KSP is coming to the Wii U

mythbusters844

Can't be a joke, that is the official YouTube channel. Good to hear, about the only console it would be worthy of. Building ships with a touch screen. Not sure it will be better than PC, but better than XBox or PS4.

Yes the touchscreen will help, the PowerPC cpu is decent enough.

However Wii U only have 2 GB ram and 1 is reserved for OS, however this part might be negotiable but can not be reduced to 0, grapic memory is part of the system gigabyte.

Christ

How long until I can play KSP on my dog?

This made me laugh so much I choked on air. :P

In all seriousness, ever since the Xbox One announcement, I've been hoping KSP would be ported to Wii U too, imo it'll work best on that console because of the gamepad. This gives me another reason to buy a Wii U, 'cuz I also want Smash Bros and EarthBound from the virtual console.

For the love of Dog, why?

Whatever, so long as it doesn't compromise development on other platforms. But it feels a little like someone is setting things up for an epic fail, no?

The game performs like unmentionable on high-end PCs as it is. And Flying Tiger, of all the outfits to pick, is going to make it work on that anaemic (~1.2Ghz PowerPC-ish) system? Really?

Good luck and all that, FT. I suspect you're going to need it.

I just hope your customers won't want more than ~100 parts in scene.

Beat me to it :) News of KSP coming to Wii U is now also on IGN, Eurogamer and Destructoid... Wow, just a week after the XBox 1 news, it's the end of the world Kerbin as we know it :confused:

Edited by Yakuzi

I thought Nintendo got out of the console business years ago, shortly after Sega did. Didn't they?

Nintendo is the biggest console developer out there, since Sega last console it has release the following; Gameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, GameCube, DS, DS lite, Wii, 3DS and Wii-U.

A serious question: How is it possible you missed any of those and think Nintendo doesn't make consoles anymore?

I think this is going to be the only port with good controls, not on the level with the pc version but better than the xbo and 360 versions.

and yes the wiiu can handle it, the unity 5 port will make it easier.

Interesting. I still wonder whether this is a genuine thing or not--all the news articles are just referring to the now-private video, none mention any other official announcement.

I've got no problem with console ports (although I question how well KSP will work on consoles, for various reasons), but I am more than a little worried about this Flying Tiger company. I seriously hope Squad knows something about them we don't. At least with a third-party doing the ports they shouldn't take too much time away from development of the game itself.

I've expressed confidence in the PS4 and Xbox One controls, I'm sure KSP can be made to work very well with a gamepad (though I'm equally sure it can be given totally botched controls). But throwing the Wii U in sets the cat among the pigeons somewhat. With the big touchscreen it offers unique opportunities, but that means it may want rather different controls to PS4 and XBone. Will Flying Tiger play to each console's strengths or will we see a half-baked one-size-fits-all control scheme.

My guess is that the same company is doing the port to all the consoles, and SQUAD got a "bulk discount" on number of consoles the game was ported to. 3 console ports for the price of 1.25. In which case, it does make sense, money wise at least. Still, my laptop can barely run KSP, curious to see how it will work on the Wii U. Maybe if they do some sort of optimization magic on it and do a rewrite of the code in some major bottlenecks a few of the changes can be applied to the PC version, it seems like people who do console ports would have to be good at that sort of thing, and they'd be going through a large chunk of the code anyways..

Then again, Flying Tiger might say "no company optimization secrets for u" and just deny SQUAD of that opportunity. (Flying Tiger isn't exactly the most well-known porting company out there either, have you seen their website? EDIT: Their website got a serious upgrade since last I saw it, and now it actually mentions they do porting, but still..)

Worst case scenario IMO is that the game runs like a dying snail on consoles, and giving KSP a bad name, to casual consumers looking at console reviews and assuming it's similar on PCs, but hopefully it'll all work out in the end. I don't see the console versions becoming superhugely popular though, especially considering there won't be any mods. Mods are ~80% of KSP for me.

Edited by Norpo

Hmmm, I think I've figured out the reason Squad is porting KSP to all these consoles.

With KSP available to everyone, they'll slowly get the entire planet hooked on KSP, offering tutorials for free and gifting free copies to the disadvantaged. Eventually, they will make a shift to an MMO model with the upcoming multiplayer patch, meaning every single person playing KSP does so together, in one massive world, all launching rockets together. (This model assumes Squad has moved to a supercomputer lab in order to power the servers)

All seems idyllic and peaceful as the whole world works together. Then, one day Squad announces they can no longer support the KSP servers and shuts them down for good. Across the world, millions of people suddenly don't know what to do. Without KSP, how will they sate their burning thirst for launching spaceships? So they turn their gaze upwards. Led by the Realism Overhaul crowd, the population of the Earth focuses all their energies onto building and flying rockets. With an intuitive grasp of orbital mechanics brought by the game, we easily establish thousands of Moonbases and colonize Mars, before turning to the rest of the solar system.

Ten years after The Great KSP Shutdown, humanity has colonized the solar system, with starships on their way to nearby solar systems. Sure there were mishaps along the way (particularly the collective disappointment of humanity when they discovered asparagus rockets do not work in real life as well as they do in the game), but we overcame them and spread across the solar system. Squad then makes a system-wide announcement: this was their plan all along, to motivate humanity to pour all its efforts into space travel. Elon Musk can only shake his head in bemusement, quoted as saying "Gee whillikers, I never thought of that!"

Or not. As with the PS4 and Xbox One ports, I remain curious as to the mechanics of playing KSP on low-powered hardware and fail to see how this is a huge disappointment or detrimental to the future of KSP in any way.

Edited by CalculusWarrior
Yasssss, I have ascended to the Light Green Group!

A serious question: How is it possible you missed any of those and think Nintendo doesn't make consoles anymore?

It was wishful retro-thinking. They'd be a lot less embarrassed if they had done what I "remembered", AND there'd be a whole bunch less e-waste and landfill today.

Oh well, the 3 fps videos of 3-part ships will be quite amusing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.