Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

I could maybe understand and could maybe enjoy flying ships from a console, but actually creating ships can be hard enough with a mouse and keyboard. I couldn't even imagine the frustration of trying to build complex ships with a console controller...

Some games belong on a PC for a reason IMO...

Frankly, I can't see KSP being as immensely popular on PS4 as it is on PC. Because of mods. Mods are blood and bones of KSP - heck, last several major updates were basically mods added to the stock game. Skyrim was released six months after KSP's first public release (2011) and it's still popular enough that Valve made that dumb "pay for mods" move! Compare that with its current rankings on consoles.

To be short, it's a nice marketing move, but it won't make any differences in terms of KSP's popularity.

I think we'd all welcome hearing their thoughts on the current state of play then :)

Something along the lines of "we agreed that 1.0.2 drag was too high and heat too low and this is looking like a better balance for both" or "we're not seeing jet contracts we can't complete with the available parts anymore" would do a lot to assuage the concerns of the community ^^

Mu made some comments about patch progress in his joint appearance with Maxmaps on Squadcast, May 30. Also, check my sig for the lengthy "Squad HQ" SQ summary/transcript I did (omg the hours...) , which has a nice section with comments about the Aero problems / changes between 1.0 / 1.0.1.

On the contrary, it concerns the development of KSP (albeit on another platform) and it's definitely the most noteworthy bit of news this week :)

So that is prove that PS4 version development will affect the development of the PC version.

Late to the thread, however ...

1. Congrats on the deal.

2. I realize that you guys are excited about what this means for you, but C'mon, this truly isn't a Devnote, it's an announcement, and as such should not be here but in the proper thread.

Oh and Funken - I can play on my couch if inclined, off my media center PC attached to a 47" Flat Screen, 5.1 sound hehehe .... :)

I came here to read dev notes and chew bubble gum.

And I'm all out of dev notes...

On a more serious note: Congrats, Squad.

And hopefully this means the devs HAVE to start optimizing for lower end hardware. Or maybe PS4 will just get a nerfed version.

Edited by L4r5man

what about multiplayer? we have so little info about it...

In my opinion... a properly executed multiplayer mode can boost up sales more than a console port...

I think KSP didn't have the same success as minecraft due to the lacking of a multiplayer mode...

Edited by luizopiloto

Some people seem confused as to why these are the dev notes.

Clearly, this is what the devs are now doing. Hence these are the notes about what the devs have been up to. There is nothing else for them to say as there is nothing else new - it's the same (or most likely cut-down) product, but on another platform.

They aren't doing other things, they are doing this. They aren't doing what their existing (already paid) customers want. They are doing what might make more money.

Surely no one is surprised?

Headline: "Previously friendly indie gets sucked into corporate world of big cash" *yawn*

Clearly, this is what the devs are now doing. Hence these are the notes about what the devs have been up to. There is nothing else for them to say as there is nothing else new - it's the same (or most likely cut-down) product, but on another platform.

They aren't doing other things, they are doing this. They aren't doing what their existing (already paid) customers want. They are doing what might make more money.

Headline: "Previously friendly indie gets sucked into corporate world of big cash" *yawn*

Nope, after over 4 years of devving KSP they deserved a break, but you already knew that.

Work on 1.0.3 continues though, but as it's really just fixes and tweaks it's not new development.

Troll posts never really change it seems.

I believe you failed to read the related article post where FTE was handling the development side and also *helping* squad with the roll over to unity 5, in much the same why that the EDU version was developed and released without straining squads development team.

in

They had nothing else to talk about. 1.0.3 patch is in testing, three developers returned from two-week vacations (and thus the previous devnotes were titled "Slow News Day.") We have no idea if PS4 port will result in "big cash" - Squad is doing a reasonable thing by working with another company to maintain the port, so that the main developers can concentrate on core features.

Squad needs to seek new sources of income to grow KSP features (or complete them, if you are of that view) - folks who've already bought KSP... our one time contribution has been made. This post by a player on Reddit goes into greater detail.

The last word on Multiplayer (May 30) was that once 1.0.3 patch is out the door, HarvesteR will be spending more of his time on it, and Mu will take over the majority of KSP core features development.

I wish Squad the best of luck in this endeavour and hope the RoI is large.

I hope you continue to make excellent games for us and continue to improve Kerbal as you have done relatively consistently since whatever beta I started playing during.

I hope you have sufficient insulation between you and those who begrudge you an attempt at expansion.

Im still feeling sick about this. the only thing i can think of is how Bethesda handled there console ported games. eventually it stopped caring about the pc people all together. and if it didn't work on console it didn't happen. pc players got stuck with the watered down version they gave the console. same could be said for other games that went console as well.

Also, I have to confess to the urge to purchase a PS 4 so as to have a computer capable of playing with all settings on full.

I have to make do with medium on most settings and it lags like bejeesus some times.

>.>

<.<

I hope you have sufficient insulation between you and those who begrudge you an attempt at expansion.

We're not against expanding; we're against the lack of detailed development information in this devnote and not finishing the game before expanding to console. SQUAD will have to port updates to one more system, most likely doubling the time taken to make an update.

What bothers me is not the porting to PS4...

What bothers me is the fact they are porting it before fixing the bugs the game still have...

Like the Ladder bug, where you cannot retract or extend it on editors when you load a craft file... that is still around since KSP 0.24...

and this is just one of the many bugs the game still have... they released the game (1.0) with bugs... And I'm sure they will port it with bugs...

And console ppl don't accept bugs in games the same way pc ppl does...

My biggest concern is that they're talking about UI changes. Granted that there are some aspects of the UI (PC version, I could care less about a console version, I've never owned a console and probably never will.) that need attention but what I don't want to see even almost happening is console style UI showing up in the PC version. Currently KSP uses MOST of the PC keyboard. I don't even want to imagine trying to do stuff in KSP with anything even remotely resembling a console style UI.

So long as the PC version keeps it's much more capable keyboard & mouse centric UI perhaps with, omg, more information (customizeable KER style data readouts anyone?) then great.

The only thing I hope for from a console version is that it not take away from the PC version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.