Windows 10 has built-in game recording!

xtoro

Anyone see this yet? SO AWESOME! When playing a fullscreen game, hit the Windows Key+G to bring up a popup menu in-game. There's options here for stuff, but the big one is game recording! Saves as MP4 and you can trim it beforehand right within the XBOX app. Just click on the "Game DVR" tab, edit and upload to YouTube!

Finally a good free way to screen capture, and with no noticeable lag on the game! FRAPS is ok, but gives a performance hit. I get none with the XBOX recording app :) :) :)

Anyone see this yet? SO AWESOME! When playing a fullscreen game, hit the Windows Key+G to bring up a popup menu in-game. There's options here for stuff, but the big one is game recording! Saves as MP4 and you can trim it beforehand right within the XBOX app. Just click on the "Game DVR" tab, edit and upload to YouTube!

Finally a good free way to screen capture, and with no noticeable lag on the game! FRAPS is ok, but gives a performance hit. I get none with the XBOX recording app :) :) :)

MP4
MP4
MP4

So, you don't want good quality videos? Fine by me, to each their own. I don't make videos but I'd rather have lag and uncompressed, crisp, and smooth HD than have no lag and something you'd expect from a VHS tape that's sat on top of a magnet for 10 years and with a tape that's been taken out and put back in the cassette a few times.

So, you don't want good quality videos? Fine by me, to each their own. I don't make videos but I'd rather have lag and uncompressed, crisp, and smooth HD than have no lag and something you'd expect from a VHS tape that's sat on top of a magnet for 10 years and with a tape that's been taken out and put back in the cassette a few times.

Eh, ok, because KSP runs in 4k? LOL

Looks the same on playback as it does ingame at 1600 widescreen, no lag, crisp etc... Not making professional IMAX movies here dude, it's KSP, and going up on YouTube... And by the way, what format do you think YouTube suggests you upload? lol https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

P.S. If you don't make videos, why bother making comments?

Edited by xtoro

MP4

What’s wrong with mp4 container?

If Windows forces some low quality video codecs, it's quite another matter. Mp4 container format has nothing to do with that.

I'd rather have lag and uncompressed, crisp, and smooth HD than have no lag and something you'd expect from a VHS tape that's sat on top of a magnet for 10 years and with a tape that's been taken out and put back in the cassette a few times.

If you’re going to upload the video to Youtube, it will be recoded with a lossy codec with chroma subsampling and low bitrate anyway. Or do you know a way to preserve a video crisp even on Youtube?

Edited by Teilnehmer

Eh, ok, because KSP runs in 4k? LOL

Looks the same on playback as it does ingame at 1600 widescreen, no lag, crisp etc... Not making professional IMAX movies here dude, it's KSP, and going up on YouTube... And by the way, what format do you think YouTube suggests you upload? lol https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

P.S. If you don't make videos, why bother making comments?

What’s wrong with mp4 container?

If Windows forces some low quality video codecs, it's quite another matter. Mp4 container format has nothing to do with that.

In the past every piece of .mp4 I've seen has been very compressed and I assumed that was part and parcel with the .MP4 format. I didn't know that .mp4 could be good quality. Sorry, and thanks.

My video card isn't powerful enough apparently. I have a 560Ti, I know it's not new, but it isn't that weak ROFL.

Did it just tell you that? It doesn't give you the option to record anyways? That's too bad. I didn't think it would be so hardware dependant...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but it doesn't work for me when I'm in force-opengl mode. Doesn't detect that as a game. Otherwise it's great. I'm not sure it buys me anything more than OBS, but I'll try it here and there in the future.

Good to know. Maybe it only works with DirectX games since DX is also Microsoft? I hit the Win+G keys last night while just browsing the net and a window popped up wanting me to confirm that I was playing a game, but I cancelled it. Wonder what would have happened...

Yeah i noticed this. I haven't tested it out as i don't record usually and the AMD raptr app works decently.

I felt the Raptr app is a terrible disappointed. Yes, it works, but all the rubbish surrounding the recording with online accounts and points make it a rather terrible proposition.

Wait a sec. So they have a built in program that is capable of recording your screen? This is bundled in all window 10 install without any say from users? Why does that seems like a security risk...
Because it is.

