Microsoft Flight Sim X?

A35K

Ok, question:

Directed at Kerbart up there in Elmwood Park, but ya'll can answer. I used to live in northern NJ, southwest of Teterboro airport, and in-game (in-sim) I used Teterboro as "Home" (it was closer to me than Hanover airport, where I had my first real life ride in a single-engine Cessna mid-1960's), starting and ending my trips there, parking my plane there. These days, I use Miller Air Park in Ocean County.

So, do ya'll do the same?... use a field local to you and call it home?

I did for a while. But FS9/FSX don't offer the most spectacular scenery around NYC... so I ended up using the Seattle area as my "home base," especially with the Orcas Islands add-in. But I would once in a while take a ride around Teterboro... absolutely!

I love that simulator. I often like to practice go-arounds with the CLS A330 and DC-10 (Which the latter is by the way both satisfying and diffficult to land.)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, question:

Directed at Kerbart up there in Elmwood Park, but ya'll can answer. I used to live in northern NJ, southwest of Teterboro airport, and in-game (in-sim) I used Teterboro as "Home" (it was closer to me than Hanover airport, where I had my first real life ride in a single-engine Cessna mid-1960's), starting and ending my trips there, parking my plane there. These days, I use Miller Air Park in Ocean County.

So, do ya'll do the same?... use a field local to you and call it home?

I often use Ninoy Aquino International Airport (RPLL), but sometimes I like to use JFK and KSFO for my other flights.

I played this since release at least once or twice a week, mainly because it is so damn relaxing - during flight, that is.

Regarding AddOns I mostly use free ones, weather stuff etc, and my favourite airplane is a Saab 340 (was mentioned earlier in this thread, I guess it's the same one) - a paid AddOn I really can recommend is FSPassengers which adds a ton of immersion for me to FSX. With FSPassengers I usually fly commuters within Europe with Cologne as my "homebase", to destinations in France, Denmark, Englands, Spain, Poland, Italy, and back. When I haven't that much free time to spare I fly short round trips over my home area (also supported by FSPassengers).

Got FSX, and bought an X-52 Pro + pedals for some heli flying but my favourite is still the Cessna. The crawling speed suits me fine. I prefer home base at Friday Harbor (KFHR) as it offers some terrific flights over a great variety of terrain from sea to the mountains up north in Canada. Started a flight from FH into Canada, planning to do a cross Canada trek to the east coast but real life burst into the room when I got to Moosejaw.

Oh and FH is also an excellent base for heli flying as well with enough airfields/airports close by for short hops. Helis are nowhere near as relaxing as that Cessna :D

Other than that, I have had various flight sims from my C64 days (Solo Flight/Spitfire 40 etc) to current date but not much time now for it.

I guess someone's gotta say it, so here goes... I fly on X-Plane 10. I used to use FSX but once I switched to XP10 I realized there's no going back. It just looks so much better, is more realistic and also runs a lot better.

I've spent the last two or three days learning to fly a new plane I bought (Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 by FlyJSim). Really starting to get the hang of it now but still need to practice my landings as the Q400 (not just the simulation but the real thing as well) requires a completely different technique - Instead of retarding the throttles between 10 and 50 feet and flaring, you actually need to add some power to reduce sink rate, then "fly it to the runway" and only reduce it to idle after touchdown. It's got constant speed props so when you pull the power back, it decreases the pitch angle of the blades to maintain a constant prop RPM, creating a ton of drag in the process which is really bad if you're still in the air because it slows the plane down really quickly and makes it drop like a stone. It's useful for steep descents though.

E: Oh, and my favourite plane on a flight sim is the PMDG Boeing 777 on FSX. They've said it won't be ported over to XP10 but who knows... maybe it'll happen eventually. Or I might get the Ramzzess/FlightFactor 777.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I guess someone's gotta say it, so here goes... I fly on X-Plane 10. I used to use FSX but once I switched to XP10 I realized there's no going back. It just looks so much better, is more realistic and also runs a lot better

The problem is likely that previous versions were so incredibly underwhelming (at least for me), that I never looked back after trying them out. Maybe XP10 is better... but I'm not going through installing x-plane again -- and I'm happy how FSX performs right now.

Been flying Microsoft FSs since version 1.0 ... I think I may still have the floppy (v1.0) tucked away in storage. My favorite bug in that early version was to invert and dive ... you would gain altitude like mad lol. At the time, (we) played it on a mono-screen, and later on an original Compaq portable with a green mono-screen. The last edition I bought was the 2004: Century of Flight. Thought about the latest version, but everything I've read thus far is that X-Plane has a better/more realistic flight model and scenery handling (but lacks scenery by default). Undecided still.

