[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

20 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Heh... I don't ever play without RP so I wouldn't know. Of course... I'm bad at writing RP configs so the verniers don't have effects with that either...

Will investigate.

I could have sworn that was fixed... Yes, that seems to just be us. We've had problems with the dome antenna doing that.

Noted.

Also I feel like Behemoth Aerospace really conflicts with this mod... we're like tiny early rockets and Behemoth's parts are... wow...

Yeah, I noticed that with the decoupler, too. I'll see if I can fix that myself; However I'm not the best with actual part configs.

That math seems... really useful. I'll talk to Cobalt about it. Good job. :3

As for the plumes, are you talking about the RealPlumes configs? If so, thank you very much.   wrote them myself. :P

The Problem that Science won't be transmittet if I click "Transmit Date" is solved! The Problem was the Mod  "Science Alert".

Just the  "DP-75 Antenna" Problem is left on my BugRep.

Happy New Year and go on with your great work!

On 25 December 2015 at 2:23 AM, VenomousRequiem said:

Oh, a first post? Welcome to the forums! Did you make your account just to say you like our work? :3

Really, I can work on the .craft files if you'd really like.

On a mildly unrelated note, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! And have a happy anything else if you're not into Christmas! Cheers!!

Yeah! that would be awesome thanks :)

2 hours ago, Perceptor87 said:

Ok, so. I love this mod, I love pretty much everything about it. BUT. For some reason, for the new parts, there is no engine effects. No flames. Please, how can I fix this?

As in the Titan engines? In the dev update?

Edit- Removed RealPlumes to test this, and it seems everything is in order. Maybe it's some kind of weird bug..? I really haven't a clue.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

2 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

the only "dependency" is DMagic Science Animate

That must be why the folder "DMagicScienceAnimate" exists next to the BDB folder.

...and as always, to me, BDB has its uses not just in American rocketry, but on other rockets as well.

...say, Ariane, and in this case, Ariane 3:
RemarkableBlankBeauceron.gif

On 12/30/2015 at 10:30 PM, davidy12 said:

@VenomousRequiem, @CobaltWolf: Thanks for the titan II AT LAST (Not angry or impatient just excited)!!! Though does it have proper KSP Name?

Also, Venom was referring to quicksilver. Why not put all the plumes in one pack?

All the Titan stuff is getting proper names as they are made. The descriptions are pretty bland, if anyone has better 'Kerbal-y' descriptions feel free to share. I'm awful at writing them.

On 12/30/2015 at 10:20 AM, fs10inator said:

I see some solid progress going on with Titan.

However, there's just only one suggestion I'm going to make regarding Titan: decoupler cosmetics. 

Another Titan II decoupler, same model, but only a repaint; a purely grey-ish scheme similar to the one found on Titan 23G (pictured below), as well as on later Titans.

...as well as another copy of the same decoupler model, but with a white texture for Titan IVB.

Sorry, I don't think I'll be doing reskins of parts. I can share the PSD files for anyone that wants to edit them, the same goes for any sort of remix-ing of my work, for example if someone wants to rebalance the parts or something via MM. If anyone makes a remix I will link it in OP.

On 12/30/2015 at 1:00 PM, akron said:

I have some early "First-impression" "casual gamer" feedback from my testing last night.

- I felt the Techtree progression was a little strange, will it get a revision later on? It seemed like I was unlocking things a bit too quickly as I had way more advanced tech than what I am used to in Tier 1 career. Batteries and solar panels early on, as well as a more science experiments than usual. I don't think a Thermometer should be mid-Tier, mind you, but that's how it is in stock sot it's weird to get it ahead of time.

- The simple antenna (AKD2?)is rather heavy despite saying it is light. Not sure why, but it registered as heavier than the Communotron 16

- Mercury Parts are fracking awesome. The capsule does flip quite a bit after using the escape tower though. Also, is the solid fuel AND oxidizer on the retro pack intentional? Is it just to make it throttle-able?

- I love modular designs, but I sometimes put together mod parts that are "supposed" to go together. I got confused early on because I was seeing fuel tank sizes that didn't have an adapter or an engine counterpart. I guess I just need to get used to it and become more familiar with the real-life counterparts (And your naming convention), but it was confusing until I got past the "Mercury" parts. I didn't what was supposed to match with what. It was a lot of different diameters too quickly. I know this won't change, just a first impression.

