What is a good amout of RAM to run KSP with so many mods?

Pedro_daher

It's fine for gaming, KSP only runs 32 bit, so only 4GB is used. You can install a few mods with that.

EDIT: I have 8GB too, and I get a good framerate with lots of mods (80+) on Ubuntu (64-bit KSP)

Seems ok for a few mods... I use a lot and I love all of them <3 I usually run it in OpenGL so then it can save some more space for me... I am thinking about buying more RAM to get it going faster without lagging

- - - Updated - - -

Use 16 GB for when 64 bit comes out, and futureproofing.

You have read my thoughts!! 16GB seems pretty good for ksp... :)

since only the 32bit version of KSP exists for windows (they removed the 64 bit version due to Unity stability issues) doesnt matter if you have 4GB or 24GB, the game is limited to about 4GB before it crashes.

Pretty sure it does matter if you have 4GB. The OS and other processes are still running when KSP is running. Maybe KSP can only use 4GB, but if you only have 4GB then it has to share those 4GB. If you have more than 4GB, then I think it doesn't have to share.

I'd say 8 GB is sufficient. For KSP to use more than 4 GB you need to run a 64-bit version and a stable 64-bit KSP is currently available for Linux only. Even then you're rather unlikely to need more than 8 GB.

8 GB is also generally regarded as standard for gaming nowadays, few games want more, in part because of the influence of the consoles.

EDIT: I have 8GB too, and I get a good framerate with lots of mods (80+) on Ubuntu (64-bit KSP)

What kind of system do you have, I have an i7-2600 and a gtx760 with 12GB or RAM and still only get 25-35 FPS on a ship with around 100 parts

I do have 100+ mods, but that shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Edited by peachoftree

What kind of system do you have, I have an i7-2600 and a gtx760 with 12GB or RAM and still only get 25-35 FPS on a ship with around 100 parts

I do have 100+ mods, but that shouldn't be too big of an issue.

I have an i7-4720MQ with 16 gb of ram and a Iris Pro GPU on OSX with 60 fps on 100 part crafts

The problem with both of you isn't the RAM nor the GPU, it's the CPU.

By using a lot of parts or in the atmosphere, KSP will run ok with a Cannonlake i7 CPU, although overclocking it may be necessary for large bases/spacestations.

Cannonlake microarchitecture won't be released until the second half of 2017, though... :sticktongue:

I'm running with 8GB of ram on an AMD 8core that's a couple years old now and an NVidia 960GT. Framerates are always super smooth and I have piles of mods installed, including more than one planet pack using Kopernicus.

I was able to save a significant amount of RAM by using the DX11 flag in my KSP shortcut -

Hit properties on your shortcut and in the Target field at the end paste " -force-d3d11" no quotes. It may save you a small amount, or it may drop your RAM usage by multiple gigabytes, as it did me, and I'm not even using active texture management. You can try the openGL flag as well if you like but that hit my framerates pretty drastically.

Pretty sure it does matter if you have 4GB. The OS and other processes are still running when KSP is running. Maybe KSP can only use 4GB, but if you only have 4GB then it has to share those 4GB. If you have more than 4GB, then I think it doesn't have to share.

Yep, expect Windows to eat up a few GB by itself, plus you want free room for disk caching and background services. KSP uses most of the 4GB limit, particularly when running mods, so 8GB is what you'll need to keep it running smoothly along with everything else that Windows does in the background.

8GB is pretty reasonable for most people, but if you like to leave other apps open while gaming (for instance keeping 20 tabs open in Firefox), you'll find yourself wanting more. 16GB is sort of the "sweet spot" for power-users. Which is why I upgraded to 32 GB. ;)

Yep, expect Windows to eat up a few GB by itself, plus you want free room for disk caching and background services. KSP uses most of the 4GB limit, particularly when running mods, so 8GB is what you'll need to keep it running smoothly along with everything else that Windows does in the background.

8GB is pretty reasonable for most people, but if you like to leave other apps open while gaming (for instance keeping 20 tabs open in Firefox), you'll find yourself wanting more. 16GB is sort of the "sweet spot" for power-users. Which is why I upgraded to 32 GB. ;)

When I bought my computer a few years ago, 16GB was a fairly cheap upgrade. But the guy who was building it for me suggested I didn't need it because hardly any games at that point could make use of it. Having learned over the years that moar memory is almost always eventually a good thing, I got the 16 GB anyway.*

* I did have a problem once with Windows 98 SE when I put too much memory into the machine, and Windows didn't react well because it tried to grab more memory than it was able to address. (It was dual boot with Linux, and Linux was just fine with the extra memory.) A friendly Microsoft Tech support guy from India helped me reconfigure Windows to ignore the extra memory.

Edited by mikegarrison

I upgraded to 32 gig a couple of months ago, because I was always running out of memory.

Yesterday, I got an out of memory message again :-(

Too many open tabs, I guess. 64 gig is a bit out of my reach right now

I upgraded to 32 gig a couple of months ago, because I was always running out of memory.

Maybe you need to look into building yourself a Beowulf cluster.

:0.0:

You are running out of memory with 32 gigs? Does your computer have a virus or something?

20 tabs, edge is using 250mb. I can't see why you'd ever need 32gb for even heavy gaming unless you're photoshopping a 1000000000mp picture...

As I sit here I have two firefox windows open each with around 10 tabs, some of which are videos which are cached. Have a music program open, KSP, a capture program, and Adobe Premiere, and steam. With all that open at once with only 8GB of RAM occasionally I get a page file chug for a few seconds. Next upgrade is 16GB for me at least. I've even been known to run two different games at once, one on one monitor, and the other on the second, sometimes just idling in one talking to friends while I actually play the second. It helps to have the performance overhead in situations like that.

Especially video editing when working with barely compressed H.264 game footage tends to chomp through RAM quite quickly.

Then there are 64bit games like modded Minecraft which will eat literally all of your RAM if you give them a high enough limit, regardless of how much they actually need.

As I sit here I have two firefox windows open each with around 10 tabs, some of which are videos which are cached. Have a music program open, KSP, a capture program, and Adobe Premiere, and steam. With all that open at once with only 8GB of RAM occasionally I get a page file chug for a few seconds. Next upgrade is 16GB for me at least. I've even been known to run two different games at once, one on one monitor, and the other on the second, sometimes just idling in one talking to friends while I actually play the second. It helps to have the performance overhead in situations like that.

Especially video editing when working with barely compressed H.264 game footage tends to chomp through RAM quite quickly.

Then there are 64bit games like modded Minecraft which will eat literally all of your RAM if you give them a high enough limit, regardless of how much they actually need.

Aren't you allways gonna get pagefile chugs, unless you run without it completely?

Personally, I'd get a 2nd computer for the other stuff. :)

I got 64 gigs of ram... Now I only need KSP to handle that.

I can estimate I will use in the neighborhood of 8-16gigs with all the mods and parts (many pieces I will make myself using existing models for my endgame).

No need to run texture manger and will be able to use all the mods I ever wanted as long as they are stable together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.