[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

5 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Makes sense. That appears to be what I will do.

What mod are the parts from that little 10 wheeled rover from? It looks neat

The hint is in the title of the picture...

7 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Makes sense. That appears to be what I will do.

What mod are the parts from that little 10 wheeled rover from? It looks neat

As was mentioned, I have a tendency to name my rovers as 'Parts Pack + Purpose'.  :wink:  It helps me find stuff in the saved ships dialogs.  That little guy is mostly based off of RoverDude's new Malmute rover.  (With a few extra parts.  The camera sticking out the top is from USI's exploration pack, there's a Buffalo segment in there, the round thing on top is a MKerb Science Instruments Micro Radiation Experiment, and there's some mini supply packs visible from USI-LS.)  This variant a survey/exploration rover, designed for medium-term trips gathering science and investigating possible build sites.  The Karibou variant in this image is a long-term construction vehicle, for building bases and other vehicles off-planet.  The first thing it finished was the smaller rover, and it's about to finish my MaterialKits production base.

(At which point it runs out of power because I forgot to calculate in the EC spent doing construction into my budget.  Thankfully, both the malmute and the new base have RTG power, and I can run some extension cords using KIS.)

4 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

The hint is in the title of the picture...

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

As was mentioned, I have a tendency to name my rovers as 'Parts Pack + Purpose'.  :wink:  It helps me find stuff in the saved ships dialogs.  That little guy is mostly based off of RoverDude's new Malmute rover.  (With a few extra parts.  The camera sticking out the top is from USI's exploration pack, there's a Buffalo segment in there, the round thing on top is a MKerb Science Instruments Micro Radiation Experiment, and there's some mini supply packs visible from USI-LS.)  This variant a survey/exploration rover, designed for medium-term trips gathering science and investigating possible build sites.  The Karibou variant in this image is a long-term construction vehicle, for building bases and other vehicles off-planet.  The first thing it finished was the smaller rover, and it's about to finish my MaterialKits production base.

(At which point it runs out of power because I forgot to calculate in the EC spent doing construction into my budget.  Thankfully, both the malmute and the new base have RTG power, and I can run some extension cords using KIS.)

Derp. That was right under my nose. I saw the name but I was assuming it was just the individual craft name, not the name of the parts mod. I will go look for that and download it :)

2 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Derp. That was right under my nose. I saw the name but I was assuming it was just the individual craft name, not the name of the parts mod. I will go look for that and download it :)

No problem - that is the craft name after all. It just happens to be named after it's parts pack.

20 minutes ago, WithheldInfo said:

Kerbalstuff isn't loading for me, is there any other way for me to get this?

Kerbalstuff has been abandoned, you can get it through Roverdude's sig.

Hi RD, not sure if this is a bug or not:

KSP 1.1.2 with only Karibou 0.2.3.0 and MM 2.6.25 installed. When you cycle the "texture" on the rover parts, such as the Wheeled Bays, the part cost changes a lot even though the tanks are empty. For instance, the Wheeled Storage Bay when empty costs 2,500 when configured for Dirt, Gypsum, or Hydrates, but costs 35,500 empty for fertilizer. It is even more extreme for an empty Supplies tank - 131,000! I could understand slight variations with tank types as some storage is more complex than others, but two orders of magnitude seems extreme.

Looking at the MM config statements I don't understand where this inconsistency between some resources is coming from. I can't seem to account for it with some combination of  "tankCost" and "resourceAmounts". 

Edited by ZeroReactivity

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Bug - would love to get a PR for this :)

Ok there seems to be a few problems in the part .cfg I can try to fix. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but in FSfuelSwitch, you specify tankCost. Why do you have to specify it, is it not calculated automatically? Part of the issue is the net cost of the part seems to be calculated as:
base cost + (unitCostresourceAmounts * %full) - (unitCostresourceAmounts) + tankCost.
So KER_WheelBay base cost is 2500. Hydrate unitCost is 0.5 (per CommonResources.cfg) and it holds 10000 hydrates, and you have tankCost = 5000. If you have tank cost set differently, as seems to be in some of your configs, you get weird things like negative part costs or extremely high part costs.

