[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Dev build 464, when I tried to match planes with Jool en-route to it, I started getting spammed with errors. However, this is with my modded game and my craft uses parts from lots of mods, so I'm going to see about replicating in a cleaner* save. It happened with both the descending and ascending node.

screenshot79_zpspuxvhtfg.png

Output log: http://sta.sh/021hct4pwrdx

*Well, I do have exception detector, hangar extender, GCmonitor, KJR, tempgaugekiller, module manager, and MJallcommand (mm config) on there.

Edit:

Okay, got it reproduced and the steps.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Get a similar orbit as in the screenshot (I already did this in the quicksave)

2. Do 'fine tune closest approach to target'. I used 200km, but the distance doesn't seem to matter as I tried setting it to 1000km.

3. Execute that maneuver.

4. Once that is done, do 'match planes with target' either ascending or descending node. Just hitting create node triggers it.

Step 2 is an important step because I checked and if I try matching planes to target before I fine tune closest approach, it doesn't spam errors. I'm going to see if it also happens with other orbits.

Quicksave: http://sta.sh/01c0gcgjc8if

Craft file: http://sta.sh/0ej6yk0mefm (I am using KJR, but it should be ok without. Also, I'm using an MM config to apply MJ to command pods, so I didn't put a MJ case on. In hindsight I should have.)

Output log while I was checking it out: http://sta.sh/01h8mikpn107

Orbits checked:

Hohmann transfer to Mun and Minmus: Doesn't trigger, does normal expected behavior.

Advanced transfers:

Moho: Long transfer (100+ days), doesn't trigger, normal expected behavior. Short transfer (~83d ) doesn't trigger.

Eve: long transfer (~224d ) doesn't trigger. Fast transfer (70d 1251 deltaV) Doesn't trigger.

Duna: Long transfer (~414d ) doesn't trigger. Fast transfer (~141d) bug triggers.

Dres: Long transfer (~1y 350d) doesn't trigger. Fast transfer (~254d) doesn't trigger.

Jool: Long transfer (~3y 366d, similar orbit as in screenshot above) doesn't trigger. Fast transfer (~1y 18d) doesn't trigger.

Eeloo: Long transfer (~6y 372d) doesn't trigger. Fast transfer (~1y 309d) doesn't trigger.

Seems to only happen under certain circumstances, and even then, it's pretty rare.

Edited by smjjames

Anybody know where the configuration exists for the custom windows? I hate constantly having to redo my windows when I update KSP or mechjeb... I'd like to just copy a config file over.

In your mechjeb plugins folder.

I've run into another and rather serious bug with the warp helper during testing of that bug in my last post. When I use warp helper while in an approx 1k km orbit around kerbin and I abort it while it's at highest warp, it severely disrupts the crafts orbit. Letting it drop out of warp slowly works fine. I also tested it without KJR in case it was doing something wierd, but it happens without KJR.

Edit: Build 464

Quicksave that I've been using during that investigation: http://sta.sh/01z9jfmpmv1y

Craft file: http://sta.sh/0ej6yk0mefm (been using the same one as posted above)

Output log: http://sta.sh/021elub4zen7

Steps:

1. Go to an orbit of around 1000 km at Kerbin. (the quicksave has the craft with the second stage already in orbit, but I checked and it doesn't matter whether you still have that stage or not)

2. Use warp helper to warp for 100 days

3. Abort warp helper while at max warp.

Edited by smjjames

I've been noticing over the last few days with different builds as well, that the auto burn does not seem to be splitting at the burn node. It tends to be a bit late and the longer the node the more off it gets.

Also, would it be possible to take into account if there is not enough dV in the current stage, what the TWR of the next stage is? Because often the next stage is a smaller engine needing a longer burn which means the burn needs to start sooner then if the current stage could do the whole burn. The game and KER both also base burn time on the current stage only even when the burn will have to go into the next stage. Often the case when circularing an orbit right after launch.

I've been noticing over the last few days with different builds as well, that the auto burn does not seem to be splitting at the burn node.

What build version are you using that does it wrong. And did you have a version that did it right (or better)?

The build I have right now is 464. I've noticed this a few times with different builds over the last few days. I hadn't really looked at it that close in the past. I don't get to play as much as I'd like. But for an example, a burn of ~1 minute should start at -30secs but doesn't start until around -15 to -20 seconds. Burns that are 10-20 seconds seem to be late by 2-3 seconds. I have KER up showing split burn start time at the same time and for every burn, it goes positive before the burn starts. Not a big deal for short burns, But I did have a minute burn go wonky partly because of a late burn and partly because the starting stage only had about 1/3 the required dV left with the next stage being a smaller engine and lower TRW. Instead of getting a circular 80k orbit, it ended with ~100k by 67k.

Lost these options and I'm trying to bring modules to space station. Did I do something when I updated or is my science campaign research not high enough all of a sudden?

Merged into main MJ thread.

Lost these options and I'm trying to bring modules to space station. Did I do something when I updated or is my science campaign research not high enough all of a sudden?

I've seen this happen, though not necessarily with the same modules, under certain circumstances, mostly when the game crashes and doesn't exit normally. Completely removing the MechJeb2 folder and re-installing worked for me. I lost which windows were showing in the screen but those were easy enough to just click back to visible.

