ksp for xbox and ps4 hate

carneyvich

They have said the Flying Tigers guys have helped speed up their U5 port, which should bring some great advantages for all clients, so I m all for it. As it has resulted in a net gain for PC, rather than made the update lag longer. I personally don't think it's gonna be a big seller on console, but I don't have any figures or data to back that up.

We all know there are bugs in the current game, and they should spend at least one release bug smashing, but I also know that many games have a shelf life. How long can Kerbal still be relevant? getting new content out is one way of keeping interest alive and I am personally looking forward to the new parts, especially the antennae.

You'll find the community on this forum much friendlier and more forgiving of minor issues with the game whereas the X-box and PS4 gamers will not be so nice. If the 1.1 release is another repeat of 1.0 (which was predominantly to capture the Steam market), things will not be good for the future of this game. The good news is that Squad is making the right moves from what I have heard, in getting help porting to Unity 5/PS4, and taking their time and not rushing this update out the door before it's ready.

JR

You'll find the community on this forum much friendlier and more forgiving of minor issues with the game whereas the X-box and PS4 gamers will not be so nice.

I dunno. KSP doesn't exactly appeal to the COD n00b-pwning stereotypical console gamer. I like to think that the nature of KSP's gameplay will attract the cream of the console crowd.

Well personally, I do not get it anyway, why people develop such strong feelings over a computer game. Granted, it is a great game, no, that's not true, it is one of the best computer games to me*, to which I have donated far to many hours of my life. But it is still a game.

Now, SQUAD decided to broaden their sources of income by increasing their target clientele. What can possibly be wrong with that? It'll generate more money to put into the overal development of KSP, from which anyone will benefit. It wouldn't be good, if in a years time, the market for KSP is saturated and SQUAD would move on to greener pastures. Then it would be up to modders to keep the thing alive on a probably still incomplete and potentially still bugridden basis (seeing that some still treat it as a beta software and the software still has some issues...).

Anyways, let them port the software to as many platforms as they like. If it takes them a few weeks more to roll out version 1.x, 2.x or whatever... well, be happy with what we have and enjoy the suspense of things to come! :)

* Note of the author: Others might have different opinions... ;)

I dunno. KSP doesn't exactly appeal to the COD n00b-pwning stereotypical console gamer. I like to think that the nature of KSP's gameplay will attract the cream of the console crowd.

I agree, and I would hope that they would join this community as well, but what I've found is that many other game forums a LOT less friendly - and that includes YouTube comments, as you can see from the posted link. I'm all for expanding the platforms for this game, and it will bring in a new audience of fans, but there will be the haters who are ready to jump all over any flaw in the game. I'm sure Squad is doing everything in their power to mitigate this though. :)

JR

I hate console because companies do such things as releasing specific games exclusively for a specific console. I wish to such companies the worst.

If developing/porting games to other systems were free, I'd agree with you (I'd love to have Bayonetta on anything else than Wii U). It isn't though.

I'm happy it's coming to console so it'll be a bit easier to force my console-playing friends to play it. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the control schemes, and also how the red-bull fuelled ten year old "omg u hax n00b I'll get my dad to sue" crowd are going to react to the Kraken. I envisage some entertaining forum explosions.

I'm happy it's coming to console so it'll be a bit easier to force my console-playing friends to play it. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the control schemes, and also how the red-bull fuelled ten year old "omg u hax n00b I'll get my dad to sue" crowd are going to react to the Kraken. I envisage some entertaining forum explosions.

Will console players use this forum and just have a separate troubleshooting section?

How the hell are they going to build stuff with a hand controller though? It would be so fiddly..

I used to dislike the idea of KSP going to PS4, until I heard it was being handled by an entirely different team. I can only assume that the same is true for the Xbox One, so I don't dislike that either.

Only thing I can find to dislike is the fact that it will require a much larger forum moderation team, and they will have to be on the absolute top of their game (exactly what I've seen so far from the current moderation team).

Plus, I'm sure that if a player new to KSP buys it on a console, they'll very likely eventually buy it on PC.

Why? In a word, MODS.

If you need a second reason, how about control schemes? Sure, piloting something can be easier with a controller than with keyboard and mouse, but trying to fit 10 action groups and a bunch of other stuff on a controller with a limited number of buttons and control axes is going to be at the least, challenging. And don't even get me started about the problems with using a controller in the SPH/VAB. On the other hand, the hardware and drivers are in place on both consoles to support USB keyboards and mice. I suspect no console game has ever used them for game-control input due to lack of perceived need or just laziness, not because it's impossible.

As someone who has never owned a console and probably never will, I have nothing against console versions coming out, as long as it doesn't negatively affect the PC version. Since another company will do the porting, that shouldn't be the case, and the only effect should be more money to squad to make the game better.

I am a bit worried about how they will adapt the controls to hand controller though, since over half of the keyboard is mapped.

I have a PS4 and I could not care one whit that ksp is coming to it. But, I will say this much, for those that didn't know you can actually use a mouse and keyboard to play some games on it at least with PS4. How do I know? I play FFXIV on PS4 with mouse and keyboard. I would suspect that as far PS4 goes the same will hold true. No clue about the xshackone, and I don't care if I ever know.

I gave up consoles to play KSP. Really. I was a big Xbox 360 fan and loved it but KSP got me back into PC's. I've been able to skip this generation of consoles with no regrets. But if KSP on consoles gets younger people into science maybe it would be worth it. I'll be waiting for KSP 2 or whatever is coming..

The only "problem" I can see is that the consoles CPUs are quite underpowered. I'm not sure if it will ever be a limiting factor but if Squad ever decide to do a major graphics or physics overhaul it might be.

not sure where ur infos from but if my ps4 can keep pace with PC players on FFXIV and if THEY cant tell im on console id wager its not underpowered in the slightest.

not sure where ur infos from but if my ps4 can keep pace with PC players on FFXIV and if THEY cant tell im on console id wager its not underpowered in the slightest.

It's from the specs, console CPUs are demonstrably less powerful than mainstream PC processors.

That doesn't always equal less performance though. Consoles have less OS overhead, and their games can be much better optimized since the hardware platform is known and fixed. For a game like KSP that needs raw floating point power these advantages are smaller. We'll have to wait and see how KSP performs on consoles, I guess.

It's from the specs, console CPUs are demonstrably less powerful than mainstream PC processors.

That doesn't always equal less performance though. Consoles have less OS overhead, and their games can be much better optimized since the hardware platform is known and fixed. For a game like KSP that needs raw floating point power these advantages are smaller. We'll have to wait and see how KSP performs on consoles, I guess.

Exactly. KSP requries much much more CPU power than most games. Maybe because of the single thread problem but it depends on how the people doing the port do things. Also I'm going to assume the game will run at 30 FPS like most console games? (not bashing consoles here FYI)

It's just a cashgrab from Squad because they know they won't be making much more money off KSP anytime soon, and will be damned if they can think of something original.

Why would it be bad to have more sources of revenue?

Why would it be bad to have more sources of revenue?

It's not. Everything about this port will be good for the existing game and PC gamers. It's just fun to bash on console players. Personally I'm really looking forward to this update for one main reason - performance gains.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Everything about this port will be good for the existing game and PC gamers.

Even though I think it's a good thing KSP is coming to consoles, this statement is false. If nothing else, the forum will drop in quality just like it did when KSP was released on Steam (Or maybe it was a bit before that but I definitely remember the forum community being slightly better before. Maybe it's just nostalgia that some awesome modders and users are no longer active though.).

The thing that changed my mind about the news was when I heard that Flying Tiger is helping Squad with the U5 transition. That's undeniably great news.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.