PS4 Announcement Discussion

DuoDex

Not according to Squad.

Having lunch or going to the toilet means means less development time spent on game content...

Not true. If the devs don't eat, they die. Then not only do you lose that dev time, but you lose the dev time of the devs who have to take him out back and bury him so no questions get raised.

Similar problems happen if they don't go to the toilet, but I won't elaborate.

Eating/urinating/defecating are physiological needs. You don't perform them, you die.

I don't believe it won't affect the development. I understand Harv and other developers are one thing and Squad is a company they work for. The company's PR department decides what to say and what not to say and they get directives from the jefes.

Haven't any of you guys learned to read sarcasm into sal_vager's posts? Specially jarring from you, 5thHorsemen ;)

Or maybe it's me not reading your sarcasm.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait. Now I saw it.

Priceless.

I'm okay with the PS4 version as long as it doesn't force its changes onto the PC version such as GUI accommodations specifically for consoles (*cough* Bethesda *cough*) and doesn't take away from PC development as they have stated. I just honestly do not see a market for the game on consoles. KSP is just too complicated for anything but PCs and the un-modded stock game is already bland without any simplifications required for consoles. I could see a well-made, simple mobile version being more successful; I'd love to have some type of KSP to play on my iPad when I'm away from the PC and have nothing to do but sit around (medical emergency in the family is requiring me to spend numerous hours at the hospital lately).

This might interest you Stevehead.

Please reassure the skeptical that we're not going to get a UI intended for console play on the PC. I hope to see a KSP that realizes the potential of the PC platform and not something pared down and reduced in information.

No, not by any means. Our UI overhaul will indeed support development of a console-friendly UI, but that will be for the console version only. The PC UI will work just the same as it does now, maybe even get a few improvements for itself in the process. :)

Remember, KSP is a PC game being ported to run on a console. The port is branching off the main PC development code, not the other way around. We did need to work together for the Unity5 part though, because that affects everyone.

Cheers

heng, adding more Krakens to the game, for every platform, would be a nice suggestion, as currently there's only one deceased Kraken on Bop :)

...adding more Krakens to the game, for every platform, would be a nice

Please not this... I have enough Krakens visiting my game at the moment, even without the one on Bop.

Eating/urinating/defecating are physiological needs. You don't perform them, you die.

Reference?

Not good. PC users have nothing to gain from this.

Good thing I like the game the way it is now. I don't see much more development going on with the PC version at this point. I can look back at the history of too many other game developers who have gone the same way to think otherwise.

This is monetarily good for Squad. It provides a substantial infusion of cash. What's next ... XBox?

Once they go down the console route, forever will it control their destiny.

So.. they can't make money now, because it's not beneficial to PC players? :P

In all seriousness though, I'm rather optimistic that Squad can handle such things, especially with the collab with Flying Tiger. Yes, maybe they may look a little.. vague.. in their games, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. I don't know why every announcement Squad makes nowadays is often met with negativity.. not to be critical or anything. :)

- - - Updated - - -

My list of warnings is as long as any troll from /kspg/. At the end of the day, though, I know that these are Squad's forums that run under Squad's rules. If you have a problem with that, there's always /kspg/ for shiptoasting.

Never seen such an awesome quote. Would you mind if I used it for my sig? The wisdom is strong with this one..

Just saw this on r/pcmasterrace: (Snippysnip)

You have to say it's funny.

Personaly. I feel like its going to be hard to do alot with controls and graphics. But we can snip out graphics and go for controls. I dont think its going to be fun evaing when your screaming at the TV.

mrklaw, I would disagree that LBP and Minecraft are complex games controller-wise, especially relative to KSP. I haven't played Little Big Planet much, but it seemed basic enough, mostly walking around and jumping, and Minecraft is the same. How is the editor going to work for Kerbal on the Playstation?

O.K, O.K, O.K,

before I make the following remarks, I would like to restate the fact that, I feel this thread has become dangerously divided with "PC Supreme-ISM"

having said that... I have had some time to review most of the comments on the issue at hand. I have found evidence that troubles me.

