What's so bad about Dres?

More Boosters

Yeah okay I can see why Ike and Mun are boring but from what I hear Dres has canyons, rifts and it has an asteroid belt. My first and only ship to go to Dres only managed to fly by with not enough dV to slow down, and it was night time at Dres so I couldn't make anything out, but it still sounds like an interesting spot.

Once I have the technology I believe I will build a Dres colony that can produce rockets with the USI Kolonization mod as it would be a great staging area for missions to outer planets (quite a few mods add planets that are quite far away) and I could access asteroids that are at orbital speed whenever I wanted so I really don't get what's so bad about Dres.

Or is it that Dres is gray? You've got a problem with gray celestial bodies? Is that it? Shame on you.

The problem with Dres is that there's no compelling reason to go there. By the time you're ready to go that far from home, getting there is less of a challenge than your other options. Besides, Dres has no pretty scenery, no interesting moons, and diddly squat for Ore. And even if it had Ore, it's no use as a pitstop en route to Jool or Eeloo because of the decades between transfer windows from one to the other. I've never even seen a contract mentioning the place. As a result, most folks only go to Dres because they either wat to complete their full set of signature ribbons, or they feel sorry for the place and guilty for ignoriing it.

Dres is boring. Like really. Nothing to do, nothing special about it. No moons. No atmosphere. No deadly gravity well. Just a boring rock past Duna. Just forget about it and go to Jool. It is a thousand times more interesting.

Or is it that Dres is gray? You've got a problem with gray celestial bodies? Is that it? Shame on you.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyways, i like dres, its the only spot to easily and reliably farm asteroids (although i lost the save, used to have a base that was actually made of 2 asteroids linked between a massive station like thing (although it looked more like some sci-fi station more then anything realistic). Was cool but ive ever since dumped that save as it got corrupted a few weeks back.

That and its got lowish gravity so easy to land and bring up fuel systems, seems to almost always have incedible amounts of resources everywhere (might be luck, but every save ive actually scanned dres it seemed to be 90% filled with resources everywhere), and well, its a great spot to refuel when going to the outer rim (err jool+eeloo :) ) with ships that lack the ability to aerobrake at jool (its less dV to aerobrake in jool system then get around dres, but not everything can actually aerobrake at all).

The problem with Dres is that there's no compelling reason to go there. By the time you're ready to go that far from home, getting there is less of a challenge than your other options. Besides, Dres has no pretty scenery, no interesting moons, and diddly squat for Ore. And even if it had Ore, it's no use as a pitstop en route to Jool or Eeloo because of the decades between transfer windows from one to the other. I've never even seen a contract mentioning the place. As a result, most folks only go to Dres because they either wat to complete their full set of signature ribbons, or they feel sorry for the place and guilty for ignoriing it.

You don't get contracts for Dres unles you go there. If you do go there, you will get contracts for it.

It's not got a lot of gravity so it's useless as a slingshot and you have to do all the work to get captured into its orbit. However, it has a big SoI for its mass, because it's so far from anything else.

I just landed on it and randomly picked a spot that had 7% ore. So I wouldn't say there is no ore on it.

One thing about it is the new asteroid belt. They are a lot farther out from the sun than the ones near Kerbin, so it takes less dV to drive one out of the solar system.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyways, i like dres, its the only spot to easily and reliably farm asteroids (although i lost the save, used to have a base that was actually made of 2 asteroids linked between a massive station like thing (although it looked more like some sci-fi station more then anything realistic). Was cool but ive ever since dumped that save as it got corrupted a few weeks back.

Man, I've got to build a station using asteroids now - with towers coming out of it and stuff, just like this:

https://evepics.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/epasteroidminingstation.png

Damn straight I have a problem with those darn grey celestial bodies! Dres and the Mun should just get a room and leave us all alone, rather than flaunting their greyness to those who don't want to see it.

I'm going to be completely honest here, because it looks like I'm the only one that enjoys visiting Dres early in a career.

I enjoy heading to Dres early on because there isn't anything there; it's a planetoid orbiting a little further out. To me it's an easy Moho or just another Mun, something to send the first Apollo style mission to, since it isn't worth it for the local moons of Kerbin. Visiting Eve, Duna, or the Joolian system feels like visiting a city, Eeloo is Antartica, and Dres is that back woods cabin that you hear banjo music coming from (except Dres feels strangely clean).

Not that I'm saying it's my favorite place by far, it's just that I enjoy visiting it a bit more than the Mun when it comes to getting to and from a grey rock (and getting that science).

i find it a fantastic place! sure its boring, but man is that little ball of rock packed with, and i mean PACKED, with science. i did a full exploration mission to it, which was easier than i thought it would have been, taking me a few hours at most. i landed in every biome, running every science experiment possible. science in space high, low, everywhere, everything!!! and i got a lot of science. i dont even remember how much exactly, but it was somewhere over 6000. im sure someone could calculate it.

What's so bad about Dres? One word: Jool. Dres is one planet, there's nothing particularly wrong with it except maybe being too similar to Ike, but with Jool being a whole mini solar system to explore and no longer or harder to reach it's easy to see why Dres gets passed by. It's still the only stock body I've never touched the surface of.

Edited by cantab

Yup, Dres needs either an atmosphere, or a colour, or some moons, or something to make it not just a Ceres analogue and worthy of interest. It doesn't even have any shiny patches...

Personally I'd like to see more atmosphere/liquid oceans around the place.

Yeah okay I can see why Ike and Mun are boring but from what I hear Dres has canyons, rifts and it has an asteroid belt. My first and only ship to go to Dres only managed to fly by with not enough dV to slow down, and it was night time at Dres so I couldn't make anything out, but it still sounds like an interesting spot.

Dres itself is quite boring. It have a nice canyon but it is not so interesting that you want to see it again. But Dres's orbit is interesting thing for me. As you have noticed it may give nasty surprises. You must use a real porkchop plotter to calculate orbits and needed dv. Simple dv charts assuming circular orbits on a plane underestimate needed dv. You must also make precise burns and correction maneuvers. Otherwise you notice at Dres that you need 500 m/s more than you calculated. It is fun to do more complicated maneuvers on inclined orbits.

Once I have the technology I believe I will build a Dres colony that can produce rockets with the USI Kolonization mod as it would be a great staging area for missions to outer planets (quite a few mods add planets that are quite far away) and I could access asteroids that are at orbital speed whenever I wanted so I really don't get what's so bad about Dres.

You will find that it is very unpractical place of the cosmic gas station. You do not save much dv (if any because inclination) but times between launch windows and travel times are large. Gas station around Minmus is much more economical.

Yup, Dres needs either an atmosphere, or a colour, or some moons, or something to make it not just a Ceres analogue and worthy of interest. It doesn't even have any shiny patches...

Personally I'd like to see more atmosphere/liquid oceans around the place.

I think an art pass to make Dres something more inspired by Ceres and Vesta would help a lot, now we have good images of both. Vesta's pretty neat with its big crater and its cracks, Ceres maybe a bit boring by comparison except for the shiny patches, and a sort of combination of the two could make a nice world. And maybe if and when it's possible give it some cometary jets, since we now know the division between asteroids and comets is rather blurred.

Uhh.... I find Dres to be quite interesting! Plenty of Ore, even at lowlands! Most bodies have higher concentration of Ore in the slopes, but I get 7, 8% at Dres flat lowlands!

Plus the asteroid belt is unique. Much easier to play with asteroids in there than in Kerbin..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.