I'd rather have lag and uncompressed, crisp, and smooth HD

A: You should try the x264 codec. High quality and tiny file size.

B: Do you hate hard drives?!? Last time I had an uncompressed video more than a minute long it took up close to a gigabyte. I dread the thought of filling my computer with uncompressed KSP footage!

Wait a sec. So they have a built in program that is capable of recording your screen? This is bundled in all window 10 install without any say from users? Why does that seems like a security risk...

It is the Xbox app which is installed by default, but you can remove it if you want I guess. I don't see how it's any more of a risk than any other screen recording software...

A: You should try the x264 codec. High quality and tiny file size.

B: Do you hate hard drives?!? Last time I had an uncompressed video more than a minute long it took up close to a gigabyte. I dread the thought of filling my computer with uncompressed KSP footage!

A: Good to know!

B: Nope, unless you consider filling a 256 GB SSD to the point where it only has 8 GB available hate. Although I keep all my writing (hobby of mine) on a flash drive, I've had no less than 3 hard drive failures in my lifetime.

B: Nope, unless you consider filling a 256 GB SSD to the point where it only has 8 GB available hate. Although I keep all my writing (hobby of mine) on a flash drive, I've had no less than 3 hard drive failures in my lifetime.

Do not use flash drives as a backup. They are notoriously fragile and prone to failure. Please consider backup your important files up to a real hard drive, whether that is a SDD or HDD.

Do not use flash drives as a backup. They are notoriously fragile and prone to failure. Please consider backup your important files up to a real hard drive, whether that is a SDD or HDD.

Don't worry about it. I have them backed up on multiple FD's with high-importance ones backed up online and I'm in the process of typing them out on paper with a typewriter. I also have a stack of CD-R's that I'll use once I have 700 MB's worth of writing.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Don't worry about it. I have them backed up on multiple FD's with high-importance ones backed up online and I'm in the process of typing them out on paper with a typewriter. I also have a stack of CD-R's that I'll use once I have 700 MB's worth of writing.

Floppy disks? Online? Those are not very reliable storage methods.

I know very well the risks of each storage method, but I am willing to accept those risks and have planned accordingly. I also don't have a lot of money to throw towards a new hard drive or external hard drive, even a 50-100 GB one, let alone a bulletproof backup system. All I have in the means of external storage are a stack of CD-R's and a few old flash drives that I've had for well over 5 years that were bought for very little and that have served me very much. I am a man of small and limited means and I use whatever will work, two examples being using epoxy, superglue, and electric tape to repair my headphones which had broke in half and the wire of my headphones being held in a specific position with superglue because the wire broke internally and would only sound when bent in a certain position. If there are risks, I plan for them, and so far my planning has worked very well for me. Ultimately, all I have to say is this: mind your own business.

Edited by Flymetothemun

;.; Windows always gets the games, extras, and everything.

There's no such thing as a reliable storage method. That's why one should make backups, because the chance of two or more storage methods failing within a short period of time is much much less than the chance of a single method failing at any point in a several year period.

There's no such thing as a reliable storage method. That's why one should make backups, because the chance of two or more storage methods failing within a short period of time is much much less than the chance of a single method failing at any point in a several year period.

There is no such thing as a reliable storage method, but there certainly are unreliable storage methods - rather a lot more unreliable than other storage methods. Thumb drives, free online services and floppy disks are all solutions that bring convenience to certain circumstances, but should not be relied on for any form of data storage.

mind your own business.

Wow, that must have been the most ungrateful, impolite and bad-mannered response to helpful advice I have seen in years. Having limited means is nothing to be irked or ashamed about, but spitting in the face of those that try to help you is. Being graceful is free, you know.

Besides, you can store things sensibly without pockets full of cash. It just takes a little more planning and the employment of some tricks to make rickety storage containers a little more reliable. What counts, in the end, is statistics, and you have to turn those in your favour.

Edited by Camacha

Nice. I use GNOME 3, which has screen recording too, but I don't think it's video card assisted, which this appears to be if the minimum video card spec required is anything to go by. As it's KSP, a decent card won't be doing much anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.