- I like the fuel tanks are not plain but have interesting, different, textures and more geometry than just a "cylinder"

- May I suggest a custom editor category for the part pack? It will certainly make it easier to separate them

More thoughts as I come across them and progress through the tech tree. I find it easier to test parts in little chunks as they unlock. Good job, guys

I could have sworn I saw Tweakscale configs in the latest release and it is mentioned in the OP

-The Kerbal tech tree progression is awful. There aren't nearly enough nodes, for one thing. The stock progression is very out of whack. I try to strike a balance between unlocking things in historical order, and unlocking them in a way that makes sense for gameplay. The progression leans towards the way I tend to play (though I haven't actually played the game since I started BDB) where the progression is significantly slowed, and tech node unlocks are far between, meaning you tend to make the most out of the parts in a given node. When playing like that, having such essential parts as solar panels and batteries so late in the tree becomes a death sentence. But with that said, I have actually been tweaking some of the part placement in the tech tree the last couple days.

-The antenna thing doesn't matter, as they are both set to have PhysicsSignificance = 1, which means they don't contribute to mass or drag.

- I think I offset the thrust on the LES a bit much then. I'll try and fix it. The retro pack actually wasn't made by me; the Mercury retro pack and the pod were adopted from an older mod called Bloeting Corp. I can't really speak for the decision to make it throttleable, but I have been experimenting with adding more controllable upper stage SRBs, which normally are useless in KSP seeing as we're not all professional rocket scientists.

-BDB definitely isn't for new players. I am a part pack addict - I used to run Tantares, AIES, FASA, KWR, NovaPunch and who knows what else together and still feel like I didn't have enough parts. While there are certainly 'canon' configuration for many of the parts (Titan in particular is being made this way), I also am trying to add parts that are useful. I've tried to make it clear what parts are via the descriptions, which is partially why the fuel tank descriptions are so dry ("1.5m fuel tank", "1.5m to 0.9375m adapter tank", etc) so it's a bit more obvious how things go together. So to try and bring this response back to making some sort of point, BDB adds a lot of new stuff and I suppose that's kind of the point haha.

-Hurray! I was hoping nobody would notice that I was basically just copying and rescaling cylinders and then repainting the outside. Looks like it's working!

-I'll look into it, it sounds useful.

On 12/31/2015 at 8:03 PM, Jso said:

The bottom node on the Prometheus-II-875 Stack Decoupler is a hair too low. I can see sky between it and an attached tank. I don't mean the blast openings (nice btw).

I think there's too much fuel in the tanks. For example the Prometheus-II-1287 Liquid Fuel Tank is 4.1 by 1.875 meters. It holds 1287 units of LiquidFuel and 1573 Oxidizer (2860 units total). The volume of that cylinder is 11.32 cubic meters, or 11,320 liters. At 5 liters per fuel unit, there should be max 2264 units of fuel. At 85% utilization it would be 1924, or 865.8 LiquidFuel and 1058.2 Oxidizer. I have a couple days off, I can go through and check the other tanks if there's agreement with my math.

The plumes look good. I can never get them lined up that well.

I'll fix the decoupler if Venom hasn't already. I've been using Maya coordinates for the locations of the nodes (place a locator and snap it to one of the top/bottom vertices of a part to get the coords) but Maya doesn't use as many significant figures as Unity, so that was probably a rounding error.

I would very much appreciate it if you looked over all the parts and PM'd me the correct values haha. I'll keep the math in mind from now on.

Blame Venom for the nice plumes.

On 12/31/2015 at 3:08 AM, Jso said:

It's a fun little rocket. I stuck one on top of a Vanguard-Ablestar and flung it upwards. Lit off the Explorer at apoapsis and it ended up in something like a 300x1500 km orbit. It even inadvertently spin stabilized itself when KOS lost roll control on the way up. I never realized how tiny those first satellites were.

Explorer is brokenly OP right now. It is getting redone soon (though I kinda like the probe core. That will probably stay) when I do Juno II, so y'all will also get all the fun extra Sergeant clusters and such.

