods, unlike certain other KER things people keep clamoring for you can't calculate it from available data.

For the stock game?

• </p><p>
  • Delta-V calculator
  • Aerodynamic tweaking (possibly 1.0.3)
  • Phantom forces on load or timewarp stop (orbit ruinage, the only time I resort to Infinite Fuel)
  • Heating tweaks
  • Science overhaul (the entire system is bad, volumes have been written)
  • Contracts overhaul (the entire system is bad, at the very least organize and generate contracts per body, and allow the player to block contract types)
  • Graphics overhaul (as noted, volumes have been written)

Some of that is on the way. Unity 5 will bring Win64 support and performance enhancements (possibly).
    Quoted for accuracy. (volumes have indeed been written)

The SAS needs its abilities to point at prograde, retrograde, normal, etc. fixed so that it doesn't wander your ship back and forth when trying to lock on the point. Seriously embarrassing.

Pol's surface collider needs to be fixed to remove the sudden-death land mines (and above-surface mines) that cause ships to explode in certain places. It's a nerve-wracking to drive around the place.

NERV engines need to NOT make lots of heat when operating. Bad Rocket Science should not be encouraged.

As well as the small stuff like missing parts (medium size nosegear etc):

* Clouds.

* Visual customisation of ships ala Kerbpaint. Colour choice should be a basic tweakable on all parts.

* RPM-grade IVA instrumentation. Pretty IVAs are useless if you can't fly from them.

* Main view basic info like that provided by Kerbal Flight Data or KER's HUDs. Having to switch to map view to monitor your apoapsis is ridiculous.

* ÃŽâ€V data in the VAB/SPH/in flight.

Performance. That's all I want, decent performance.

Well, that and all the physics bugs fixed. The claw still summons the kraken from time to time, orbits jittery and inaccurate, phantom forces, colliding into the launchpad 1KM out, appalling memory management etc. etc. etc. Plus all the bugs fixed by "stock bugfix modules", that should have been fixed in stock ages ago.

Enough with the "it's unity's fault, can't fix", we're not in beta anymore - fix the damn bugs and performance issues already. Top of my list: this one.

More constructively, both science collection and stock contracts are really boring, some variety beyond "land -> click button" for gathering science would be nice, and perhaps some more meaningful contract grouping/progression system.

I'd really like to say say "moar parts" too, but certainly not until the aforementioned memory issues are sorted out.

Edited by steve_v
link

They really need to fix the placement of maneuver nodes in interplanetary space. Half the time I can't put a node anywhere between my ship and it's next SOI change. It typically takes me several minutes of very tedious clicking and dragging to get a node an hour in front of my ship if I'm on an interplanetary trajectory. I usually have to place it in my next SOI first, then wiggle and jiggle endlessly to get it to snap to the previous one. Very, very, very boring.

They really need to fix the placement of maneuver nodes in interplanetary space. Half the time I can't put a node anywhere between my ship and it's next SOI change. It typically takes me several minutes of very tedious clicking and dragging to get a node an hour in front of my ship if I'm on an interplanetary trajectory. I usually have to place it in my next SOI first, then wiggle and jiggle endlessly to get it to snap to the previous one. Very, very, very boring.

THIS ^^^^

Also, there are still times when changing SOI that no maneuver node can be placed. Only fix is EVA/ingress or save/load.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.