[Stock Craft] WWII Messerschmitt Me 262 A-1a "Schwalbe"

Columbia

The Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe/ Sturmvogel (English: "Swallow"/ "Storm Bird") of .... Germany was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft. Design work started before World War II began, but engine problems and top-level interference kept the aircraft from operational status with the Luftwaffe until mid-1944. Heavily armed, it was faster than any Allied fighter, including the British jet-powered Gloster Meteor.

The aircraft is 319 parts (too much, I know) and is equipped with four rockets as armament (In stock).

Craft File:

https://kerbalx.com/Columbia/Messerschmitt-Me-262-A-1a

Thanks for viewing!

It's huge! I love it. Is there a little seat under the canopy? Say there is!

Thank you! I wish there was space.. The solar panels use fuselages as parent parts, so.. it's not possible. Sorry. :( That would be awesome, though!

Nice job Columbia! Surely better than my little plane.

Thanks, Alphasus! at least yours has a lower part count :wink:

Wow, this is the first Me-262 I've seen that looks so close to the real one! Those fairings may look ugly as hell, but they sure are useful tools for replicas!

A useful note about the armament: Hitler was still pushing for a renewed Blitz on England even in 1944, so when the idea of the Me-262 was pitched to him, the first thing he asked was "Can it carry bombs?". He ordered the aircraft into production as a fighter bomber until the Arado Ar 234 was also pitched to him. After some persuasion, he allowed one Me-262 to enter service as a fighter for every two Ar-234s to enter service. So I think bombs would be the most realistic armament for this plane.

I think I read this in a book I have at home, I'll check later today if you want a source.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Wow, this is the first Me-262 I've seen that looks so close to the real one! Those fairings may look ugly as hell, but they sure are useful tools for replicas!

A useful note about the armament: Hitler was still pushing for a renewed Blitz on England even in 1944, so when the idea of the Me-262 was pitched to him, the first thing he asked was "Can it carry bombs?". He ordered the aircraft into production as a fighter bomber until the Arado Ar 234 was also pitched to him. After some persuasion, he allowed one Me-262 to enter service as a fighter for every two Ar-234s to enter service. So I think bombs would be the most realistic armament for this plane.

I think I read this in a book I have at home, I'll check later today if you want a source.

Thanks, pTrevtrevs! I read up on it, I was told that the aircraft was also more frequently equipped with rockets than bombs.. Ah well.

Bombs it is!

Thank god I don't have to deal with the complicated rockets.

Thanks, pTrevtrevs! I read up on it, I was told that the aircraft was also more frequently equipped with rockets than bombs.. Ah well.

Bombs it is!

Thank god I don't have to deal with the complicated rockets.

Yeah, I do think rockets were more common than bombs after der Führer was done with his delusions that the 262 could successfully bomb England.

Yeah, I do think rockets were more common than bombs after der Führer was done with his delusions that the 262 could successfully bomb England.

Ah, thanks for the info!

I think I'll make variants of both.. for.. well, accuracy. I knew that Hitler persuaded it be built as a bomber, but it was very late put into production.

Don't know how I'll manage rockets, though..

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's one star now.. I think it means something.

Has anyone tried it, and how did it perform? Or does it look too ugly or something?

I didn't give it a rating but there are some things that could be improved, yes.

First of all, I'd ditch the solar panels and build a real cockpit with a chair like Majorjim suggested. Second, the shape of the fuselage was a soft triangle, not round. Radiator panels are a good solution for this. Third: the engine pods have a significant different shape as well.

Made this for you as an idea. It's very rough and only meant as a basic shape. The result will be stronger and lighter than using tanks & fairings and in the basis is how a real airframe is built.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

For all you ME 262 lovers out there (geezzz, I've flown that bird for months in IL2!)

Edited by Azimech

I didn't give it a rating but there are some things that could be improved, yes.

First of all, I'd ditch the solar panels and build a real cockpit with a chair like Majorjim suggested. Second, the shape of the fuselage was a soft triangle, not round. Radiator panels are a good solution for this. Third: the engine pods have a significant different shape as well.

Made this for you as an idea. It's very rough and only meant as a basic shape. The result will be stronger and lighter than using tanks & fairings and in the basis is how a real airframe is built.

http://imgur.com/a/BG7ZZ

For all you ME 262 lovers out there (geezzz, I've flown that bird for months in IL2!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMG1WCVff0I

Thanks for the suggestions!

The suggestion to use an actual cockpit instead of panels is a good idea, I'll try that.

I knew about the triangle shape, but it seemed too complex to recreate in KSP, and I have little experience with radiator panels (To me, they kinda look ugly.) I'll try!

For the engines, I'll see about structure panel or fairing based structures. Thanks again!

[snip] sometimes I see constructions which are not even remotely a replica besides having two wings, a fuselage and a tail. But ... we try to encourage people who want to learn and have a certain "fire". Columbia is one of them. We do try to hold back from sharing negative energy, if we feel it, we keep it to ourselves ;-)

Except for the people who give a negative rating and being an anonymous hit & run. Wisdom be to ignore them. A great mechanism is built in Katateochi's KerbalX.com: If you want to downvote, it will cost you some of your own points.

Edited by Vanamonde

I understand the feeling, JuanxLink, sometimes I see constructions which are not even remotely a replica besides having two wings, a fuselage and a tail. But ... we try to encourage people who want to learn and have a certain "fire". Columbia is one of them. We do try to hold back from sharing negative energy, if we feel it, we keep it to ourselves ;-)

Except for the people who give a negative rating and being an anonymous hit & run. Wisdom be to ignore them. A great mechanism is built in Katateochi's KerbalX.com: If you want to downvote, it will cost you some of your own points.

The star rating is massively flawed, and open to abuse. It's best to ignore it.

[snip]

sometimes I see constructions which are not even remotely a replica besides having two wings, a fuselage and a tail. But ... we try to encourage people who want to learn and have a certain "fire". Columbia is one of them. We do try to hold back from sharing negative energy, if we feel it, we keep it to ourselves ;-)

Good point.

I'm still not as experienced as some of you (I still can't use radiator panels; I often need a lot of feedback after release to properly build a ship) and as Azimech said, I'm still like an apprentice.

But there's no need to be negative, again and again.

Edited by Vanamonde

About this.. What did you use as the parent part of the radiators?

Thanks! I'm seriously considering using radiators, provided it's success in one of my other ships.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

About this.. What did you use as the parent part of the radiators?

Thanks! I'm seriously considering using radiators, provided it's success in one of my other ships.

I think that it looks better with fairings, even though the fuselage shape may not be exactly right, it looks smoother and matches the side profile better than radiators could.

I think that it looks better with fairings, even though the fuselage shape may not be exactly right, it looks smoother and matches the side profile better than radiators could.

The only thing keeping it look remotely like an Me 262 is the cockpit and engines, which in themselves will be replaced because even they don't look good enough.

Also, if I want this aircraft to perform better and look better, then I have to venture in an area which I have 0.00% knowledge of. This is like building an airplane out of wing parts.

Columbia, just use an I-Beam or something like that as the parent. Then you end up with a hollow shell, that can be strutted from the inside. You can also attach the radiators to eachother. So you can then just strut at the end.

The mod no offset limits lets you offset forever.

Okay, so some posts have been deleted and quotes of them edited. Personal attacks have no place on this forum, and replying to them in-kind just forces everyone else to read through even more unpleasantness. Please, people, just hit the report button on things you believe are problems and let us moderators deal with it. After all, that's what we (do not) get paid for. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.