[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

r4m0n updated Jenkins, so you can go use it again for dev versions.

@sarbian when you integrate the optional Mechjeb modules for toolbar can you add a button for custom windows?

I was working on it yesterday when the patch came. I'd like to do something a bit less messy than my optional module code, so it may take a few days.

Thanks Sarbian! I'm curious, what changed in KSP to break MJ? (I have a ton of mods, and I'd like to be able to guess which ones are likely also broken by the update and which ones are probably fine)

They added a new function to the Targetable interface so MJ had to implement it. The code change is HERE if you want to see it, the last one since the other are just cleanup to remove compile warnings.

The ModuleEnginesFX mentionned by yongedevil were added in .23 and are long supported.

BARCLONE : the update to Unity has a great impact to the frame rate, and I m sure the devs added some optimization too :)

Edited by sarbian

#195 Fixed something else related to RPM.

#196 is modified to compile with 0.23.5 but r4m0n will have to update Jenkins for it to compile.

So meanwhile get it here : www.sarbian.com/sarbian/MechJeb2.dll

I noticed a bug when using SLS parts. The DeltaV display seems to not see anything above SLS parts. All report as 0 DV even though they fly and display fine after staging.

Also one more request. Could the warp helper be made to work in the tracking station now that it has time acceleration?

They added a new function to the Targetable interface so MJ had to implement it. The code change is HERE if you want to see it, the last one since the other are just cleanup to remove compile warnings.

I tried out the DLL you released prior to the Jenkins build (I haven't had a chance to get the Jenkins build). MJ doesn't understand the new "Target CoM" feature on an asteroid. The rendezvous planner indicates no target, and SmartASS hides the target menu. It's not a big deal, since you're practically on top of the rock anyway, and you can manually drive that last little bit. But I figured I'd throw it out there.

If MJ was a "global" addon then it would make the code messier to control multiple ship.

MOARdV : ok, I ll try to look into that too. If someone can post an un-modded save with a ship near an asteroid it would save me a lot of time.

Trying to get to jool. I target it, then set the marker through the maneuver planner, but it's WAAAAAYYY off. It sends the ship to the right orbit but at a time when the planet is not there. Is this a .23.5 compatibility problem? And if so, is there a fix? I downloaded the new .dll in order to get it to work in the first place, because before that the menu didn't show up on the side of the screen when i put the pod on a ship.

UPDATE - Jenkins build might have fixed...

it fixed it but now hohmann transfer won't work...i'm around tylo, wanna get to vall...now nothing is working saying "it needs to be in same sphere of influence."

Edited by Mykill Metal

This has probably already been reported but I couldn't see anything. The Auto-Staging toggle in Utilities keeps switching itself back off when a ship is loaded in, even ones that have been set to on. Don;t know if this is because I don't have access to the Ascent manager or not. No biggie tbh but probably just as easy to fix lol. Thanks for all your hard work on this mod, for people like me it's really appreciated.

I tried out build 198 but everytime when it goes into timewarp for executing a maneuver node it snaps out of timewarp and the ship is unable to move. And after a few seconds the ship blows up.

Edit: It wasn't Mj, it was kerbal alarm clock. I installed them at the same time so didn't think about it being responsible.

Edited by Lekke

it fixed it but now hohmann transfer won't work...i'm around tylo, wanna get to vall...now nothing is working saying "it needs to be in same sphere of influence."

It's been a while since I've used MechJeb, but I think that's the correct message. If you're orbiting Tylo, then it would be correct to say that Vall is not the same sphere of influence. Think about it. How would a Hohmann transfer get you from one moon to another? You'd have to leave the sphere of influence of Tylo, enter Jool's, then leave Jool's and enter Vall's. That's not a Hohmann transfer.

Leave Tylo's influence (i.e. enter orbit around Jool) and then try a Hohmann transfer to the same orbit as Vall.

I tried out build 198 but everytime when it goes into timewarp for executing a maneuver node it snaps out of timewarp and the ship is unable to move. And after a few seconds the ship blows up.

[carefully uninstalls build 198]

I'm getting some errors with MJ on 0.23.5. The deltaV window stops updating and the log has this:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Part,MuMech.FuelNode].Add (.Part key, MuMech.FuelNode value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[Part,Part,FuelNode] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[Part,Part,FuelNode] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Boolean dVLinearThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.TryStartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RequestUpdate (System.Object controller) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.StageDeltaVAtmosphereAndVac () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.ValueInfoItem.GetValue () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Yes,same for me. Cleared out the previous version, installed v198 to the GameData folder. The part appears in the VAB but attaching it doesn't bring up the menu.

It would be nice to get an additional module dedicaced to asteroid interception in future updates.

i totaly agree with this otherwise im afraid there will be no asteroid redirecting for me :(

i totaly agree with this otherwise im afraid there will be no asteroid redirecting for me :(

Same thing for me, I'm currently trying to do one without additional modules but I never achieve to do so; and I'm getting somewhat bored(and raging everytime something get wrong for some details I forgot).

Anyone know how to make a rendez-vous with an asteroid without additional module?

Same thing for me, I'm currently trying to do one without additional modules but I never achieve to do so; and I'm getting somewhat bored(and raging everytime something get wrong for some details I forgot).

Anyone know how to make a rendez-vous with an asteroid without additional module?

You can use parts of MJ to rendez-vous with asteroids. Like matching planes. Once that is done you have to fiddle with the maneuver nodes to get an intercept and when you have it MJ can burn it (about a 10km max

incounter). If you can get that part out of the way you can use MJ rendez-vous planner to get closer and match speed. Maneuver nodes are a bit better now, you can make minute ajustments when you scroll on those markers and you can add or detract extra orbits too. But MJ is mostly useless to fly an asteroid once you got it, especially the big ones. I did a class C and every time I did a new maneuver I had to redock to it so the center of mass was inline with the node. Hope this helps.

The same way you intercept anything else in space. Existing rendezvous works fine. Intercept <at time X> after <burn time> works just fine too. (there's an actual MJ2 function named Intercept that has those parameters)

Seriously, no extra Mechjeb functionality is required to intercept asteroids.

Come to think of it, the docking module probably will work too. Control from the grapple hook. Mechjeb will ***** that you aren't controlling from a docking port. It will also ***** that you aren't targeting a docking port. But while it's doing its *****ing and grumbling, it's still trying to dock with the thing you told it to dock with. Make sure you have enough forward velocity while it's lined up and moving forward and... BOOM! Captured asteroid.

Oops I can't say the word that rhymes with 'itching'. So uh... Mechjeb will 'itch'. Because it's allergic to non-docking ports I guess. Or something.

Edited by Starwaster

is there a way to move the root window? it overlaps the resources pane and drives my ocd nuts.

Use the toolbar plugin.

Then there won't be a Mechjeb window unless you open it from the toolbar which is totally movable and customizable. You'll need the toolbar plugin itself plus you'll have to grab the Mechjeb toolbar extension from Sarbian's signature.