The Gliese-581 Star System

Gliese-581 Earth like planet...  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Gliese-581 Earth like planet...

• Make Gliese-581d, a planet with ~7 x the mass of Earth the habitable planet.
    • Don't even make a habitable planet.

The Gliese-581 System!

Files got deleted, will be working on this. Crap.

Download: (Beta)

This mod adds a new solar system (right now, it technically orbits Kerbol. Whenever I finish this mod, I might to get it slipped into Kerbal Galactic)

Gliese-581 is a real solar system, and I thought it was pretty cool and I wanted to learn how to use Kopernicus before moving on to my Sonne System.

(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/137178-The-Sonne-System)

Requires LibraCORE

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/137791-LibraCORE

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Version 0.1.0 (Beta stage)

Colors in red havn't been started.

Orange: Started at the least, (maybe a basic template but fails a lot/I don't know how to make up close land details, like when you get below 200,000 meters.)

Yellow: Partially created, prototype done. Not done, but is actually in the game.

Light green: Mostly done, just final bugs to fix.

Green: Completely done.

Gliese 581b: Super hot gas giant with a couple moons

Gaxen: (JAH-CKS-SIN) A clump of clay. Yes, it has water. It orbits Gliese 581b at a rather strange orbit, and is pretty small. Coming up as Tylo for some reason.

Kopernic: Large smooth, cold dusty moon that always remains behind Gliese-581b. If the physics allow it, and if it is possible. Vwahla!

Eeopa: An ice moon of Gliese-581b.

Gliese 581c: ~1.5 the size of Earth (Kerbin, because I do 1/10th scale) A super Venus with an extrememly thick atmosphere. Fun!

-Glacier: A new moon of Gliese-581c. Glacier is an icy world with huge canyons. Whilst thought to be ice, it is actually carbon dioxide.

Gliese 581d: Planet with the right size for being habitable, and the right atmosphere, but a barren desert. Some day I will make it a planet like Kerbin or Earth.

Gliese 581e: 1.7 times as massive planet as Earth. Very close to Gliese 581 (Star,) so it has no moons nor a sufficient atmosphere. It is tidally locked and one side is cold. The atmosphere is pretty thin, also. The temperature is JUST right, though.

-Oceanus: A moon first thought to be Laythe, this moon of Gliese-581e is completely covered in oceans. In fact, it rotates so quickly if you were to land on the surface, you would be pulled off. So go to the poles!

Nixe: First moon of Gliese 581d, with 1/2 the radius of Gliese-581d and 37 percent the mass. 8 mil a way.

And various other moons planned.

Should I add more celestial bodies to this, make expansion packs, or just improve current bodies? (I accidentaly made the current poll go forever...)

-Added to my LibraCORE

-Gliese-581 (star) Now is red with a bright corona, just like the real one.

Edited by John The Physicist

By far my favorite thing yet far- Nixe! Nixe is a large moon of Gliese-581d that orbits about 8 million (semimajoraxis) from Gliese-581d. The Mun orbits 12 million from Kerbin.

Nixe is 50 percent the size and 37 percent mass of its parent, making a huge body-to-parent proportion. Some pics. Notice- Gliese-581d is not done. I want it to have an ataquette atmosphere and a different surface. (For some reason, the atmosphere asl is 0.0091239 or something, and the template is the Mun.)

A full Nixe.

OJNtPZe.png

Nixe in map view.

90bIwjX.png

Nixe as a cresent Nixe. Notice the two stars- Gliese-581 and Kerbol. Gliese-581 is so small that Gliese-581d (the planet) orbits closer to it than Kerbin orbits Kerbol, yet it appears millions of kilometers away.

SkqYq0n.png

Half Nixe.

O9Y7f2C.png

- - - Updated - - -

I love how Nixe appears hyper-realistic.

Hm. Currently the computer I am using right now is kind of on one leg, I am trying to get a new tower.

But Nixe turned out well, everything else is kinda doing bad because I have no idea whatsoever how to use PQS mods for the config. I am learning though!

this is rather interesting, I haven't seen many new systems coming around. I look the look of it, your work looks phenomenal!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice, Also, could you put in Gliese 581g, just because? You don't have to, I'm just wondering:)

I was thinking I might add a Gliese-581g like planet as a moon of Gliese-581b, or possibly an expansion pack. (I am pondering expannsion packs because the planets take RAM and people dont always want everything.)

As your planet pack required LibraCORE to function, you should add in every config the folowing line:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus][COLOR=#FF0000]:NEEDS[LibraCORE][/COLOR]

Not necessarily, only the parent star should need this, and please double-check the MM identifier before you say this, it might not have one!!!

Not necessarily, only the parent star should need this, and please double-check the MM identifier before you say this, it might not have one!!!

If you should only do this for the star and LibraCORE is not installed, then that star will never get applied and all the other planets will not find the star

• 2 weeks later...
Gliese-581 and LibraCORE updated to 1.0.5!

Not even close. Kopernicus in 1.0.5 does not create buoyancy on planets and removes it on already existing worlds. It also has thermal problems. I would suggest that until Kopernicus 0.5 comes out you should keep the version at 1.0.4.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/27/2016 at 6:39 PM, jpinard said:

John would you be up for making this available?  I realize it may not be done but I'd love to tinker with it in my game.  Cheers! :D

Well, I got my files back. But the entire thing is screwed up to hell for some reason, and I might have to remake the entire thing... :(

On 5/1/2016 at 3:41 PM, John The Physicist said:

Well, I got my files back. But the entire thing is screwed up to hell for some reason, and I might have to remake the entire thing... :(

Kopernicus has changed a bit along with the base game so that could be why,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.