[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Rocket does not launch at Interplanetary Window.

MJ Version: 2.5.1.0-462

Kerbal Version: 1.0.2.842

Fresh Install, Mechjeb is the only mod installed.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Select "Launch" from the VAB

2) Target Eve.

3) Make sure that time-accel is set to auto.

4) Set ascent guidance to "Launch at Interplanetary Window,"

5) Engage the Autopilot.

Noted Result:

As soon as the autopilot is engaged, a noise is heard like the engines are being activated, although they already should be. At launch time, there is no power left in the rocket to launch, even though it hasn't gone anywhere.

Expected Result:

As the rocket is on the ground and not moving, power should still be "External" and not consume battery power until launch.

Notes:

Output_Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qigrdtu8w6ona4/output_log.txt?dl=0

Persistent.sfs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h90zyec8qxe0g3k/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxhhhys2z0gi84u/Probe%20Lander.craft?dl=0

(Sorry if this is more information than you need)

This might -not- be a bug if the premise is that electricity is consumed as soon as you're resting on the pad. If that's the case there's other strangeness that happens. (as I can make another save that's after launching instantly and waiting in orbit--something similar happens there)

Thanks for your time!

Edited by slaintemaith

I did not, however there's an issue with that: If I use the launch clamp, as soon as I hit "Engage Autopilot" I can hear the clamps open (I'm in the map window usually when I engage the AP) and once I'm back at the rocket view, the clamps are -gone- and the rocket is hovering off the ground with nothing there.

Mayhem occurs at launch.

I did not, however there's an issue with that: If I use the launch clamp, as soon as I hit "Engage Autopilot" I can hear the clamps open (I'm in the map window usually when I engage the AP) and once I'm back at the rocket view, the clamps are -gone- and the rocket is hovering off the ground with nothing there.

Mayhem occurs at launch.

Sounds like the 'clamps disappearing on launch' bug that I've seen before with MJ ascent AP, haven't seen it in a long time though and definetly not recent builds. I'll take a look at that craft. I do have KJR and one thing that I've noticed is that with large ships that go all wobbly when coming out of timewarp and with KJR, MJ seems to panic and slam the launch button.

Edited by smjjames

Sounds like the 'clamps disappearing on launch' bug that I've seen before with MJ ascent AP, haven't seen it in a long time though and definetly not recent builds.

D'oh! I didn't know it was a duplicate bug =)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'll also write up the other bug I'm having with my workaround. =) Thanks again for your time.

D'oh! I didn't know it was a duplicate bug =)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'll also write up the other bug I'm having with my workaround. =) Thanks again for your time.

Not so much a duplicate than an old one which was supposedly fixed.

Edit: I tried it on my moderately heavily modded save and while the clamps didn't disappear, they did prematurely release on exit from timewarp and MJ waited a few seconds before actually launching. Going to test on a cleaner save though, plus KJR may affect it.

Edit2: Reproduced on a cleaner save (with dev build 462). If you have autostage off when you start the warp, it doesn't happen, which is the same behavior that I've seen before.

Edit3: With KJR, I'm seeing the behavior variant that I saw.

Edited by smjjames

Time Acceleration does not auto-start after programming Launch Window.

Steps to reproduce:

2) Set Ascent Autopilot to 1000km

3) Engage Autopilot. *Note that ship automatically launches without use of the spacebar for an untimed launch. This may or may not be buggish.

4) Observe rocket as it reaches it's 1000x1000 orbit.

5) Select -either- advanced or 'old' planetary transfer programs.

6) Select "Eve" in map Window

7) Select Next Window to transfer to Eve.

8) Commit and execute the burn through the Mechjeb interface.

Observed Result:

Launch window and delta-V information will be displayed by the nav-ball per usual upon execution. The rocket will orient itself to the proper burn attitude. Then nothing. Time does not accel. If you manually accel time to the displayed burn time the burn will not occur.

Expected Result:

Time should accelerate until a reasonable amount of time before the burn, and the burn should automatically occur.

Notes:

Output_Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/plx1ctxjmgkdhhk/output_log.txt?dl=0

Persistent.sfs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zl7887wm49z8ij4/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bj1oqgxkf66qptc/Auto-Saved%20Ship.craft?dl=0

Comments:

I'm not -sure- this is even a Mechjeb bug, but possibly something with the stock Kerbal parts. (specifically relating to the OKT02 unit) I've noticed that they've changed and broken some parts, and added and broken some parts. The "Medium Landing Gear" does not have the option for nosewheel steering, even though the small does and the documentation says it should =)

Thanks for your time!

Edited by slaintemaith

3) Engage Autopilot. *Note that ship automatically launches without use of the spacebar for an untimed launch. This may or may not be buggish.

It definetly shouldn't be launching without spacebar for an untimed launch. I tried it with KJR and it didn't do that (odd how KJR is affecting MJ), but without, it did. Also, you really don't need to do a 1000km orbit, just do like 200km, saves fuel.

