[STOCK] The Legendary Warbirds of World War II (Aircraft Pack) [Most Recent: Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero]

Columbia

These are awesome Columbia! I will give them a go when I have a chance. ^ lol azimech

Thank you!

The Bf-110 was most successful as a night fighter, so I would push for that. I found out that it can carry an external payload of up to 1,100 pounds.

Welp, after a few aesthetic modifications, I'm releasing it first thing in the morning.

Slightly off topic, but in other news, a friend of mine sent me this: www.ww2airpowerexpo.org

It's an expo. For World War Two planes. That you can visit, touch and fly in. God, the B-17 and B-29 are part of those.

It's heavenly.

Welp, after a few aesthetic modifications, I'm releasing it first thing in the morning.

Slightly off topic, but in other news, a friend of mine sent me this: www.ww2airpowerexpo.org

It's an expo. For World War Two planes. That you can visit, touch and fly in. God, the B-17 and B-29 are part of those.

It's heavenly.

It's beautiful!! Too bad I don't live in Louisiana. At least we still have our own air expo over here with Vietnam era helicopters. I bet you can't say you've flown in a Huey that flew combat missions in the Nam!

Cant wait for the Bf-110, I'n interested to see what you used for the radar equipment.

It's beautiful!! Too bad I don't live in Louisiana. At least we still have our own air expo over here with Vietnam era helicopters. I bet you can't say you've flown in a Huey that flew combat missions in the Nam!

Cant wait for the Bf-110, I'n interested to see what you used for the radar equipment.

You flew a Huey???? wow! Thank you!! My cousin was a Gunner in the Vietnam War, also I am about 3 Hours from New Orleans and 23 is my Birthday, this would be a nice Birthday if I could make it, but not looking likely these days.

Edited by castille7

You flew a Huey???? wow! Thank you!! My cousin was a Gunner in the Vietnam War, also I am about 3 Hours from New Orleans and 23 is my Birthday, this would be a nice Birthday if I could make it, but not looking likely these days.

I flew in a Huey. They made me sit in the seat in front of the transmission well because I guess they thought it was too dangerous to let anyone under 18 sit near the doors.

I have, in fact, flown several helicopter simulators used by the Army for training. Living near the largest helicopter base in the world has many perks.

Alright, back to the topic, if you want to talk about my adventures with army helicopters, you can PM me.

Crap. When I save an edit, the albums show "Javascript is disabled. View full album" and I can click to it and it'll show.

But it doesn't appear when it's an actual working album.

Ah well, I'll resort to images.

- - - Updated - - -

I edited what i can, and am hoping for the best for the albums of the P-47 and P-38.

Embedded Imgur albums don't show up until the page they're on is refreshed.

I flew in a Huey. They made me sit in the seat in front of the transmission well because I guess they thought it was too dangerous to let anyone under 18 sit near the doors.

I have, in fact, flown several helicopter simulators used by the Army for training. Living near the largest helicopter base in the world has many perks.

Alright, back to the topic, if you want to talk about my adventures with army helicopters, you can PM me.

Aw, come on, we all want to hear your stories!

Also, what do you mean by radar equipment? The antennas scattered across the aircraft's nose? I think that's the G-6 variant, sorry.

Embedded Imgur albums don't show up until the page they're on is refreshed.

I know, but when it is refreshed, it says that it doesn't exist.

Doesn't matter, I resorted to images.

[...]

I know, but when it is refreshed, it says that it doesn't exist.

Doesn't matter, I resorted to images.

Ah well, images look better than albums anyway.

Time to derail threads with plane stories? Great! I've flown in a tri-motor, and I've seen a B-17 fly overhead. Plus, a original Sopwith Camel occasionally flies overhead, but I can't remember when that last happened.

Progress update:

Fixing a few performance issues, added seats and rear turret.

The cockpit's so damn spacious you could walk around it freely.

LBnILme.png

3zVDKGN.png

- - - Updated - - -

Ah well, images look better than albums anyway.

Time to derail threads with plane stories? Great! I've flown in a tri-motor, and I've seen a B-17 fly overhead. Plus, a original Sopwith Camel occasionally flies overhead, but I can't remember when that last happened.

..Holy crap.

The farthest I've gone was the Museum of Flight in Seattle -- and at the time, every fighter I saw came into my head as a "Spitfire."