I've flown the DC-3 and Learjet around the world, as in circumnavigated... took in all the sights, like the Pyramids in Egypt, France, England, etc etc etc. I've landed the Learjet on the aircraft carrier... only to have rolled it off the edge in an attempt to turn around so I could take off again lol.

Wow, flying a DC-3 around the world... How long did that take you?:confused: I'm currently circumnavigating the world in the A380, in 4 flights: London Heathrow-Tokyo Narita, Tokyo-Sydney Kingsford Smith, Sydney-Miami (longest flight I've ever done, 8000 nautical miles, 14800km, and took around 17 hours. What I do on such flights is hand fly all the way to cruise altitude, then engage autopilot, and go do something else, then come back when ATC calls or to look at some scenery, like over Siberia on the London-Tokyo flight, quite interesting views), and finally Miami-Back to Heathrow. Descent and landing are usually hand flown, to make it fun! Anyway, I like flying airliners as they are much more advanced than most other airplanes, and there is just the idea of long-hauls, just flying above everything else crossing half the world over thousands of kilometers, sometimes over the world's most remote areas, cruising at near sound speed. Then there's the awesome feeling when you land a multi-hundred ton monster like the A380 smoothly. Large jets tend to be much faster and less forgiving on mistakes than small planes, so it gives you less time to react and makes it more challenging. But I often fly on small planes as well, especially for sightseeing, where the slow speeds and maneuverability are very useful.

As I recall, it took me somewhere around 3 months. I tried to log a few hours every day, but that wasn't always possible. Autopilot on the DC-3 is crude, and the trim can at times be obstinate especially when trying to use real-world weather. A lot of babysitting was required. I took a rather long route, as watching endless ocean roll beneath you is boring. The fun part was the "flight planning"... there really wasn't any. Basically I'd open up the map window and start checking out what was ahead before each take-off, trying to find strips along the way where refueling was possible.

Sometimes I have to blink at my screenshots to make sure I didn't mix them in with my real world photos of these aircraft.

http://i.imgur.com/d78kYYj.jpg

(FSX with Acceleration running Steve's Fix, with Xtreme Prototype's X-15, the older version, terribly buggy but still a beauty to look at)

great pic!

FSX can really look good under certain conditions

as for me, I enjoy flying the learjets and spitfires (addon) but my first passion has always been helicopters so the Bell.... jetranger? I think?....can't remember

The oil rig mission is lots of fun.

I want to try this, but £700 of DLC puts me off ;.;

Well, there are many great free addons, and all of mine are! The A380 in the screenshot is by far the best addon I have, and it's completely free! Obviously, if you want ultra-realism and 'as real as it gets', then there are great addons for that as well, but they cost quite a lot...

Ooo... FSX screen shots? I've got some!

I actually planned and led this strike (K6952)

/Superbug rocks!

More goodies:

I'm #2 on this shakedown of the FSX Blue Angels Hornet

Carrier traps with various aircraft

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Couldn't really see the pipper except in the last two runs. What were you dropping? Looked to me like you were a bit too low to be dropping the likes of GBU's, CBU's, or MK's ... at that altitude you'd have been hit by your own blast and/or shockwave.

Couldn't really see the pipper except in the last two runs. What were you dropping? Looked to me like you were a bit too low to be dropping the likes of GBU's, CBU's, or MK's ... at that altitude you'd have been hit by your own blast and/or shockwave.

LordFerret,

This was several different pilots working with Superbug before TacPack was released. We had modeled Mk.82s with retarders and daisy-cutters for this shoot. You can drop those right down on the deck.

The drops with the CCIP pipper were remoted from my ship. Not all of the pilots had worked out the full avionics suite at that point.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

LordFerret,

This was several different pilots working with Superbug before TacPack was released. We had modeled Mk.82s with retarders and daisy-cutters for this shoot. You can drop those right down on the deck.

The drops with the CCIP pipper were remoted from my ship. Not all of the pilots had worked out the full avionics suite at that point.

Best,

-Slashy

I figured something as such. I've Googled Superbug and TacPack; Interesting stuff, new to me. What's you're opinion of it verses Falcon 4.0 BMS?

I figured something as such. I've Googled Superbug and TacPack; Interesting stuff, new to me. What's you're opinion of it verses Falcon 4.0 BMS?

LordFerret,

I can't compare it to Falcon 4.0 since I've never flown it. I was strictly a naval aviation guy. A lot of the other pilots compared it to the A-10 Warthog sim favorably.

Superbug combined with Tac- Pack is far and away the most faithful reproduction I've ever seen. It can be flown IAW the actual NATOPS for the type and performs as predicted. It even models failures from incorrect operation.

Best,

-Slashy

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play it a long, long time ago... and I just now started again.

And of course the first thing I needed to figure out was if you can make custom plane textures.

Guess what?

4YNcl7k.png

(You can)

I'm probably not going to do anything with this, but it's good to know for future projects.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.