[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

1 minute ago, JoseEduardo said:

I used to like Linux (namely Ubuntu) but then I returned to windows because of FSX and many steam games :P

@Jimbodiah let's hope 1.1 comes soon :P

I used to be a game junkie on Windows, but I am now a strict KSP player. Every day, all day (I have no life). I figured, why not switch to Linux just to play KSP and dual boot. While it is hassle to switch between the two. I generally spend most of my time in Linux, usually on KSP and trying out mods to see what kind of space program I want. After over 1000 hours of game play, I have yet to figure out what I want to do, because it seems like I dig in the forums and find something new to try and I like it. I came across this mod by mere happenstance. Started reading all about it, looking at all the work @Shadowmage done to make this a very unique diamond in the rough. Needless to say, I've found my lifter/lander pack. And this is just the beginning? I can't wait to see what's in store. 

On a side note, I've started looking into trying to figure out how to make mods (mainly IVAs) and needless to say, I think i stepped into the deep end of a pool of concrete, but I think with time, I'll get the hang of it. Plus, you have to remember: I was doing graphics on Quick Basic, before all this fancy 3-d graphic software came out (yes, I'm an old fart). At the same time, you have to remember my first computer was a Radio Shack (Tandy) 1000. You had to hook it up to the television for a monitor and if you wanted to save anything, you had to save it on cassette tape. And I was one of the first kids on the block to get an Atari console. And this was before I got cable, so putting it on channel 3 or 4 was an option I could live with since there was nothing on those channels anyways but white noise. 

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

frizz said you can use his parts as long as you credit him... but I fi d the sstu lander far more practical. Like lynwood said, just polish it up with gold foil instead of orange and add some other fuel options.

Also take note your engine library is becoming huge at this point. The AJ is cute, but I will never use the clusters of these, they are just eating RAM on my end.

It might be an idea to split sstu up into 2-3 seperate mods... This is my main gripe with Fasa and Chaka, they are so huge and cause ksp to crash with tons of parts I will never use.

I have considered splitting the mod up; and it likely will happen.  But not until everything is done and I know where/what to split.  So... maybe next year at around this time?  Until then any attempt to split things up would merely hinder development and make packaging a headache.

Would split it into divisions mirroring the part-series;  ShipCore, Engines(technically part of ShipCore, but big enough to stand alone), StationCore, BaseCore, RoverCore, SatelliteCore, LanderCore, etc.  So you can have just the lifter parts, just the engines, or download them all for the whole package.

Sounds good!  I tend to use 4-5 engines out of the package for all my build, a lot of the clusters seem redundant as they are mostly so low in thrust that it makes more sense to use a single RS25 or J2 to keep the size down: a 5m mount for <200 thrust seems illogical.

PS: I just installed the Community ISS mod. Beside half the parts being buggy and not attaching, I found the solar panels to have an awesome feature; they don't just turn around their axis to follow the sun, but the entire frame also rotates to keep the panels facing the sun. Maybe an option for your station core parts ;)

2 hours ago, lynwoodm said:

I used to be a game junkie on Windows, but I am now a strict KSP player. Every day, all day (I have no life). I figured, why not switch to Linux just to play KSP and dual boot. While it is hassle to switch between the two. I generally spend most of my time in Linux, usually on KSP and trying out mods to see what kind of space program I want. After over 1000 hours of game play, I have yet to figure out what I want to do, because it seems like I dig in the forums and find something new to try and I like it. I came across this mod by mere happenstance. Started reading all about it, looking at all the work @Shadowmage done to make this a very unique diamond in the rough. Needless to say, I've found my lifter/lander pack. And this is just the beginning? I can't wait to see what's in store. 

On a side note, I've started looking into trying to figure out how to make mods (mainly IVAs) and needless to say, I think i stepped into the deep end of a pool of concrete, but I think with time, I'll get the hang of it. Plus, you have to remember: I was doing graphics on Quick Basic, before all this fancy 3-d graphic software came out (yes, I'm an old fart). At the same time, you have to remember my first computer was a Radio Shack (Tandy) 1000. You had to hook it up to the television for a monitor and if you wanted to save anything, you had to save it on cassette tape. And I was one of the first kids on the block to get an Atari console. And this was before I got cable, so putting it on channel 3 or 4 was an option I could live with since there was nothing on those channels anyways but white noise. 

