Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.0.4/1.0.5 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

Xannari is out of town, so he cant approve your run, but I doubt anyone would mind if you display the badge. Your run looks good, and you have all the required documentation. I'd say go for it. Its not like the KSPolice are going to investigate you for fraud :sticktongue:

So, does that mean I'll have a challenger sometime? (someone else who uses basics?)

Done!

Flight details:

Aircraft: Daedalus V

Crew: Jeb (Captain), Val (Copilot)

MET: 6H 13M 52S

Who needs ETOPS anyway? Went with a four-engine twin hull aircraft. With the best pilots in it, obviously. This is almost definitely not the most efficient or fastest circumnavigation with basic jets. I definitely didn't fly the most optimal flight profile, and landed with 757 (!) fuel left. I designed it to look cool, so there's probably more drag on it than there needs to be to hold the required fuel (particularly since I'm flying two Mk2 cockpits around the world).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Video of the first sunrise over the ocean on YouTube:

Ok guys so here is my attempt!

I got Jeb out and that somehow messed up the F3 panel but the other 33 pictures should serve as proof.

Totally stock, no oxidizer, nothing. AND, I did it in *just* under 1 hour. By 38 seconds!

I love KSP

http://imgur.com/a/3fM1p

Hardly qualifying for the velocity runners, Derpotron takes the roll of the Caboose, bringing up the rear with plain ol' jet engines instead of RAPIERs.

Okay, there are a few entries to grade, so I'll have to skip the witty commentary [i say that like most people don't just take the badge and go, but whatever]

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to post an entry for the fastest time division.

41:52 is the final time.

http://imgur.com/a/4mqeH

Introduction introduction introduction, got papers to grade! Ah, no! And I had those all stacked so neatly and everything...

Oh, hi. Let's see here... Well, everything appears to be in order. If you don't mind though, I've got some paperwork to d- Pile of papers fall down

Ah, papercut!

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/circumnavigator%20resized%20velocity.png

Hey! Welcome back Xanarri!

Now I have an excuse to dust off my plane. Heh heh heh! :)

Edited by GDJ
Did another run that beat 40 minutes 0 seconds, and I didn't want to clutter up the thread.

This is my last time around Kerbin with atmospheric planes.

I'm going to have to give the suborbital challenge a go!

Edited by GDJ

Damn good try Nicky!

Well, I had a brainstorm and I decided to give this one more kick at the cat.

Unofficially, I did this in 39:35 with a single RAPIER, but since I didn't save any pics, It's unofficial. The plane stayed at 1721 m/s for the entire flight at 21250m.

I'll be back tonight. :)

I suck at building planes. Maybe I can test my skills here...

One question. How do I keep my intakes from exploding? They always explode when I go fast enough to see heat effects.

Keep the speed below 900 m/s until you hit 18000m or so, then start to level off slowly and get to above 21000 and slightly below 23000, and punch the gas pedal hard. (between 21000 and 23000 seems to be the sweet spot for altitude and speed).

You need to get into the thinner air to go fast, but you need to be gentle getting up to around 18,000. The thermal effects are pretty nasty below that.

Another trick: stick a stick antenna on the very front of the intakes. It helps deflect some of the air and keeps the parts behind cooler.

Edited by GDJ

Keep the speed below 900 m/s until you hit 18000m or so

I disagree. You can gut up to about 1000m/s almost anywhere above 5000m. Between 10000 and 16000m, take the altitude, divide by 10, and that's your speed target. I've had flights where I've hit 1700+ at around 18000-19000m in about 75-80 seconds. From there, it's a slow-to-moderate climb to cruising altitude which should be determined by heat and fuel concerns. I haven't made a formal entry of it, but I've had a single engine with a flight of 39:25. Multi-engines, I have yet to break 39:17. If you get heating effects too low, the choices are climb faster, lower throttle, use airbrakes, and/or high g maneuvers. Done right, you could be near terminal heating at about 10000-11000 m, but use the need to nose down and level out to prevent additional acceleration until your altitude is adequate to bear it.

MY LAST RUN! I've gone as fast as I possibly can in the air!

The usual start: No oxidizer, all stock parts, RAPIER set to atmospheric, blah blah blah......;)

screenshot0_2.png

TAKE-OFF!

screenshot1_2.png

About 1/2 way around.

screenshot10_1.png

She's a little warm, but all in the green. It's all good! :)

screenshot11_2.png

LANDED!! Nothing flew off (surprisingly....this thing has a nasty shake at 1300 m/s when you cross 4000 metres altitude.....realllllllyyyyy nasty)

screenshot12_1.png

Beauty shot. Airbrake is still up. It worked.

screenshot13_1.png

So.....in the end.

Time: 39 minutes 23 seconds

Average speed: 1722 m/s

Average (locked in) altitude: 21100 metres

Peak altitude: 21165 metres.

Loaded mass: 5.5 tonnes

Dry mass: 4.9 tonnes

This is the fastest I can push a single engine plane, and I'm calling myself retired from this part of the challenge.

Xannari, please update my time in the Velocity Circumnavigation category, and thanks for the challenge! It was alot of fun!

I would like to thank everybody in this thread for their insight in their designs, their advise, and their support. It's much appreciated!

See you all in the suborbital challenge.

ps. Piloting a missile? Heheheheh.....well, maybe a cruise missile, but it's still a plane. :D

Edited by GDJ

Was wondering why no one mentioned my earlier entry, then realized it's not actually stock because navigation lights. Sorry >.<

Updated entry:

Aircraft: Daedalus VI

Crew: Val (Captain), Jeb (Copilot)

MET: 5H 42M 13S

Less than one day on just basic jets!

