Windows users rejoice.

regex

https://twitter.com/Maxmaps/status/634101441054003201

Welcome to the club (soon).

E: This was literally posted an hour and a half ago. You'd think someone could come by and use that Announcements forum we have here, maybe make it useful? Took me ten seconds to make this thread. Way to drop the ball, Squad. Not like you guys haven't been doing that since like ... forever, but still.

I don't have twitter, facebook or any of that crap. Don't need it or want it and don't like having to dig through them for info that should be kept together in one place, on the official forums.

I don't have twitter, facebook or any of that crap. Don't need it or want it and don't like having to dig through them for info that should be kept together in one place, on the official forums.

The only one(s) who care about the forums are the users :)

Sad but true...

I'm with Vorg. They should put vital info like that twitter chirp or what ever you kids call it in the forum too. But for real, why must we on the forum be the last to know? Reddit, fb, twitt all hear first not forums

I'm with Vorg. They should put vital info like that twitter chirp or what ever you kids call it in the forum too. But for real, why must we on the forum be the last to know? Reddit, fb, twitt all hear first not forums

They should just put a little box similar to the Featured Streamers on the forum's homepage with a twitter feed. It'd be easy and would solve a lot of these issues!

They should just put a little box similar to the Featured Streamers on the forum's homepage with a twitter feed. It'd be easy and would solve a lot of these issues!
Eh, not really, because then you'd see all of Max's opinions on crap that isn't KSP and what he's watching on TV. Sorry, Max isn't interesting except when it comes to what is going to be in the next KSP version.

I swear he's just trolling for followers...

Eh, not really, because then you'd see all of Max's opinions on crap that isn't KSP and what he's watching on TV. Sorry, Max isn't interesting except when it comes to what is going to be in the next KSP version.

I swear he's just trolling for followers...

I see what you mean...

IyiSjXV.png

How about the official KSP twitter? That's got some more relevant content.

So what does this mean in practical terms, only more mods or also less lag?
64-bit will do nothing for lag. Unity 5 probably will, but optimizing and bug-fixing will do the same. (Seriously, something needs to be done about the PQS system and water rendering. Oceans are terrible and normal planetary surfaces are pretty bad by themselves.)

Both, but depending on your setup the FPS increase may be minor.

Of course since this is 1.1 we're talking about, 64-bit is the least of the potential upgrades, so there's liable to be a big performance increase after all, but I can't say how much of it will be due to the address size until it comes out and one of us can run some side-by-side tests.

._. I've been ninja'd.

Crossing my fingers that this will be stable!

I don't think they would make that mistake twice. If they are confident enough to bring it back, it's gotta be pretty good. It's very exciting news.

Generalization for those who don't know the tech:

Unity 5 = Multiple Core support = less lag if you have multi core CPU (theoretically, probably)

64-bit = Ability for a single app to use more than 4GB of RAM = More mods if you have a 64 bit Windows (or Linux) and more than ~5GB of RAM (note the OS needs some too)*

*All new computers since around the turn of the century have 64-bit CPUs, regardless of Windows edition (or Linux or Mac).

Edited by Alshain

I seriously cannot wait. It's like waiting for Christmas.

I love KSP so much. But launching large rockets and having the huge frame drops associated with it SUCKS. Unity 5 performance increase will be as much a psychological benefit as an immediate practical one.

Secondly, 64 bit on WINDOWS???? You mean I don't have to boot into my Linux partition anymore just so I can have 64bit? You mean I don't have to use OpenGL and sacrifice the graphical quality of my game? It's almost too good to be true. The game seems to finally be getting out of beta!

You. You know what you are talking about.

Won't make any difference to fps but they will look prettier

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they would make that mistake twice. If they are confident enough to bring it back, it's gotta be pretty good. It's very exciting news.

Generalization for those who don't know the tech:

Unity 5 = Multiple Core support = less lag (if you have multi core CPU)

64-bit = Ability for a single app to use more than 4GB of RAM = More mods (if you have a 64 bit Windows*)

*All new computers since around the turn of the century have 64-bit CPUs, regardless of Windows edition.

Unity 5 = less lag for multiple large craft, single craft will still be single threadeed only minor improvements to single craft

Unity 5 = less lag for multiple large craft, single craft will still be single threadeed only minor improvements to single craft

I said this in another thread today. Programming does not work that way. A single craft can have 1 thread or hundreds of threads depending on how the programmer did it. There is no way to equate an in game item/vessel/etc. to a thread. Conversely, 1 thread can be 100 vessels, or 1 thread can do calculations for 1 part each on 100 vessels.

Quoted for truth...this statement has been made time and time again by users...NO reason Regex (or any other user for that matter...) should have to post this on SQUAD's "official" (or should it be semi-official) forums, it should be done by SQUAD (read Maxmaps here if he was the one w/permission to "spill the beans") themselves!

I'm hoping that they don't release 32-bit versions. Let's just dive all-in and get everything working on 64-bit.

Otherwise I fear that it will be a repeat of last time:

"Yay 64 bit"

"Oh poop, 32-bit works better"

"We'll just use 32-bit until they get that fixed"

Edited by JedTech

NO reason Regex (or any other user for that matter...) should have to post this on SQUAD's "official" (or should it be semi-official) forums, it should be done by SQUAD

Yes. We've told them repeatedly, and at one point they even agreed and said they'd be more proactive in using the forum to release information.

Apparently, they still think it's a fun thing to hide information wherever the hell they feel like. I wonder if they set up a pool and place bets on how long it will take their little tidbits of information to make it back to the forum. Frankly, I think it's pretty damn silly. As a user, I would expect that information about a program would be readily available on the website of the company that produces the program.

Yeah, kind of annoying. Reminds me of Silent Hunter. Ubisoft has an official forum, but if you want to talk with a dev---hang at Subsim forums. Bizarre.

It's worse than that here. We have the forums, facebook, twitter, reddit, the Orbiter forums (that's right, they announce things on forums for a game that isn't even theirs) and another forum you can only access if you pay for it (can't remember the name).

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing new, this was public knowledge since they started working on the U5 upgrade.

It was suspected, but it wasn't confirmed for 1.1. Now it pretty much is.

Yeah, kind of annoying. Reminds me of Silent Hunter. Ubisoft has an official forum, but if you want to talk with a dev---hang at Subsim forums. Bizarre.

I think Maxmaps just enjoys a fan following on his personal twitter account.