On 12/31/2015 at 10:11 AM, Araym said:

I took a ride to the Titan parts: VERY NICELY DONE!
*Titan part tech tree placement*
Real life notes: actually, there was really not so much differences but what was a Titan III and a Titan IV, for the main rocket: both first and second stage engines were the same.
The real change were about the solid boosters: Titan III had the first generation solids like in the Gemini-MOL launch (in various lenght but with the same engineering layout, with those side tanks to "stear" the solids), then came Titan IV with the newer solids with actual, real, gimballing nozzle.
But to not mess too much with tech nodes, I found the Titan IV upper stage already were it was in your config, higher than the first stage ones, so I "build up" the idea of a "scalar development" of first stage first than the upper one :P

I just forgot to place the Titan IV first stage engine in the correct node. It's supposed to be in Heavier Rocketry.

I'm not doing Titan III for that reason - it's pretty much just Titan II or IV, depending on which configuration (the Titan III-A Agena is pretty much Titan II with a Transtage and then Agena).

I actually did the 5 and 7 segment SRMs yesterday but my Skydrive won't sync it so screenshots will have to come later.

On 12/31/2015 at 5:06 PM, Kamaling said:

The Problem that Science won't be transmittet if I click "Transmit Date" is solved! The Problem was the Mod  "Science Alert".

Just the  "DP-75 Antenna" Problem is left on my BugRep.

Happy New Year and go on with your great work!

You mean the Dome antenna? I am just going to remake that thing from scratch. It's buggy for some unknown reason. The Antennas were some of the first parts I made and I've learned a lot since then. I can make them far better now.

9 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Oh, no, no, the only "dependency" is DMagic Science Animate. Everything else should be absolutely optional, as in the engines should work fine without RP.

Right now DMSA is just used for the Micrometeorite Detector experiment but I have a bunch of new things that will use it, plus it's a dependency of SEP. If the RP configs are causing this much trouble we'll have to move it back to an optional download or something.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry, I don't think I'll be doing reskins of parts. I can share the PSD files for anyone that wants to edit them, the same goes for any sort of remix-ing of my work, for example if someone wants to rebalance the parts or something via MM. If anyone makes a remix I will link it in OP.

I'm ok with that.

Also, what's wrong with the Atlas V textures?

3 hours ago, fs10inator said:

I'm ok with that.

Also, what's wrong with the Atlas V textures?

They're just super low res. I think I can reuse most of the texture, I just have to redraw the linework for the panel edges and such. I'm actually opening that up right now, and that means IMPROMPTU DEV STREAM FOR THE NEXT COUPLE HOURS.

EDIT: Stream is done, got some work done on the Atlas V textures and worked on the new Centaur interstages.

Edited by CobaltWolf

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

-The antenna thing doesn't matter, as they are both set to have PhysicsSignificance = 1, which means they don't contribute to mass or drag.

- I think I offset the thrust on the LES a bit much then. I'll try and fix it. The retro pack actually wasn't made by me; the Mercury retro pack and the pod were adopted from an older mod called Bloeting Corp. I can't really speak for the decision to make it throttleable, but I have been experimenting with adding more controllable upper stage SRBs, which normally are useless in KSP seeing as we're not all professional rocket scientists.

I haven't tested it but I thought PhysicsSignificance = 1 eliminated the drag and added the mass to the parent part?

I would make the retro pack a monopropellant engine if you want it controllable. A strong case can be made for doing it that way on usability grounds, and it's super easy to turn it back into an srb with an MM patch if desired.

I'll look at the tanks tonight.

4 hours ago, Jso said:

I haven't tested it but I thought PhysicsSignificance = 1 eliminated the drag and added the mass to the parent part?

I would make the retro pack a monopropellant engine if you want it controllable. A strong case can be made for doing it that way on usability grounds, and it's super easy to turn it back into an srb with an MM patch if desired.

I'll look at the tanks tonight.

i hesitate to change the retro pack, seeing as it isn't really mine. :)
Thanks for looking at the tanks!

Well, today is the last day I have to work on BDB before school starts, so I'll be streaming again. Tune in to watch me work or chat about KSP. I'm probably going to be working on:

• Titan IV and SRBs
  • Delta parts
  • Centaur parts
  • Parts for MOL and not-Gemini
Edited by CobaltWolf

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

i hesitate to change the retro pack, seeing as it isn't really mine. :)
Thanks for looking at the tanks!