It seems it would be simpler to have the part net cost calculated as: base cost + (unitCostresourceAmounts * %full) + tankCost
where tankCost is then just a small modifier depending on the expense of retrofitting the particular tank type (e.g. pressurized cylinder more expensive than a box).

I will try to look at the FSfuelSwitch code but I don't even know how to use GitHub much less compile anything.

On 5/24/2016 at 2:22 AM, RoverDude said:

Here's the full version:  Although my thoughts at this point are to bundle the Akita with my construction pack because those bits make use of that nifty cab

Will the Akita rover bits fit with the squarish AES pod? It would make a nice alternate cab.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Haven't checked that yet tbh

It would be wonderful it they lined up. It is a great little part--with some hacking of 'up,' I made a ridiculously-tiny Minmus lander with it, and look forward to more tiny parts that will fit on missions, especially if I can use them with other parts.

JeiIyl8.png

Hey @RoverDude can you make the engines on all of your inline models have independent throttle controls? The wonderful add on throttle controlled avionics cannot properly control these engines because it can't torque all of the rotation axes due to the throttles being locked together. 

13 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Sorry, they are still just one part.  See all of the discussions above RE TCA.

I searched the thread for both "throttle" and "tca" before posting and got zero hits, is this discussion in a different place? 

Im not that concerned as I just supplement with sabre engines and tca works fine but someone is complaining about tca not working with the inline engines and I'm trying to explain to them that it's because the engines are tied together and can't torque the craft. 

Edit Ok sorry @RoverDude I see it on page 21. Not sure why my search came up empty... I'm on mobile and when I search this topic for tca or TCA I only get these last two posts

Edited by drhay53

I'm guessing there's some technical limitation that allows them to be gimballed separately but not throttled separately? I just assumed that since the gimbals can be toggled individually that the throttles could be too. 

reading over the karibou / TCA discussion here I think there's a bit of misunderstanding about TCA. I posted in the TCA thread a mini-guide to how I overcame my own troubles in using TCA; the short answer for the Karibou is that since the engine throttles on the inline model are tied together, the craft cannot be torqued about it's long, narrow axis by TCA, and you have to add supplementary engines for this task. The inline engines are also low TWR on Kerbin, so they don't fly a Karibou well at all in that environment. I found that supplementing with Karibou SABRE engines makes a craft that flies beautifully with TCA.

To not clutter things too much, I posted some brief advice based on my experience with TCA over the last couple of weeks in the TCA thread. Nowadays I build every craft and especially every lander with TCA in mind; how can I build this craft in a way that maximizes TCA's ability to control it? Once you shift to this train of thought with TCA you'll be on your way. I hope this is helpful for people. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, I just absolutely love where TCA is at and where it is going, and I don't want people to be turned off by the learning curve that's noticeable in this thread.

hi, the karibou rover is awesome, i love it! but it got a problem:

the karibou is compatible with JSI Advanced Transparent Pods

but when i switch the transparency to on... not only the windows but the entire frame are transparent

it will be fixed in your next karibou update release?

i got another problem... with karibou wheels

i can deploy them and retract them... but when i try again they stack in deployed mode or in retracted...

the interface say to me the wheels are "deploying" or "retracting" and i cant do nothing...

42 minutes ago, Odysseus154 said:

https://imgur.com/QBJT16d.jpg

Issue I am having. It stops there and goes no further. 

Standard step one of debugging all USI/MKS mods: install KSP-AVC and check to see if it flags any of your mods as being out if date.  If it does, then it'll provide you with download links - do not assume CKAN has given you the latest version of any mod.

If this doesn't highlight a problem, next most likely problem is improperly installed or corrupted mod, and screen shots of gamedata and UmbraSpaceIndustries folder contents posted online can help.