I originally stated that "this is not an appropriate thing to argue about", but I may have been wrong.

I felt that the devs would make GOOD CHOICES when porting to console, but they seem utterly Determined to port to PS4.

Also, A good source tells me that they will have to make cuts to the game features: I.e. Action groups, that are CORE PARTS OF THE GAME!

NO NO NO!

BAD CHOICES.

I do not want KSP to become minecraft! the only problem with that game is that there are too many versions! it dose not work.

I would suggest making different versions (such as a Ship editor app) that are compatible with all other versions! LIKE THEY HAVE NOW.

I am sorry but I am utterly concerned right now. I was wrong. this issue needs more attention.

Edited by 8bitgammers

I actually think this is somewhat a good idea, I mean it gets more people interesting in the game and space. One of my really good friends likes KSP and I've shown him some stuff on my computer. He doesn't have a good enough computer to run KSP, we checked the demo, but he does have a PS4 and he seemed pretty excited that it's going to be on ps4. I'm still a bit skeptical about the shady looking developer that is porting this though.

I actually think this is somewhat a good idea, I mean it gets more people interesting in the game and space. One of my really good friends likes KSP and I've shown him some stuff on my computer. He doesn't have a good enough computer to run KSP, we checked the demo, but he does have a PS4 and he seemed pretty excited that it's going to be on ps4. I'm still a bit skeptical about the shady looking developer that is porting this though.

I DO think the main idea of Broadening horizons is good, but sacrificing CORE FEATURES IS NOT GOOD!

i'm o.k with them even releasing a simplified version fore PS4, but it should be fully compatible with ALL other versions.

this is so they can be free to share there designs and mods with others, and vise versa.

There's been no suggestion of sacrificing features for any platform though the console port will have a different UI, so other than that it should be little different to the PC version, as it'll be made from the same core code :)

There's been no suggestion of sacrificing features for any platform though the console port will have a different UI, so other than that it should be little different to the PC version, as it'll be made from the same core code :)

NO WAY.

a credible source:

"there are no way action groups will fit" or something like that. i'll find the exact post!

science. mining. scanning. moding. anything that requires left or right clicking a part in flight.
Let's have a peek at the Keybindings, and a diagram of a PS4 controller. Looks like we may be missing a couple of buttons. Without a doubt, action groups would be ruined. I also think building in the VAB would be quite awkward. Controls-wise, KSPS4 will be lacking.

Mods. Mods turn this game from great to amazing. Like another game with a large modding community that was ported to console following an official release... *cough* *cough* I've played Minecraft on Xbox 360. The large worlds (part of Minecraft's allure) are trimmed down immensely, and you have to PAY for texture packs and skins, which are free on PC. Judging by this (Best example I could find), if mods are available, they probably would end up being paid for. Probably.

But let's look at the positives. This will bring wider recognition. Hell, one day I could go to my local GAME, and see KSP, in full public view, as a bestselling game, and a child picks it up. That would make me happy.

my opinion EXACLY

Edited by 8bitgammers

NO WAY.

a credible source:

"there are no way action groups will fit" or something like that. i'll find the exact post!

How can you say it's from a "credible source" when you don't know who said it or what they said?

Even if you do find it, unless it came from Squad development staff, it's only speculation. Admittedly, I can't see precisely how they'll jam everything on to the controller, but that doesn't mean it won't be done.

How can you say it's from a "credible source" when you don't know who said it or what they said?

Even if you do find it, unless it came from Squad development staff, it's only speculation. Admittedly, I can't see precisely how they'll jam everything on to the controller, but that doesn't mean it won't be done.

it was a mod.

they have to mods for a reason right. there opinions should be educated.

I know I seemed hypocritical

Edited by 8bitgammers

it was a mod.

they have to mods for a reason right. there opinions should be educated.

Because they are fair minded and not easily provoked, I would imagine, but even a mod can speculate.

Speculation /= Fact

We won't know anything until squad tells us (or tells twitter/reddit), or we actually play the game on the PS4.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.