Well, today is the last day I have to work on BDB before school starts, so I'll be streaming again. Tune in to watch me work or chat about KSP. I'm probably going to be working on:

• Titan IV and SRBs
  • Delta parts
  • Centaur parts
  • Parts for MOL and not-Gemini

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, here's a link to the latest dev release. Includes new textures for almost all the Muo parts (Atlas I and V), new interstages for the Centaur parts, and the Titan SRBs (5 and 7 segment SRMs, the 3 segment SRMUs, bigger separatrons and a nose cone with built in separation motors). I've also done some balance work, tweaked tech tree placement a bit. The Atlas 1 parts now come in General Rocketry. Previously only the 1.25m engines were unlocked in that node. So Atlas should come well in time for your Mercury launches now.

NEYvh8O.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, JPmAn said:

I have improvised!

5ad6HXi.jpg

It is a Titan IVA, even with red tanks from FTP. This is AWESOME! Already sent a mission using it.

*WOW*. That is beautiful. Is that using the new SRMs? If not you should check them out.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

*WOW*. That is beautiful. Is that using the new SRMs? If not you should check them out.

It was using tweakscaled BACCs

EDIT: I can post a craft file if anyone wants me to! Just gotta wait till tomorrow. 

EDIT 2: Once I get the new dev version, I can also put together one with the new boosters.

Edited by JPmAn

I would call this a Titan IVB, but not just any Titan IVB...

Titan IVBDB
Made as an interim vehicle, transitioning from NovaPunch solids to BDB SRMUs.
The core vehicle was scaled down from 2.5m to 1.875m in order for its diameter to match with the BDB SRMUs.

The following pictures are from a test flight carrying a 20.87t dummy into a 200km, equatorial orbit.

1 hour ago, fs10inator said:

I would call this a Titan IVB, but not just any Titan IVB...

Titan IVBDB
Made as an interim vehicle, transitioning from NovaPunch solids to BDB SRMUs.
The core vehicle was scaled down from 2.5m to 1.875m in order for its diameter to match with the BDB SRMUs.

The following pictures are from a test flight carrying a 20.87t dummy into a 200km, equatorial orbit.

Wow, that looks awesome. Just downloading now. Can't wait to give them a whirl.

Put a ride on the latest dev release...

... I have actually no photos of my test (they were not really so much worth of it) but, as I told you in the streaming, Cobalt, I'll review them like a tester report:

overall, Titans parts are awesome: SRBs are really nicely done, and those separators you made are really like the real one (just used andegraf.com to view the similarities with real parts :) )

As someone prevously noticed, there is still the little gap open in the bottom of the Titan II decoupler (bluedog_Titan2_1875mDecoupler), when connected to the first stage tanks.
I did some "eyeballing" tweaks on the bottom node:

changing the bottom node to
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.34, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

made it perfectly fit for any tank (bold one changed: I did some multiple test, going down from -0.346 to that number in decremental 0.001 changes)

Then I tested the new Centaur...

and I found also a little difficoult, sometime, to separate the engine mounting plate (and engines) from your decoupler-fairing covering it. I noticed a bit of clipping (more from the bluedog_centaur25mAdapterFairing, as I noticed that its model is a little smaller on the top than the straight 1.875 one) to the exposed ridge of the mounting plate: I didn't tried any tweaking, for the moment, but probably a slight adjustment downward on the internal node used to add the decoupler-fairing should be needed (nothing extreme, I guess: probably in the same range the Titan decoupler needed to be flush with tanks) to avoid collision-clipping that are not allowing a neat separation.
(I advice it to you, if you are going to release a teakscale config for those parts: the problem, rather casual on the standard model dimension, is going worse on upscaled parts - I made selfmade config for me-, like the small clipped part between colliders is bigger on proportion and does not almost always allow a straight separation, untill you shake the rocket a lot with command inputs)

BUT those are just "searching the tiny bits of problems in an overall awesome part pack"!

Now...

... what next?? Delta rockets? IUS? Delta  III/IV cryogenic stages??? Arf Arf Arf :P