So I decided to make an engine cluster with SpaceY parts.

Whackjob

Copy-pasting this here from Reddit, since it applies, given the preceeding statement.

And just a quick note to explain all the trussing and struts on the outside. The upper-mind and the lower trusses are actually connected to the engines that were rotated inside that tank. The fuel lines you can see run from that can to the trusses attached to the tanks. That's what lets the fuel flow freely to the engines from the tank stack you can put above it. And since the upper mid and lower trusses are on the engines, the upper and lower-mid trusses are attached to the tanks. The struts connect the trusses from the engines and the trusses from the tanks. That's what keeps the engines inside safely pointed DOWN, despite the hellacious amounts of thrust!

I'd rewrite it just for the forums special like but I'm in a hurry to be ready for the office.

Edited by Whackjob

The whole "blowing up in atmosphere" is clearly caused by going too fast, too low. Some people would suggest madness like throttling down or "less boosters", when clearly the solution is more payload.

Yes, that's clearly madness. The proper solution is to deploy drogue chutes on ascent to keep the beast from running wild ;)

The whole "blowing up in atmosphere" is clearly caused by going too fast, too low. Some people would suggest madness like throttling down or "less boosters", when clearly the solution is more payload.

Clearly, whack is trying to get to space before the heating is computed and becomes a problem... ... :P

Welcome back whack!

Jesus, how are you going to do that?

Well, you can kind of see that in the original engine cluster, there's effectively a ring of 24 of the largest engines rotated inside the fuel tank.

... I *think* I know of a way to stagger them in a different sort of way, that would allow me to fit in more. Double I'm certain I could do. Maaaybe triple. We'll see.

Calls for science.

Figured out a way to build an engine cluster that has 1,478,400 thrust. Problem is I half-arsed it and the reinforcement isn't enough. So I have to redo it. Test launches had it shred the second it left the pad. Too much go-juice for an imperfect truss cage job.

So I will do it again.

This guy knows his stuff. :D

Good lord, that thing is huge.

Only surviving photo.

237EAB9BAB903512C8D800D9D2037F7AEDA9FD3A

Not reinforced anywhere near enough. Kraken shreds it right on the pad. I can fix it. I can make it work.

... but later. I should be sleeping now. I'll take another Whack at it. I promise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.