Hehe... my first computer, and programming, experience was on an Atari 1040 AT -- monochrome (yes, Atari made computers too); single 3 1/2 floppy drive, no HDD.  Was a huge upgrade when we stepped up to a 1040ST, with color monitor :).  Eventually we had a huge external hard-drive (optional -- no such thing as integrated hard drives)... I think it was like 80mb... Could fit -many- floppy disks worth of games on there :).  It used the same wonderful 1-button joystics as the Atari consoles.  And yes Q-Basic was where I started programming too;  heh, nothing like the structured programming languages I use now, but you gotta start somewhere.

So, you can take solace in the fact that you are not the only 'old fart' around, though it sounds like you may still have a year or two on me :).

IVAs -- well, theres two sides to making IVAs.  The first is the initial geometry and texturing.  For this you need some pretty decent skills at modeling/etc.  This is the part that I despise; trying to make internal geometry is....hell.  The second part of making IVAs is done in Unity, and pretty much consists of drag-and-drop the props into place, rotating them properly, and hitting the 'export' button -- any semi-trained monkey -should- be able to do that part.  (Yes, even setting up RPM props/IVAs is that simple).

If you can make it through the first part, let me know, and I can probably help you figure out the Unity/prop setup stuff.  Sorry I can't help on the modeling; it gives me hell as it is, and I'm afraid any suggestions I may have are likely wrong/misguided.

14 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Sounds good!  I tend to use 4-5 engines out of the package for all my build, a lot of the clusters seem redundant as they are mostly so low in thrust that it makes more sense to use a single RS25 or J2 to keep the size down: a 5m mount for <200 thrust seems illogical.

PS: I just installed the Community ISS mod. Beside half the parts being buggy and not attaching, I found the solar panels to have an awesome feature; they don't just turn around their axis to follow the sun, but the entire frame also rotates to keep the panels facing the sun. Maybe an option for your station core parts ;)

Multi-axis tracking panels -- already planned and on the features-list, see the notes regarding the station solar truss parts (no clue where those notes actually are; I've got bits of info scattered across three wikis and the issues system...)

Edit:   https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/wiki/Parts---Master-List#station-core

Edited by Shadowmage

12 hours ago, planeguy868 said:

Do you have plans to make cut-down AJ10 and service module for the Apollo craft?

As in the service module from Eyes Turned Skyward, like this.

apollo_block_iii_vanilla_small.png?w=750

Nope.

However, see the notes on the Modular Service Module parts -- these will be resizable service modules done in the fashion of the ModularUpperStage parts (with integrated RCS/solar/transmitters/etc), though they will -not- have integrated engines (cannot swap engine models, so need to leave it node-based so you can use an engine appropriate to the size). (Going to -try- to allow swappable engines, but I don't think it will work out due to stock limitations on how the engine modules function; would also be a big sloppy mess trying to allow patching and RO/RSS compatibility).

Will likely be a couple base geometry variants (like the MUS parts), which can have diameter and radius changed independently (so you can make a little shorty if you want).  Some of the variants will have integrated solar panels.  The integrated RCS ports positions will be adjustable so that you can balance them for the intended payload.

16 hours ago, planeguy868 said:

Do you have plans to make cut-down AJ10 and service module for the Apollo craft?

As in the service module from Eyes Turned Skyward, like this.

apollo_block_iii_vanilla_small.png?w=750

Another developer has taken this under his wing and has a workable set of parts that deal with ETS in this fashion. Unfortunately, he didn't get around to making the lander. But, he did however remake the Apollo-style rocket with this sm/cm. Take a look.

15 hours ago, Nertea said:

Those are some hugely top notch looking engines. Very nice work.

Thank you :)  Truly, that means a lot to me coming from you;  I have always held your work in the highest regard, and the styling and amount of detail in your parts has always been an inspiration to me.

36 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

@lynwoodm that is one cool looking mod. Now I have three cool apollo rockets :). I like the LEM pedal fairing and detailing on all the parts. very cpu unfriendly though.

Yeah, I noticed that it was a cpu cookie monster. His SLS is the same way, but pretty none the less. DECQ did take a lot of time in exacting detail, but not really practical for the current version of KSP. Maybe it will be alright for 1.1.

Some suggestions:

1. add a CoM Offset for the reentry-able crew modules, to make reentries having a smaller G-force less painful(?).
  2. Add RF support to all engines(I made some, DL posted below but somehow doesn't work for me unfinished yet)(needs clusters' configs apply AFTER realfuels)
  3. ?????