;_;

Aw, come on, we all want to hear your stories!

Also, what do you mean by radar equipment? The antennas scattered across the aircraft's nose? I think that's the G-6 variant, sorry.

Yeah, the antennas allowed the fighter to find enemy bombers in the dark, move into position, and shoot them down. They seem to be pretty imperative for a WWII night fighter.

A sort of interesting thing happened today. I went to an American Civil War reenactment (based on a pitifully tiny skirmish in 1865, but somehow became a big festival with canon and cavalry and stuff). Right after the battle ended and the Union soldiers retreated from the field, an AH-64 Apache helicopter flew overheard in the direction of the Union troops, so I started joking about how the Apache was really a secret Confederate weapon that was the main reason for their many victories in the early part of the war.

What a way to ruin the mood. But hey, I got to see an Apache flyby, which isn't normal, even for me.

Yeah, the antennas allowed the fighter to find enemy bombers in the dark, move into position, and shoot them down. They seem to be pretty imperative for a WWII night fighter.

A sort of interesting thing happened today. I went to an American Civil War reenactment (based on a pitifully tiny skirmish in 1865, but somehow became a big festival with canon and cavalry and stuff). Right after the battle ended and the Union soldiers retreated from the field, an AH-64 Apache helicopter flew overheard in the direction of the Union troops, so I started joking about how the Apache was really a secret Confederate weapon that was the main reason for their many victories in the early part of the war.

What a way to ruin the mood. But hey, I got to see an Apache flyby, which isn't normal, even for me.

..You mean this?

2_63_b2.jpg

Also, why does the Apache ruin the mood? Is it because it's modern?

What experiences you guys have. :)

I've seen Apaches at a firing range... 30 mms sound awesome

..You mean this?

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/318/pics/2_63_b2.jpg

Also, why does the Apache ruin the mood? Is it because it's modern?

Yeah, that.

Well, we were watching a reenactment of a Civil War battle, with rifled muskets and smoothbore cannons, and then suddenly this modern, high tech attack helicopter flies overhead and reminds us all that we are in 2015, not 1865.

I don't normally see Apaches because the airspace over where I live is for Blackhawks. There is a Blackhawk corridor that runs right over my house, and an OH-58D corridor within sight of it, so I see those often, but Chinooks and Apaches are rare.

Maybe I ought to start a thread to discuss helicopters if so many people want to hear my stories...

Yeah, that.

Well, we were watching a reenactment of a Civil War battle, with rifled muskets and smoothbore cannons, and then suddenly this modern, high tech attack helicopter flies overhead and reminds us all that we are in 2015, not 1865.

I don't normally see Apaches because the airspace over where I live is for Blackhawks. There is a Blackhawk corridor that runs right over my house, and an OH-58D corridor within sight of it, so I see those often, but Chinooks and Apaches are rare.

Maybe I ought to start a thread to discuss helicopters if so many people want to hear my stories...

Oh, I see.

The thing is, if I researched correctly, only the G and F variants had the antennas, since they were turned into full blown night fighters, and the one I made was based off the C-4. Up to you, though.

- - - Updated - - -

So I was talking to a friend of mine, discussing KSP, and I linked him this thread in Facebook;

rIXceS3.png

Hilarious thumbnail.

Waiting for pTrevTrevs' input to release the Bf 110.

In the meantime, I need to work on a logo..

Wait, my input? It's your craft, you can release it however you like. I would prefer the radar antennas if you're going for the night fighter version, but if you would rather do the fighter bomber variant, don't let my opinions stop you!

EDIT: There is one small thing I noticed; the Bf-110 only carried two crew members, but yours has three. The night fighter variants did have three, so if you're releasing it as that, keep the third seat, but if not, it should probably be removed.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

It won't look right without some sort of wizardry at the front to mimic all those antennas! Assuming you're going for night fighter.... But the overall shape looks good, even at humungous scale ;).

Does it count as cheating if you have a [lapsed] pilot's license?