6) Select "Next Window"

7) Commit and execute the burn through the Mechjeb interface.

Transfer to where though? Helps with reproducibility to have a specific destination.

Edited by smjjames

Edit2: Reproduced on a cleaner save (with dev build 462). If you have autostage off when you start the warp, it doesn't happen, which is the same behavior that I've seen before.

Alrighty! I'll try again with autostage off as a workaround. =)

- - - Updated - - -

Transfer to where though? Helps with reproducibility to have a specific destination.

Ooops! I edited the above post. Sorry I skipped a step!

Eve is still where I'm trying to go.

With a completely redesigned ship, I was able to get to Eve with the autostaging turned off. (With the previously posted ship, I was still unable)

I won't presume to guess what's wrong, as I'm a tester and not a programmer by nature, but it can't be entirely Mechjeb if, under the same circumstances, a ship will fail to make an automated burn while a different one (with similar design specifications) will succeed.

When I tried to test the second example (and I did reproduce it), I noticed that it didn't have good SAS and thought maybe that was it and tried it with an SAS and the problem still happens.

Welp. Made it to Eve! As I had gotten through the nasty part of reentry (only lost one sciencey-bit!) and had my chutes open and was making my long, slow descent...

The game crashed to desktop.

*Sigh*

There was more of the same not wanting to burn/no time accel issues on my circ burn, but as I wanted to -play- and not -test- I forwent it and did a slow, manual aerobrake to land.

I'm thinking the same bug report I wrote up earlier will cover this, but if anyone wants me to write it up (I suspect after the crash, I'll be on an escape traj. out of Eve--depending on my last autosave) I most certainly will.

I am using the 462 dev build and experiencing the issue where mj will not time accelerate and flies past the maneuver node without engaging.

I was in a mun orbit and was trying to make a deceleration burn and went around 4 times just to be sure it was malfunctioning. I had to manually make the burn. The behavior is odd - It turns to the maneuver node as the first step as always, but then does not acc, or make the burn. I find that when this happens and I manually complete the maneuver the next time I use the maneuver planner it works. I even deleted the node and recreated it and it seems once mj refuses to engage nothing will change its mind. I finally had to do the burn manually. After that the next time I used MJ for a maneuver it worked.

If I switch ships the first time I go to execute a maneuver it malfunctions again. It's like the first time you engage the manuever planner from a new vessel it malfunctions then on the next attempt it works??? It's very puzzling.

Edited by ctbram

There was more of the same not wanting to burn/no time accel issues on my circ burn, but as I wanted to -play- and not -test- I forwent it and did a slow, manual aerobrake to land.

I had an issue with a braking burn to land on the mun (career mode before unlocking mechjeb's landing guidance). Created the node and did <something> and the maneuver node wound up with 0 dv instead of 500-ish (in the bar next to the navball) and the lander went straight through the node. Bit annoying because it was a rescue mission and Jeb was gonna die if the sun went down on him and he ran out of electricity, but managed to get it on the next pass and all was well. I don't recall what the exact sequence was between setting up the maneuver node and having it get corrupted somehow. I thought it smelled more like a bug in the base maneuver node system and not in mechjeb though.

Exactly. I'm not sure it's MJ either. The latest versions of Kerbal, although there's little that I can point to saying it's wrong, I'm still uneasy about it. It doesn't ring right.

Edited by slaintemaith

I am using the 462 dev build and experiencing the issue where mj will not time accelerate and flies past the maneuver node without engaging.

I was in a mun orbit and was trying to make a deceleration burn and went around 4 times just to be sure it was malfunctioning. I had to manually make the burn. The behavior is odd - It turns to the maneuver node as the first step as always, but then does not acc, or make the burn. I find that when this happens and I manually complete the maneuver the next time I use the maneuver planner it works. I even deleted the node and recreated it and it seems once mj refuses to engage nothing will change its mind. I finally had to do the burn manually. After that the next time I used MJ for a maneuver it worked.

If I switch ships the first time I go to execute a maneuver it malfunctions again. It's like the first time you engage the manuever planner from a new vessel it malfunctions then on the next attempt it works??? It's very puzzling.

This is pretty much the same issue I have been having. No time acceleration and it does not perform the burn.

And this one too...

Time Acceleration does not auto-start after programming Launch Window.

Steps to reproduce:

2) Set Ascent Autopilot to 1000km

4) Observe rocket as it reaches it's 1000x1000 orbit.

6) Select "Eve" in map Window

7) Select Next Window to transfer to Eve.

8) Commit and execute the burn through the Mechjeb interface.

Observed Result:

Launch window and delta-V information will be displayed by the nav-ball per usual upon execution. The rocket will orient itself to the proper burn attitude. Then nothing. Time does not accel. If you manually accel time to the displayed burn time the burn will not occur.

Expected Result:

Time should accelerate until a reasonable amount of time before the burn, and the burn should automatically occur.