Cheers,

-BS

Gah, I checked other game modes. It appears to be a research issue... Super funny that it has been taken away until I research more: / Guess I'm going to be practicing my rendezvous and docking skills for the time being : p

thanks anyways.

When he made MechJeb for 0.25 it worked just as it should. Don't know why for some reason he changed it up for 1.0 and 1.0.2. Now nothing on assent or landing is as good as it was for 0.25. More work to be done I guess. Should stick to what already works like it does in 0.25.

When he made MechJeb for 0.25 it worked just as it should. Don't know why for some reason he changed it up for 1.0 and 1.0.2. Now nothing on assent or landing is as good as it was for 0.25. More work to be done I guess. Should stick to what already works like it does in 0.25.

Are you using the latest devbuild and have you read the last 10 pages or so? Within which there was quite a bit of discussion on the ascent AP.

Edited by smjjames

Considering the major changes the game went through going from .25 to 1.0.2, do you really believe the problem is that "for some reason he changed it"? The new atmospherics alone are a major change in how the game works. It's going to take some time to iron out all the little issues it has caused in mechjeb. What "works like it does" in .25 won't work in 1.0.2. Bitching doesn't help.

Edited by sojourner

Yep, clearly the problem is on my side. Nothing to do with the fact that the game has changed its whole aerodynamic model and people are too lazy to even try to understand why there are changes ?

Edited by sarbian

Don't take it to heart sarbian, there's plenty of us that understand the amount of work that's been put into MJ and appreciate it immensely along with all the effort you're putting it to get things fixed.

Totally have to agree with terahurts... mechjeb is probably the only reason I kept playing... I found docking wayyyyy too hard and it totally solved it for me.. props bro

The scary thought is: Are they (Squad) going to keep mucking about with the atmospheres, or is this how it's going to be from here on out?

Stuff like this would make me think twice about working on ascent and (atmo) descent autopilots until things have settled. Even if a bunch of people weren't pointing the finger at me for 'breaking' something.

That said, -both- ascent and descent autopilots work just fine in the sense that (with some fiddling with settings and with good rocket design) you -will- get into space exactly where you want to be, and you will get safely back on the ground again.

Totally have to agree with terahurts... mechjeb is probably the only reason I kept playing... I found docking wayyyyy too hard and it totally solved it for me.. props bro

Amen and AMEN, brother! MJ2 is essential to KSP for me, specifically five functions: Delta-V (for building and execution), Maneuver Node Editor, Rendezvous Planner, SMART A.S.S. (for handling the nit-noid details), Auto-Docking. Once I discovered SMART A.S.S. (TGT)(-PAR), even Auto-Docking became less important.

Edited by Apollo13

Hey Sarbian, sorry to bother you again, but I still haven't made it work.

Care to help me out?

My main goal is to have the assist options and such, but not the actual auto pilot. For example, having the guidance stuff but having to do it myself.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
}
blacklist = MechJebModuleLandingAutopilot MechJebModuleAscentAutopilot MechJebModuleDockingAutopilot MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilot MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow MechJebModuleSpaceplaneAutopilot MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment
}
}

At first I tried without the 'MechjebLocalSettings', I'm guessing if that's not mentioned than there aren't any tech restrictions, correct?

Made sure these where actually patching to the command modules, checking the log and MM cache. Still bared no semblance of MJ at all. Should I try checking each of the blacklists one by one?

For some reason, as of today when I got into KSP, I tried to make Mechjeb execute a node, through the maneuver planner, and the rightly as it should, it pointed the craft towards the node, but never engaged warp, nor activated the engine when I brought it without burn time personally. Why could this happening?

For some reason, as of today when I got into KSP, I tried to make Mechjeb execute a node, through the maneuver planner, and the rightly as it should, it pointed the craft towards the node, but never engaged warp, nor activated the engine when I brought it without burn time personally. Why could this happening?

Engine staged or activated?

@Sokar

It is has been my experience that mechjeb is very very finicky about pointing at the node. It may seem like it is doing nothing, but if you have a slow turning vessel, it is most likely still turning EXACTLY at the node before it will timewarp, which can take quite some time past the point where you think it should acceptable.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Engine staged or activated?

Engine is activated but throttle is all the way down

@Sokar

It is has been my experience that mechjeb is very very finicky about pointing at the node. It may seem like it is doing nothing, but if you have a slow turning vessel, it is most likely still turning EXACTLY at the node before it will timewarp, which can take quite some time past the point where you think it should acceptable.

This craft is has more then sufficient maneuver speed. The thing is, since I last wrote, I successfully had MJ perform maneuvers with another, but identical craft with no issues. Now again with this craft, it moves to the maneuver node, then just sits there forever.

Engine is activated but throttle is all the way down

This craft is has more then sufficient maneuver speed. The thing is, since I last wrote, I successfully had MJ perform maneuvers with another, but identical craft with no issues. Now again with this craft, it moves to the maneuver node, then just sits there forever.

Time to check the log, you're probably getting errors. If it's only reproduceable with that craft in that save file then save the save file and logs. Sarbian might want to see them.