It bothers me because the airframe does not taper correctly, the top edge should be straight, virtually from nose to tail. I just played around and if you use an interstage fairing in the tail to connect to a straight edge taper tail piece you can make that straight top edge. The nose is going to be difficult, even with fairing tweaker it is difficult to get that slow taper and then fast rounded nose. I can send you a craft file if you want to demonstrate what I mean, it's got no wings or anything it's just an empty fuselage. Also the problem with WWII planes is that hardly any had a round cross section, so using radiator panels and wing sections gives you a better match for the shape immediately, but is not as clean.

DdM1w3E.png

It actually works better with the normal tail peice

Edited by selfish_meme

It bothers me because the airframe does not taper correctly, the top edge should be straight, virtually from nose to tail

..Sorry, but what the hell do you mean when you say that?

The only fighter aircraft I've seen with a flat top is the Bf 109, and even that isn't through the entire fuselage. If anything, it's still rounded.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-487-3066-04,_Flugzeug_Messerschmitt_Me_109.jpg

Also the problem with WWII planes is that hardly any had a round cross section

The majority of them were oval-shaped, such as this Spitfire.

Spitfire-1.jpg

If I'm wrong though, correct me please.

Thanks for the photo, though, but I don't really get what you mean.

Edited by Columbia

..Sorry, but what do you mean when you say that?

The only fighter aircraft I've seen with a flat top is the Bf 109, and even that isn't through the entire fuselage..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-487-3066-04,_Flugzeug_Messerschmitt_Me_109.jpg

The majority of them were ovals..

http://www.albentley-drawings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spitfire-1.jpg

If I'm wrong though, correct me please.

Thanks for the photo, though, but I don't really get what you mean.

You may be right, it doesn't look right when I do it my way either, every aircraft has a centreline that goes from the tip of the nose to the trailing edge. Depending on it's picture orientation the BF110 top edge looks to be either straight or just off straight. But you can see below it's definitely not completely straight.

bf110_profile10.png

You may be right, it doesn't look right when I do it my way either, every aircraft has a centreline that goes from the tip of the nose to the trailing edge. Depending on it's picture orientation the BF110 top edge looks to be either straight or just off straight. But you can see below it's definitely not completely straight.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/bf110/images/bf110_profile10.png

Hmm.. good point.

Also:

Wait, my input? It's your craft, you can release it however you like. I would prefer the radar antennas if you're going for the night fighter version, but if you would rather do the fighter bomber variant, don't let my opinions stop you!

EDIT: There is one small thing I noticed; the Bf-110 only carried two crew members, but yours has three. The night fighter variants did have three, so if you're releasing it as that, keep the third seat, but if not, it should probably be removed.

It won't look right without some sort of wizardry at the front to mimic all those antennas! Assuming you're going for night fighter.... But the overall shape looks good, even at humungous scale ;).

Does it count as cheating if you have a [lapsed] pilot's license?

enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

Well.. uhm... yeah.

JNBh0WZ.png

The problem is, Destruction Effects causes decoupling to cause "fire" effects.

1CcWecq.png

VXWn6oj.jpg

But hey, at least it still works.

​ALLAHU AKBAR!!

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought, I realized that I have hella few British aircraft.

It bothers me because the airframe does not taper correctly, the top edge should be straight, virtually from nose to tail. I just played around and if you use an interstage fairing in the tail to connect to a straight edge taper tail piece you can make that straight top edge. The nose is going to be difficult, even with fairing tweaker it is difficult to get that slow taper and then fast rounded nose. I can send you a craft file if you want to demonstrate what I mean, it's got no wings or anything it's just an empty fuselage. Also the problem with WWII planes is that hardly any had a round cross section, so using radiator panels and wing sections gives you a better match for the shape immediately, but is not as clean.

http://i.imgur.com/DdM1w3E.png

It actually works better with the normal tail peice

What's fairing tweaker?

Nevermind I found it.

Edited by Majorjim

Almost straight top? Here's another one:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/336/pics/1_45_b1.jpg

..Ah. So that's what selfish_meme meant.

I still don't know any aircraft in the OP that have incorrect tapering, can you be more specific?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, may I ask, what aircraft is that? I practically have no knowledge on Soviet war aircraft, sorry.

Edited by Columbia

..Ah. So that's what selfish_meme meant.

I still don't know any aircraft in the OP that have incorrect tapering, can you be more specific?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, may I ask, what aircraft is that? I practically have no knowledge on Soviet war aircraft, sorry.

I think it's an LaGG-3, but I don't know for sure

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.