Notes:

Output_Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/plx1ctxjmgkdhhk/output_log.txt?dl=0

Persistent.sfs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zl7887wm49z8ij4/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bj1oqgxkf66qptc/Auto-Saved%20Ship.craft?dl=0

Comments:

I'm not -sure- this is even a Mechjeb bug, but possibly something with the stock Kerbal parts. (specifically relating to the OKT02 unit) I've noticed that they've changed and broken some parts, and added and broken some parts. The "Medium Landing Gear" does not have the option for nosewheel steering, even though the small does and the documentation says it should =)

Thanks for your time!

Edited by AgentMOO

Ok, my turn for a bug report:-(

I installed Mechjeb 2.5.1 on a clean install. Everything was installed fresh.

This is running on Linux, 64 bit.

First problem: I have gotten to the point where the Ascent Guidance is available. So I have a mission to recover something from orbit. I get on the launch pad, go to the orbit view and make the object my target.

In normal time mode, the option to launch to intercept isn't there. What's really weird is that when i go into time acceleration mode, it suddenly shows up, although with a 0 in the entry field. When I slow time back down to normal, it goes away.

Second problem (this may not be a problem): I set everything up and hit "Engage autopilot", and the engines immediately turn on and it takes off. I'm used to it waiting until I hit the space bar to initiate the launch.

Third problem, and this is a doozy: It seems to totally ignore the ascent profile, and starts leaning over starting around 500 meters or so. I tried editing the ascent path, no change. In Automatic Altitude turn, the Turn start altitude is 8.4 km. In manual mode, I set the turn start altitude to 8 km. Didn't seem to make any difference

The rocket consists of a main stage from the NovaPunch mod, and two boosters from SpaceY

I'll be trying the same thing on Windows later this evening, I'll update this or post another message with the results of that using the same setup.

Edit: Restarting the same solved the problem with the ascent guidance launching to a rendevuez, but the leaning still starts at 500m

I'm running nuFAR and DRE, if that makes any difference.

Edit 2: Same issue on Windows, it starts the turn at 500meters altitude

On both Linux and Windows, it seems to want to get to 45 degrees ascent as quickly as possible.

Edit 3: I was going for a 90 km orbit, not sure if this helps.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Logs, people, logs. If you are reporting a bug without including output_log.txt (Windows) or Player.log (Mac/Linux), you're not giving the necessary information to diagnose the problem. It's like taking your car to a mechanic and not letting them look under the hood.

Logs, people, logs. If you are reporting a bug without including output_log.txt (Windows) or Player.log (Mac/Linux), you're not giving the necessary information to diagnose the problem. It's like taking your car to a mechanic and not letting them look under the hood.

...But I did add the logs!

Ok, my turn for a bug report:-(

I installed Mechjeb 2.5.1 on a clean install. Everything was installed fresh.

Install the latest dev build.

This is running on Linux, 64 bit.

First problem: I have gotten to the point where the Ascent Guidance is available. So I have a mission to recover something from orbit. I get on the launch pad, go to the orbit view and make the object my target.

In normal time mode, the option to launch to intercept isn't there. What's really weird is that when i go into time acceleration mode, it suddenly shows up, although with a 0 in the entry field. When I slow time back down to normal, it goes away.

Was this your first launch using ascent guidance with that craft? Remember you have to launch once to the target altitude (fully, circularize and everything) then revert and then launch to rendezvous. Otherwise MJ has no idea when to launch.

Third problem, and this is a doozy: It seems to totally ignore the ascent profile, and starts leaning over starting around 500 meters or so. I tried editing the ascent path, no change. In Automatic Altitude turn, the Turn start altitude is 8.4 km. In manual mode, I set the turn start altitude to 8 km. Didn't seem to make any difference

Did you change the turn start speed? Otherwise it is turning when it reaches the set speed and that is well before your set altitude. It turns on the first condition it reaches, altitude or speed. 8km is pretty late to be turning in the new aero and it's probably set that way for auto only as a safeguard since you should hit a proper turn speed well before that. The proper time to start a turn is dependent mostly on TWR so speed is a better generic indicator of when to turn than altitude for unknown craft.

Was this your first launch using ascent guidance with that craft? Remember you have to launch once to the target altitude (fully, circularize and everything) then revert and then launch to rendezvous. Otherwise MJ has no idea when to launch.

Wow? Really? I guess I should read the documentation some time. Mind you, it doesn't apply with my bugs, but still... =)

20 post in 6 hours by 4 posters ? You re kidding ?!?

AgentMOO : try the build from yesterday. it fix a problem for node with manually activated engines (which is your case in the video you posted)

slaintemaith : distant node (month) seems to be unstable in 1.0. Use the warp assistant to move closer to the node and the burn will go fine. I ll see what I can do (most likely warp without aligning if the node is in a long time)

other : Red Iron Crown post. Post log and screenshot. I am already quite tired of repeating the same thing over and over since 1.0 got out so if tomorrow is the same I'll leave the thread alone for while. It is not like I have no other mod to take care of.