LiquidHype's Real Scale Launch Vehicles (RETIRED)

liquidhype

Which launch vehicle would you like to see next?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which launch vehicle would you like to see next?

• Titan IV (A & B)
    • Ariane 4 (All configurations)
    • ULA Vulcan
    • Other (specify in the comments)

Really? I can't even land my flyback stages, even with MechJeb. Why don't they just use chutes IRL?

Elon Musk said it was because of the chutes' weight. The chutes would need to be massive in order to do a PAL (parachute assisted landing) of the first stage. More mass = more fuel, more fuel = more expensive to launch :) It was easier and cheaper to use the hypersonic grid fins and the single merlin engine to do a propulsive landing. And if I might add, it looks way more awesome doing the propulsive landing :)

So I would assume that this applies to any launcher trying to recover any of the stages/engines.

Elon Musk said it was because of the chutes' weight. The chutes would need to be massive in order to do a PAL (parachute assisted landing) of the first stage. More mass = more fuel, more fuel = more expensive to launch :) It was easier and cheaper to use the hypersonic grid fins and the single merlin engine to do a propulsive landing. And if I might add, it looks way more awesome doing the propulsive landing :)

So I would assume that this applies to any launcher trying to recover any of the stages/engines.

Meh, in KSP we don't have chute weight issues xD

He's not doing it now because Kart is. liquidhype's working on Vulcan.

Seems like everyone is making everything these days :P Another person is apparently also making Vulcan, but we came to an agreement where I would make a Vulcan for RSSRO and the other person would make Vulcan for stock :) Problem solved.

I already finished my Delta III, but Kartoffelkuchen is (hopefully?) releasing his with Launchers Pack :) My Delta III is just for personal use, as there is really no point of having multiple of the same rockets.

Seems like everyone is making everything these days :P Another person is apparently also making Vulcan, but we came to an agreement where I would make a Vulcan for RSSRO and the other person would make Vulcan for stock :) Problem solved.

I already finished my Delta III, but Kartoffelkuchen is (hopefully?) releasing his with Launchers Pack :) My Delta III is just for personal use, as there is really no point of having multiple of the same rockets.

Who is making the stock Vulcan?

Who is making the stock Vulcan?

I just checked my inbox now (couldn't remember who was making it), and apparently Triston is the one who said he was already making the Vulcan. I said I could release mine as a RSSRO-only version, and he could release his as a stock version :)

I just checked my inbox now (couldn't remember who was making it), and apparently Triston is the one who said he was already making the Vulcan. I said I could release mine as a RSSRO-only version, and he could release his as a stock version :)
He quit making his CST-100 mod, he's not making Vulcan now.

He quit making his CST-100 mod, he's not making Vulcan now.

Would have been nice if he let me know (= But oh well, I'll still release my Vulcan whenever I finish it. If he doesn't release one, I'll just add a separate stock config for mine so that people can use it regardless of RSSRO or not.

I don't think I have mentioned in this thread yet that I love the Vega and can't wait to use it for something of mine.

While I am here, I saw you talking about ETC. I think it was discontinued as a stand-alone, and is now part of the RealFuels.dll by default. That makes it very convenient. You don't need any other RF changes or CFGs to make it run, just two DLLs, SolverEngines and RealFuels (they come together). I do this for stock games too. You still need to make your own CFG for your own parts to manage the curves though.

I don't think I have mentioned in this thread yet that I love the Vega and can't wait to use it for something of mine.

While I am here, I saw you talking about ETC. I think it was discontinued as a stand-alone, and is now part of the RealFuels.dll by default. That makes it very convenient. You don't need any other RF changes or CFGs to make it run, just two DLLs, SolverEngines and RealFuels (they come together). I do this for stock games too. You still need to make your own CFG for your own parts to manage the curves though.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it :)

As for ETC, I'll get that all sorted out as soon as I finish up my current projects, which are my priority right now.

Are these launchers compatible within ksp 64 bit.? They seem to have way too much delta v. Tried to launch Vega stock and Vega stock stock from the craft files provided and still same result. I have Ro and real fuel ,Rss installed , removed etc and any engine controlled mod.

Edited by emb110

I started working on Vulcan but stopped because it is basically just an Atlas V with a fancy paintjob

That's not even close to correct. Vulcan has a 5m core, will have a more effecient, more powerful engine and eventually use an even more powerful upper stage. Vulcan + ACES ( the new upper stage) + 6 SRBS = more powerful than a Delta Heavy, while only 1/3 the price.

In the download are two craftfiles for every rocket. One for RSS/RO (without stock in the filename) and one for stock (with stock in the filename). stock(stock) is happening when you load the stock.craft and then klick to Save. Now you have two craftfiles. The first one is the original and the second your own saved craft.

That's not even close to correct. Vulcan has a 5m core, will have a more effecient, more powerful engine and eventually use an even more powerful upper stage. Vulcan + ACES ( the new upper stage) + 6 SRBS = more powerful than a Delta Heavy, while only 1/3 the price.

Obviously I know that ;) If you'd taken the time to continue reading you would have realized I was only making a joke. You don't need to explain to me how the different Vulcan configurations are going to work.

Obviously I know that ;) If you'd taken the time to continue reading you would have realized I was only making a joke. You don't need to explain to me how the different Vulcan configurations are going to work.
I am hyped for that Vulcan.

Do you think they will make a new launch pad for Vulcan at Cape Canaveral?

Are these launchers compatible within ksp 64 bit.? They seem to have way too much delta v. Tried to launch Vega stock and Vega stock stock from the craft files provided and still same result. I have Ro and real fuel ,Rss installed , removed etc and any engine controlled mod.

After the stock config files was put into the download you have to choose between either the stock .craft files and configs, or the RSS .craft files and configs. You're not supposed to have both in one install, as the stock craft will be very under-powered for RSS and the RSS craft vastly overpowered for stock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.