Fewer pictures, since this is exactly the same flight, but actually all stock this time.

Is this one good enough for a badge?

R2pMUU9l.png

Have always wanted to try this challenge.. :)

This twin J-X4 "Whiplash" Turbo Ramjet Engine completed an equatorial circumnavigation in 1:37:33. The flight was done without quickloads but took almost 8 hrs IRL time with 'pauses'. The craft was reasonably maneuverable but had a strange high speed roll tendency over 23km.

Nv5GU5Sl.png

As I was preoccupied while flying, I forgot to 'pause' and went AFK for too long while on the night side. The aircraft stalled and when I came back was in a flat spin below 10km! Was lucky to get it back into level flight around 7km altitude and powered back to the 21km cruising altitude.

0w6lMVll.png

Coming in for landing, I recalled that this was the plane's maiden flight and I'd never attempted to land it yet. With that in mind, I did a very long, gradual (safe) approach and touched down (with a few bumps) with just under 10% fuel remaining.

Mass on takeoff: 17.2

Fuel: 1800

Engines: 2 Turbo Ramjet Engines

Parts: 27

Circumnavigations: 1

Flight time: 1:37:33

Distance: 1,608,604m

Highest altitude: 27549m

Flight profile: Equatorial 90° heading.

Fuel remaining: 172

Fun challenge.. I may be back. Thanks, Xannari Ferrows! :cool:

Edited by Death Engineering

Was wondering why no one mentioned my earlier entry, then realized it's not actually stock because navigation lights. Sorry >.<

Updated entry:

Aircraft: Daedalus VI

Crew: Val (Captain), Jeb (Copilot)

MET: 5H 42M 13S

Less than one day on just basic jets!

Fewer pictures, since this is exactly the same flight, but actually all stock this time.

http://imgur.com/a/bd22U

Is this one good enough for a badge?

Finally! Someone else uses the Nacelles!

I need to see something about this design. I'm thinking maybe you can go for 2 circumnavigations with a proper flight profile. Certainly this is the pinnacle in the technologies of boredom aerial studies.

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/circumnavigator%20resized.png

well...

3 in one go on 880 fuel.

also, ignore the pilot's name which is totally not a my name with an IV at the end that i edited in because my cousin wanted me too! you see nothing, ok? :blush:

edit: also, many quickloads as the thing was such a good glider it couldn't land properly...

Edited by nicky4096

http://i.imgur.com/R2pMUU9l.png

Have always wanted to try this challenge.. :)

This twin J-X4 "Whiplash" Turbo Ramjet Engine completed an equatorial circumnavigation in 1:37:33. The flight was done without quickloads but took almost 8 hrs IRL time with 'pauses'. The craft was reasonably maneuverable but had a strange high speed roll tendency over 23km.

http://i.imgur.com/Nv5GU5Sl.png

As I was preoccupied while flying, I forgot to 'pause' and went AFK for too long while on the night side. The aircraft stalled and when I came back was in a flat spin below 10km! Was lucky to get it back into level flight around 7km altitude and powered back to the 21km cruising altitude.

http://i.imgur.com/0w6lMVll.png

Coming in for landing, I recalled that this was the plane's maiden flight and I'd never attempted to land it yet. With that in mind, I did a very long, gradual (safe) approach and touched down (with a few bumps) with just under 10% fuel remaining.

Mass on takeoff: 17.2

Fuel: 1800

Engines: 2 Turbo Ramjet Engines

Parts: 27

Flight time: 1:37:33

Distance: 1,608,604m

Highest altitude: 27549m

Flight profile: Equatorial 90° heading.

Fuel remaining: 172

http://imgur.com/a/AUTDU

Fun challenge.. I may be back. Thanks, Xannari Ferrows! :cool:

Good lord. I only read half the message. Not that I don't appreciate all the text or anything.

Everything seems to be in order. This definitely looks like a Laythe plane. Maybe that should be a challenge! I'll need to look into that.

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/circumnavigator%20resized.png

Also, you're distance traveled is quite off. What was your average cruising altitude?

- - - Updated - - -

well...

3 in one go on 880 fuel.

also, ignore the pilot's name which is totally not a my name that i edited in because my cousin wanted me too! you see nothing, ok? :blush:

http://imgur.com/a/aDQeU

Wait, this category still exists?

I'm running out of witty commentary here! I only have so many bottles of the stuff. I can offer sarcasm, though. It's not like anything else really fits me...

Ok.This is my last time ..and Fastest time ..SO ..Im done..i need a life outside off this Challenge!

On the Runway

Jokers Wild:

47.9 t:cool:

AE3DD905D55F1CF458BCBBB9D9FB559486F66CC0

The Standard im on Fire Pic..I was able to pull about 1400 m/s @ 20 to 22,000 most of the way

3A2598EF408F27A222018B4AA0A6D22FDEAB4173

Here i am being Stupid...Cause Really I could have taken at least a min off my time if i didnt have this personal thing about going runway to runway.:huh::huh:

2962E328F40EC418CB5504280349AB3E108592D5

And Final time :

4534D710B76E156224A5DEE4098869B0E5AC9107

B618FB9171B165E4EBA21C372E1AE97FD03E4C22

My personal best at 51 mins and 48 seconds.. Im thinking i can do it in under 50..but i need to go outside tomarrow, maybe kayaking.

Thanks for the Challange and much respect to all the other pilots who have made this run.:cool:

Edited by GraviTykillz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.