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BEBF8E98DF54F75A!3611&authkey=!AGdsPpeYliwCxzM&ithint=file%2ccfg

Edited by 01010101lzy

Updated testing pre-release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.24-pre4

Fixes up some issues with lights module, adds controls to parachute module (action group, altitudes, safety stuff), splits texture sets off into separate sub-folder, and includes a bit more detail work on the SM texture.  See the link for the full change-log.

This marks the completion of the 0.3.24 goals (SC-A CM/SM/BPC), so will be republished and marked as the new recommended version in a few days if no major bugs are found.

Next week - rework of Orion command module (geometry mostly done already), and perhaps the BPC/SM as well. 

16 hours ago, blowfish said:

Maintaining engine configs is really not the responsibility of individual mods.  They are part of either RF Stockalike or RO

I know, so what I should do is to post this to the RF Stockalike post, right?

--edit--

It seems that RO already has configs for this, but not RFStockalike.

In fact I do write RF configs for my own mod, because I don't think it could be recognized by RFStockalike's author. Plus, a pre-written config could reduce the work needed to do after update, and players could update configs faster, needn't to wait for the RFStockalike author.

Edited by 01010101lzy

1 hour ago, 01010101lzy said:

I know, so what I should do is to post this to the RF Stockalike post, right?

--edit--

It seems that RO already has configs for this, but not RFStockalike.

In fact I do write RF configs for my own mod, because I don't think it could be recognized by RFStockalike's author. Plus, a pre-written config could reduce the work needed to do after update, and players could update configs faster, needn't to wait for the RFStockalike author.

Well maybe I should stop talking for other people, but I do recall Shadowmage saying that including compatibility patches in SSTU wasn't worth spending time on.

But if you know how to make RF stockalike configs, there's a better option.  Create the configs and submit a pull request on github (and RF stockalike's config website).  Raptor831 is very receptive to this sort of contribution (and I've done it in the past).  It still has to be updated with every SSTU release, regardless of what repository it's in.

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

Well maybe I should stop talking for other people, but I do recall Shadowmage saying that including compatibility patches in SSTU wasn't worth spending time on.

But if you know how to make RF stockalike configs, there's a better option.  Create the configs and submit a pull request on github (and RF stockalike's config website).  Raptor831 is very receptive to this sort of contribution (and I've done it in the past).  It still has to be updated with every SSTU release, regardless of what repository it's in.

OK, I see. Thanks for explaining, and I'll do contributions to it!

21 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Fuel switch with Community Resources would be cool though.

Also a possibility to have the antennas (like the new HGA on the Apollo capsule) support RemoteTech?

More fuel types = will investigate once I know that the parts won't be requiring constant changing anymore.  With the mod being under an open-source license now, it is a bit easier to allow dependencies/etc, so CRP fuel-switch stuff is certainly something that could be looked into.

RemoteTech - Another instance of I do not use it, so I'm not going to go out of my way to add patches/etc for it (never even played with it, so wouldn't even know where to begin).  If someone would like to submit some, I'm more than open to PRs/etc.

Create a text file and rename it to something like  RemoteTech_SSTU.cfg . It can be place in RemoteTech or SSTU, as you wish.

Then paste this into it:

Spoiler

@PART[SSTU_ShipCore_A_SM]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
    !MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
    {
        %allowManualControl = false
    }    

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
        %Mode0DishRange = 0
        %Mode1DishRange = 40000000
        %EnergyCost = 0.73
        %MaxQ = 6000
        %DishAngle = 45.00

%DeployFxModules = 8

%TRANSMITTER {
            %PacketInterval = 0.3
            %PacketSize = 2
            %PacketResourceCost = 15.0
        }
    }

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

Range might be off a bit. I didn't play stock in a long time. Also, this is a directional antena, might still need a omni antena if you want to connect to both Kerbin and Mun lander. Easy solution is a passive antenna in the command module itself:

Spoiler

@PART[SSTU_ShipCore_CM]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
    }

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive]    {
        %TechRequired = unmannedTech
        %OmniRange = 250000

%TRANSMITTER {
            %PacketInterval = 0.3
            %PacketSize = 2
            %PacketResourceCost = 15.0
        }
    }
}

Adding a CoM offset to command pods may be a good idea...

(or maybe develop a module to change CoM offset in flight?)

//CoM Offset for lifting reentry
@PART[SSTU_ShipCore_B_CM]
{
	%CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.07
}
@PART[SSTU_ShipCore_A_CM]
{
	%CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.05
}
@PART[SSTU_ShipCore_A_CMX]
{
	%CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.05
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.