The Windows 10 Megathread!

kenbobo

Command line? you mean cmd.exe?

aswell as that, where would I find Windows Update

Yes, cmd.exe is the command line. Right click it and run as admin. Windows Update can be accessed through the control panel, or you can just type "Windows Update" in the start menu's search bar and it should show up.

Alright, so it seems that there are two alternative methods of installing if Windows Update refuses to do its thing. You can download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website and use that to download and install the update directly, or you can create a bootable USB and then browse to the drive and run setup.exe to install. Both of these should count as an "update" instead of a "clean install", so it should be able to associate your product key with the new version. This won't happen if you actually boot the installer from the USB drive as it can only be used to perform a clean installation or to repair a broken one, so you must use Windows Update or the two abovementioned methods to perform the first installation.

I'm currently using the Media Creation Tool to do a direct update. Will report back with results once it's done.

Im so happy this rocks

cortana has what does the fox say

Cortana what does the fox say

Cortana what does the fox say

CORTANA WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY

​how dare you.

KasperVld seems to have installed it no probs

. His tweet was quoted in this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/windows/11769761/Windows-10-launch-live.html

Im so happy this rocks

cortana has what does the fox say

Yep, I've been using Cortana for a long time on my phone. You can also ask her to sing a song or tell a joke, or ask about the weather. She's quite smart and great for booking calendar appointments and reminders.

Does anyone here know how to install Windows 10 without the use of the Windows icon on the task bar? The latest Windows 8.1 updates failed to install because of Error 80070246 (which I can't find a fix for anywhere), so I don't have that.

Does anyone here know how to install Windows 10 without the use of the Windows icon on the task bar? The latest Windows 8.1 updates failed to install because of Error 80070246 (which I can't find a fix for anywhere), so I don't have that.

Yes, open Command Prompt as an administrator, then type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" and hit enter. Make sure windows update is open or running when you do this.

Ok, I can confirm the way stated here (the one with cmd.exe) does not work. You have to go to Microsofts website, (Here's where you go: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install )

Download the 64x or the 32x version depending on what your PC is, Mine was 64 bit.

Then run that and its pretty straight-forward from there.

Ok, I can confirm the way stated here (the one with cmd.exe) does not work. You have to go to Microsofts website, (Here's where you go: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install )

Download the 64x or the 32x version depending on what your PC is, Mine was 64 bit.

Then run that and its pretty straight-forward from there.

And that works on prebuilt without having to enter a product key? My laptop i'm running the tool on now, is, well, a laptop.

And that works on prebuilt without having to enter a product key? My laptop i'm running the tool on now, is, well, a laptop.

Yes, It's not just an ISO, when you launch it there is an option to "Update This PC Now".

thanks, no turning back now. Verifying download.

Actually even on a pre-built pre-installed PC, there is a turning back option. You can revert to your old version of windows for a month after install.

Of course if you have an installation disc and key, you can reinstall forever. Also most pre-builts have a recovery partition if you don't mind wiping your PC completely.

I've got 3 computers. One is getting kinda old, and one I refuse to just toss a whole new operating system on willy-nilly. The third is the one I want to install 10 on to see how it is.

Guess which of the 3 has not yet gotten the "you can upgrade any time you want!" message... :mad:

I've got 3 computers. One is getting kinda old, and one I refuse to just toss a whole new operating system on willy-nilly. The third is the one I want to install 10 on to see how it is.

Guess which of the 3 has not yet gotten the "you can upgrade any time you want!" message... :mad:

LOL. You can just download the upgrader, you know. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.