Video Wednesday: Minds Blown

SQUAD

Hey, just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words. This is a great community compared to, well, just about everywhere else online.

How much RL planning went into this?!

About two weeks of pre-mission planning (mostly flying a probe around with help from HyperEdit and MechJeb), then about a month on the actual mission, then another week putting the video together. It was enough work that I'm taking a little break from KSP now, but I'll be back eventually. :)

After a lot of challenges put at "Scott Manley" level, when considered almost impossible, you put the whole KSP at a new level!

Now every one should consider the "Chicknblender level" as the next one :D

He was probably happy just to ditch that 192 year old soiled diaper....

a) it is reasonable to assume the refuelling stations had snacks, a restroom, a fresh pair of socks, the latest news from home, and some cold beers.

B) please. never ever make that specific idea into a mod. thank you ;-)

That's pretty impressive!

I was going to ask two questions but the first has been answered and it the answer is 620 metres per second, the second question was just how long can a kerbal survive in an EVA suit?

That's pretty impressive!

I was going to ask two questions but the first has been answered and it the answer is 620 metres per second, the second question was just how long can a kerbal survive in an EVA suit?

Unless you are using a life support mod, forever

This is a terrific accomplishment. However, before we declare the final great challenge of KSP to have been mastered, I do believe there is still room to improve upon it slightly. The chick'n is blended (as it were), but we can kick that blender up to frappe!

It has been shown in this thread that under optimal conditions, it is possible to reach low Münar orbit from the Mün's surface using only a jetpack. It is therefore also possible to descend from low Münar orbit to the surface using only a jetpack, if you are a wicked-(seat of the)ass pilot like chicknblender obviously is.

So, by landing a refueling capsule on the Mün (as was done for a few other celestial bodies in the video), it ought to be possible to complete a jetpack-only grand tour that includes planting a flag on the Mün! Fuel margins for this mission would be almost unbelievably thin, and the risk of missing the return rendezvous high. But I contend it could be done (by a better pilot than I).

So who's going to frappe the chick'n and complete the greatest physically possible grand tour?

Edited by Yakky

So, by landing a refueling capsule on the Mun (as was done for a few other celestial bodies in the video), it ought to be possible to complete a jetpack-only grand tour that includes planting a flag on the Mun!

You have no idea how close I was to doing this. It's heartbreaking. Problem was, I couldn't get into stable orbit around Mun with more than 0.05 units of EVA propellant left. Sadly, that's just not enough to rendezvous. Even with near-perfect technique, the Kerbal wastes a decent amount of propellant on maintaining orientation. So I submit that this challenge is, indeed, impossible. If somebody can prove me wrong on this, I will be most impressed. :)

HOWEVER, this mission could well be improved upon. If I was masochistic enough -- and I'm not -- I believe that I could complete the same mission with 1 less station in Kerbin orbit, 3 less stations in Eve orbit, no station in Duna orbit, and 1 less station in Dres orbit. That takes the number of lander cans from 22 down to 16. Any takers?

Edited by chicknblender

You have no idea how close I was to doing this. It's heartbreaking. Problem was, I couldn't get into stable orbit around Mun with more than 0.05 units of EVA propellant left. Sadly, that's just not enough to rendezvous. Even with near-perfect technique, the Kerbal wastes a decent amount of propellant on maintaining orientation. So I submit that this challenge is, indeed, impossible. If somebody can prove me wrong on this, I will be most impressed. :)

Wow.... impressive that you actually tried! And I'm still in awe of your overall achievement.

I messed around with Mun EVA orbits a bit and have a solution for you on maintaining orientation: Immediately after takeoff, change your camera view to Orbital by using the V key. This prevents the perspective from changing on you at inopportune times and spinning your Kerbal around. And of course, as you point out, make sure the capsule door is oriented optimally for your return before you step out.

Also (you probably already know this), avoid using two perpendicular thrusters at once since it wastes fuel. Keep the guy pointed prograde and use only one thruster.

I ran some tests and got into orbit from an equatorial ~4800m starting point with 0.10 units of fuel left despite accidentally boosting my apoapsis up to 27km. (Unfortunately periapsis was only about 5000m and I impacted a mountain before completing the circularization.) This makes me think it should be possible to circularize at around 8 km with at least 0.12-0.15 units remaining if done perfectly. I also confirmed an EVA landing from an ~8km orbit is possible. The real challenge, as you point out, is making it back to your capsule on what little propellant you have left after reaching orbit. What if you spam 4-5 capsules in a little cluster so you have betters odds of being near one?

BTW I created a challenge on exactly this idea, inspired by what you've accomplished.

HOWEVER, this mission could well be improved upon. If I was masochistic enough -- and I'm not -- I believe that I could complete the same mission with 1 less station in Kerbin orbit, 3 less stations in Eve orbit, no station in Duna orbit, and 1 less station in Dres orbit. That takes the number of lander cans from 22 down to 16. Any takers?

I don't see any point in masochism. You've already proven it can be done! :-) But it might make an interesting challenge for others.

Edited by Yakky

So now Scott Manley isnt the KSP God. About time.

No, Felix Nomsundraketenexplosion is the great space-going feline deity of Kerbonauts, fearlessly and endlessly struggling against the Great Space Kraken. (Well, that's so in my Kerbiverse, anyway). The likes of Scott and Cory are merely Felix's main acolytes.

Jolly well done, Cory, and thank you so much with sharing such an entertaining and awe-inspiring video of your feat with us!

Esme

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.