[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Sarbian (or anybody)...

I'm experiencing a Krakken event with landers, and I'm really not sure where to start looking other than some entries in the ksp.log file. I've been using the Landing Guidance AP to get several landers close together, but at random moments when they're off-camera (or just not the focus of the moment) one or more landers just disappears off the surface. The only concrete references I have that something went wrong are these cryptic entries in the log file:

[LOG 14:20:32.838] [Frontiersman K-001]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...

[LOG 14:20:44.034] [Frontiersman K-001]: ground contact! - error: 0.016m

[LOG 14:24:43.877] [Frontiersman K-001]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...

[LOG 14:24:55.066] [Frontiersman K-001]: ground contact! - error: 0.028m

[LOG 14:28:49.222] [Frontiersman K-001]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...

[LOG 14:30:30.852] [Frontiersman K-001]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...

[LOG 14:33:23.274] [Frontiersman K-001]: ground contact! - error: -0.002m

[WRN 14:38:50.290] Vessel Frontiersman K-001 crashed through terrain on the Mun

I do use a lot of mods, and I've just updated all that I could find new versions of, but this problem persists. Have you seen anything resembling this that I could look into?

CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor (4)

RAM: 3953

GPU: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 (1024MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.3 [4.3.0 NVIDIA 313.30])

Is anyone else on ascent ending up with apoapsis halfway to the Mun on that final circularization node even when you have the default 100km? I suspect Precise Node or RemoteTech2 recent xmas update. Remote seems more likely. It's been a problem in the past.

Is anyone else on ascent ending up with apoapsis halfway to the Mun on that final circularization node even when you have the default 100km? I suspect Precise Node or RemoteTech2 recent xmas update. Remote seems more likely. It's been a problem in the past.

The issue where for some reason MechJeb gets fore and aft mixed up then flips the ship around and burns the wrong way, despite having just flown a perfect ascent up to that point? Don't rely on the game's automatic choice for the active control part, especially if you're using the AR202 instead of a module manager patch to add MechJeb to command parts.

Set control from here to some part that's on the centerline of the ship and facing up.

Oh I all know about active part. That's not the issue. My probe cores are working fine. If they weren't I'd end up with a very different result, like burning towards the surface or at inclinations other than zero. It's burning the right way, but the node is completely wrong. MechJeb is generating the last node with an apoapsis much higher than the set 100km.

MechJeb does not work on one of my computers. I normally play on my desktop and it has never worked. Today i copied the game to my laptop to play and much to my surprise it worked fine. It is the exact same game files, i copied the install folder to my laptop and didn't change a thing. Any idea what the problem could be?

Is your antivirus on the desktop machine blocking the MJ .dll from running?

Yeah, I had same problem. It went away with the official release of the new RT. I can't say it was Precision Node, I took it out while its being fixed.

The issue where for some reason MechJeb gets fore and aft mixed up then flips the ship around and burns the wrong way, despite having just flown a perfect ascent up to that point? Don't rely on the game's automatic choice for the active control part, especially if you're using the AR202 instead of a module manager patch to add MechJeb to command parts.

Set control from here to some part that's on the centerline of the ship and facing up.

So I forgot to add the Mj module to a few of my probes. It is possible for me to go into the .cfg of the control pod and add Mj functionality?

Should be, but rather than editing the part.cfg files of every control part, it's easier to use module manager and a short cfg to patch them, which also automatically adds MechJeb to any new command part you put into the GameData folder tree.

I use the following to add Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb to all my pods (KE for the Flight Engineer readouts and MechJeb to see my sea-level-thrust -- crucial when building launchers with Realism Overhaul):

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}

!MODULE[MechJebCore]
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

I do use a lot of mods, and I've just updated all that I could find new versions of, but this problem persists. Have you seen anything resembling this that I could look into?

Nope, I've never seen anything like that.

I had a few question about the new "ÃŽâ€V include cosine losses" option, or the fact that the Delta-V windows now report negative number.

I eventually figured out this option, but it was still confusing, as the checkbox does nothing on a normal ship. Can you rename it "ÃŽâ€V considers engine angle" or something more understandable than "cosine loss"?

I have a bug whenever I select the docking autopilot it says select target I do so then the window blanks out and i am left with nothing but an empty window which says docking autopilot using the latest stable release for 0.23

Edited by Virtualgenius

I eventually figured out this option, but it was still confusing, as the checkbox does nothing on a normal ship. Can you rename it "ÃŽâ€V considers engine angle" or something more understandable than "cosine loss"?

Actually, I've seen a number of ship designed with off-axis engine mounts where the thrust doesn't act fully along the x-axis of the design. In those cases, a perfectly "normal" ship will correctly have a different result shown for dV if the box is or isn't checked.

What's more, "cosine loss" is both mathematically correct and what real aerospace engineers use to refer to the issue.

I've resumed playing recently, now getting used to v0.23, after stopping last April (using v 0.19).

A couple of questions related to Mechjeb.

Before Mechjeb 2, I was doing docking by using a part of Mechjeb's docking feature. The part that kept the two craft aligned parallel. With that feature, then I was able to manually dock with the ship. With a forward looking camera in the docking port, I could manually do the translations, and once centered in, then move forward towards the ship I was docking with.

Is there still some featurel ike that in Mechjeb 2? The autodock feature often wastes a lot of RCS propellant and last night it didn't even work right. So I would really like to be able to operate the RCS myself, but use Mechjebs automation to keep the two ships parallel to each other as before.

The other question is about the Jeb 9000. I LOVED using that part, especially for small probes. But it seems to keep .23 from loading. Can someone at least confirm that indeed Jeb 9000 is broken under .23? I realize if may be orphaned add-on, so I realize it may be gone for good.

In my return to using KSP, I'm really missing the Jeb-9000 and the DEMV-5 "Ant" rover that also seems to keep .23 from loading.

- GeorgeG

The dev build of mechjeb consistently oversteers my rather basic rocket (small chute, mk1 pod, decoupler, materials lab, FLT200, LV909), sometimes by over 180 degrees past its intended point. The only thing that seems to be able to consistently achieve a heading without just spinning around the desired point in wide sweeping circles, is the pod with the parachute left. :[

disregard, I stupid not fresh installed derp

Edited by Rulare

The docking camera was a separate addon. Not sure if it's still being updated these days. As for keeping the craft aligned, are you referring using TGT+ in the Smart A.S.S. module?

Ah, that was it, Smart A.S.S. in TGT mode, to keep them parallel (as I said, been a long time). Thanks.

For a docking camera, I'm using the hullcam, from Multiversal Mechatronics, much as I used before.

As for JEB 9000, I finally found a thread about it, and it's looking like it's not getting updated.

- GeorgeG

Sarbian,

Thanks for the earlier reply. I do have another mod acting ugly. Stripping it down to just 5 mods cleared it out to where I can start playing Sherlock.

Now, I've seen something you might want to see (or not...:confused: )...

[ERR 21:06:52.118] MechJeb module MechJebModuleTargetController threw an exception in OnFixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.CelestialBodyExtensions.TerrainAltitude (.CelestialBody body, Double latitude, Double longitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.PositionTarget.Update (.CelestialBody body, Double latitude, Double longitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I added back the HullCam mod, and was watching through the cam view just after the stage dropped off. When the view shifted back to the lander, MJ started filling the log file up with 5.6MB of non-stop repeated instances of this.

FWIW, the game did not crash per se, but I had to cycle through map view and onto another lander to get control of the camera angle.

[Transfered copy of post from wrong thread. Sorry...]