Post something new you learn today!

RainDreamer

That Sheldon Cooper's (Big Bang Theory, duh!) "Physics!" introduction when he tries to teach Penny some physics is mimicking the introduction of The Doctor (Doctor Who, duh!) to a school class from (second season, episode two/three?).

That Sheldon Cooper's (Big Bang Theory, duh!) "Physics!" introduction when he tries to teach Penny some physics is mimicking the introduction of The Doctor (Doctor Who, duh!) to a school class from (second season, episode two/three?).

Wow.... I did not know that. But can you be more specific? Which Dr??? Old season 2 or new series, season 2?

Today I learn the names of the orbits related to other planets in our solar system and several others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_orbits

Cronocentric orbit, cytheriocentric orbit, hermocentric orbit....all these fancy names of deities....

What about orbits on exo planets? what do we call them?

Well, this isn't really something I learned, but I finished reading Das Boot today. The ending was... Unexpected... Very anticlimactic, probably gave me PTSD.

I... I just don't know what to think about it. They went through so much... and then... The ending... *sobs*

[quote name='justidutch']I don't find it too surprising, since the X is the chromosome that both sexes share. (I think? It's been a long long time since high school biology)[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, but still, since Y is exclusively on males, you would "logically" think it has most male development genes, and the X would have female genes only, inactivated if Y was present.

But that's not how it works :)

Today i learned how Insulin is industrially made for treating diabetes, and it's pretty amazing. Cute lil' prokaryotes.

Today I learned that there is such thing as a Moho boundary!

is the boundarybetween the Earth's crust and the mantle. Named after the pioneering Croatian seismologist Andrija Mohorovičić, the Moho separates both the oceanic crust and continental crust from underlying mantle. The Moho lies almost entirely within the lithosphere; only beneath mid-ocean ridges does it define the lithosphere–asthenosphere boundary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohorovičić_discontinuity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.