Is playing KSP cheating?

Robotengineer

Do you feel cheaty playing KSP?

I kind of do, I mean, if you really want to have a real space program, you should just go out and start one right? Plus the system is so small, like, the ∆V requirements are less than half what they are IRL, so that must be cheating. Then there are the engines, which are cheating because they use this LiquidFuel and Oxidizer stuff, which isn't really real, so that has to be cheating. Then there are reaction wheels, which are just plain cheating.

So isn't the whole game a cheat? Sure, you may not have the capital to start your own space program but that's no excuse for not doing a bottle rocket or something.

/sarcasm

Most people cheat in real life*. Therefore cheating is accurate.

[* on an amateur basis, viz speeding, adultery, etc. (common misdemeanors) or professionally, as politicians, lawyers or accountants (who specifically 'game' the system). Don't even mention sports!]

I used to leave a stick on one bittle rocket.and tape just the heads of others to it so it would have a higher TWR (although I didn't know there was a term for it).

The never all fired at once so it would do this quick spshh spshh spshhh as each kicked in and it accelerated faster.

Sometimes the first would fire and it would slowly push itself out of the bottle and tip over before the other "stages" kicked in and it'd shoot horizontally.

From that point of view, all games are "cheating"

First you need to define what cheating is. The popular definition is:

"act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination."

See the last words "especially in a game". So if you are playing by the rules of the game (and make no mistake, KSP is a game), then you aren't cheating

Do you feel cheaty playing KSP?

I kind of do, I mean, if you really want to have a real space program, you should just go out and start one right? Plus the system is so small, like, the ∆V requirements are less than half what they are IRL, so that must be cheating. Then there are the engines, which are cheating because they use this LiquidFuel and Oxidizer stuff, which isn't really real, so that has to be cheating. Then there are reaction wheels, which are just plain cheating.

So isn't the whole game a cheat? Sure, you may not have the capital to start your own space program but that's no excuse for not doing a bottle rocket or something.

/sarcasm

:D Knew something was going to happen when stuff started going bad in the original thread, but wasn't expecting this :)

Just to point out, in that thread I didn't really mean "cheating" as such, but "do you find it more rewarding to find a more realistic solution than to use reaction wheels", and I wasn't trying to look/feel better than anyone else, just to see what other people thought. I can see the problem people had with the thread though.

For the people taking this thread seriously, it's a parody type thing of those "is (x) cheating" threads, the most recent of which was a thread I started asking if people found reaction wheels on rovers and vtols "cheaty", not realising at the time that "cheaty" was not the best a really really bad way of putting it, and not really what I meant at all.

Edited by BlueCanary

:D Knew something was going to happen when stuff started going bad in the original thread, but wasn't expecting this :)

Just to point out, in that thread I didn't really mean "cheating" as such, but "do you find it more rewarding to find a more realistic solution than to use reaction wheels", and I wasn't trying to look/feel better than anyone else, just to see what other people thought. I can see the problem people had with the thread though.

This thread wasn't in response to your thread primarily, but rather to the general 'Is [some feature, mod, etc.] cheating?' vibe. There seems to be a thread like that floating around almost always.

This thread wasn't in response to your thread primarily, but rather to the general 'Is [some feature, mod, etc.] cheating?' vibe. There seems to be a thread like that floating around almost always.

*pokes fire with a stick of dynamite* Mechjeb anyone? *runs and hides*

No MJ. That's cheating on cheating.

I wonder if anyone played a challenge of "No Time Warp, ever."

That would be interesting, to set your alarm clock to 3AM because your craft returning from Minmus is about to enter the atmosphere, or waiting for a month for a transfer window.

Edited by Sharpy

unless you cover your screen with a towel and dock completely blind (using only the force) while sitting in a industrial tumble dryer (to simulate disorientation) then yes, it's totally cheating. Why, how do you guys play?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.