MechJeb vs non MechJeb

322997am

MechJeb vs non MechJeb  

489 members have voted

1. 1. MechJeb vs non MechJeb

• Mechjeb
    • Mon MechJeb

After seeing regex's response I thought I wouldn't reply to this, because there were so many threads of the same topic.

But I actually will: KER is all you need. MechJeb takes all the piloting fun from you. Using it you won't learn as fast as without it.

Mechjeb. Yeah, right, "it's cheating" - but there isn't a space agency in the world that demands pilots do all that stuff in their heads, and without it much of KSP would become incredibly boring.

Oh, that thread again. I wonder how far it'll go before being locked :D

And...

MechJeb is cheating

3a7a95187b7b826740bbc67ae3792c84.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you're having fun, you aren't cheating. If you aren't having fun, you're cheating yourself out of having fun.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3a/7a/95/3a7a95187b7b826740bbc67ae3792c84.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you're having fun, you aren't cheating. If you aren't having fun, you're cheating yourself out of having fun.

Right but the problem comes when user A says posts "I just did an Eve return"

If they clipped fueltanks inside fueltanks and used mechjeb to fly the mission, then no, no they did not do an Eve return.

If they clipped fueltanks inside fueltanks and used mechjeb to fly the mission, then no, no they did not do an Eve return.

What if he didn't clip fueltanks? You all make it sound like flying is that big of a challenge which it really isn't unless your rocket is crap and in that case MechJeb won't fly it better than you.

I use mechjeb mainly for the maneuver autopilot. Without it KSP would be considerably less fun for me.

Why do you care? It's a single-player game. They aren't winning anything. They aren't taking money out of your paycheck. If by playing the game this way they are reducing your enjoyment of the game, the only person to blame is, in fact, you.

What if he didn't clip fueltanks? You all make it sound like flying is that big of a challenge which it really isn't unless your rocket is crap and in that case MechJeb won't fly it better than you.

I use mechjeb mainly for the maneuver autopilot. Without it KSP would be considerably less fun for me.

MechJeb is cheating... ...On challenges. If your using MechJeb for funsies, ok. But if you use MechJeb on a challenge, and get the same badge and recognition of someone who did it legitimately, your a dirty little cheat and should be banned from all challenges.

MechJeb is cheating... ...On challenges. If your using MechJeb for funsies, ok. But if you use MechJeb on a challenge, and get the same badge and recognition of someone who did it legitimately, your a dirty little cheat and should be banned from all challenges.

I think thats a little bit besides the point since most challenges are stock only anyway.

MechJeb is by no means unrealistic, hell, the RAPIER is less realistic than MechJeb

- - - Updated - - -

After thousands of launches, I still enjoy flying my rockets into orbit.

The most I go with mechjeb on actual launch is semiautomatic guidance (lock on to course vector, and manually control throttle and staging), my main use for mechjeb is for rendezvous or transfer burns, also precise orbit corrections

The node editor is indispensable for multiple flyby missions. And when I'm trying to optimize a takeoff or landing profile the repeatability of software is extremely useful. I enjoy KSP more with Mechjeb.

I think that Mechjeb should be stock! It's probably more 'realistic' to use it, at least in the simulation aspect of the game. I'm not a NASA pilot, but I would imagine that NASA would love to have a MechJeb system on all of their equipment!

MechJeb isn't cheating in my house. I used to use it all the time, pre 0.90 days. I don't have it installed now, installed KER instead, but I miss MJ. It is significantly better at holding a specific heading than the stock SAS, and the maneuver node editor is superb. On the other hand, I've been through a full career on both 0.90 and 1.0x without it. To be honest, I have no idea why I haven't installed it.

I think that Mechjeb should be stock! It's probably more 'realistic' to use it, at least in the simulation aspect of the game. I'm not a NASA pilot, but I would imagine that NASA would love to have a MechJeb system on all of their equipment!
Nah, its not good enough for the stock game. Makes little sense to have an autopilot if it can't fly all the ships you could theoretically build.

No MechJeb here. I don't see MechJeb, or any other mod, as cheating; I see them for what they are - enhancements. I prefer however to play a near vanilla game, minimal mods ... Stock Bug Fixes, SCANsat, and (if it ever comes back) the Lazor Docking Cameras.

I use mechjeb, and would have lost interest in the game by now without it.

1. Trying to transfer to another planet by trial and error, or by having to go to a website that tells you a rough approximation of where and when to burn, is not fun. The lack of any way to know when the launch window for a particular planet is, is a huge oversight by Squad.

2. I know how to do all the things MJ does, I just find them tedious to do after 1600 hours in the game.

3. Getting into orbit from Kerbin was fun and challenging - the first 20 times I did it. Now I use ascent guidance and go read Drudge Report for a few.

4. Again, using trial and error to figure out if my rocket could reach orbit was fun and challenging - the first 50 times I did it. Now I am content for MJ to tell me what my D/V and TWR are.

I do all landings manually, though, and docking.

Edited by RocketBlam

MechJeb is cheating though.

Actually, using any mods is cheating. Feels good to be 100% stock again...

Place bets on the admin to lock this thread? I think RIC is online but invisible, so my bets on him...

Using a mouse is cheating, come to think of it using a computer screen is also cheating, keyboard, computer....cheating. Go to your nearest tree, find a giant rubber band and using a comalong pull the rubberband backwards and tie it off with a strong rope, then place yourself in the rubber band and cut the rope.......that's not cheating.

I was reading the game advertisement on Amazon today, it says game is mod friendly with lots of mods to download online, so if modding is cheating . . . . . . .

I use KER for most informational readouts and MJ for the other few, as well as executing maneuvers I set up and non atmospheric landings. I still babysit mechjeb because it will mess up from time to time

I only use Mechjeb to help me with Hexa and Octo-docking 2,000 to 4,000-ton ships at 1 FPS.

Everyone can play this game however they want. Personally, other than the above mentioned case, I usually play pure stock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.