[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

And speaking of TCA, do you have any plans to integrate something like hover control into your mod? TCA is so bloated with unnecessary functionality, and yet for a simple VTOL plane with AA + TCA, well, surprisingly not-easy to control.

I noticed you added a coordinated turn feature and it is awesome...

7 minutes ago, Morse said:

And speaking of TCA, do you have any plans to integrate something like hover control into your mod? TCA is so bloated with unnecessary functionality, and yet for a simple VTOL plane with AA + TCA, well, surprisingly not-easy to control.

Try turning off moderation if using a VTOL, but since AA isn't designed for hovering then you might have a mixed bag of results.

1 minute ago, martinezfg11 said:

but since AA isn't designed for hovering then you might have a mixed bag of results.

Yes, that's the problem, AA can't help me with vertical take-off, and TCA can't help me with winged flight. And also TCA's GUI is atrocious, but that's another story. I wonder how hard it'll be to tear off the basic engine balancing from TCA...

1 minute ago, Morse said:

also TCA's GUI is atrocious

As well as any other control mod's one. Flying is complex task, asking for complex solutions, wich in their turn need to have complex GUIs. Would you open all AA's controller's GUIs you would see that it's all the same russian mess.

4 minutes ago, Morse said:

I wonder how hard it'll be to tear off the basic engine balancing from TCA...

TCA does a bit more than simple balancing, it also transforms your control signal (pitch, roll, yaw etc) to differential thrust limits to provide torque only by engines means. It's obviously not impossible and not really hard (though it is surely time-consuming to implement), but I lack aesthetical passion to engine-powered hover, and, more importantly, i'll need 3-4 months to develop proper AoA controllers and director and it is what I find most important atm, because that would make my job here finally done.

I would suggest to get familiar with hotkeys. Y for TCA afaik, and P for AA should make switching between them an easy task. Let those mods do their special job they're competent in. Filling AA with stuff like this imho will make it "bloated with unnecessary functionality" you mentioned earlier while describing TCA.

Your feature request dodging skill increased.

8 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Would you open all AA's controller's GUIs you would see that it's all the same russian mess.

Well, it don't have to. Yes, there are lots of numbers and inputs, and I have no idea what they do. But luckily, I can control the craft without knowing all the details.

But speaking of GUIs, would you be interested in some alternative light-weight GUI with just the essentials that would be easily accessible? Three buttons for profile, one input for speed control and one for altitude, all in one small window. I could do that... Eventually.

36 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

TCA does a bit more than simple balancing, it also transforms your control signal (pitch, roll, yaw etc) to differential thrust limits to provide torque only by engines means.

Yes, it certainly does more than just balance. It takes my control signal and happily ignores it, like it has a better idea of what I want to do. I guess there is a button safely hidden beneath all that GUI mess that switches TCA from autopilot to assist, but I failed to find it.

Having a major game breaking glitch, whenever I have this mod on I can't revert flights, return to the space center, or anything at all on the menu other than the settings. I click on Revert to Flight and Return to Space Center, their icons show that they have been pressed (clicked), but nothing happens and I start getting repeated errors in the console with something to do with Vector3D, any ideas?

That was really fun scrolling through on mobile, jus sayin.
There was a bug that wouldn't let menu to do anything and it's been fixed. However, now sometimes it would bring up that meny again after you've reverted to launch, resuming the game does the job. Just one more click, really, but sometimes annoying.

Ummm... maybe I'm just missing something, but I installed it the usual way by plopping the contents of the unzipped folder into the gamedata file, and... nothing... it's as if I didn't even have it installed... doesn't even seem to be any references to it in the log... Any ideas?

PS: if you want the log anyways, just let me know... I just kind of have the feeling that I forgot something obvious

I'm using Windows 64 bit 1.1.1250    I was indeed using the wrong version of AA. My bad.

I'm learning the ins and outs of the fly-by-wire, it's looking awesome!

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Derp

8 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

if you want the log anyways

Yes please. If anyone has problems in 1.1.1, let me know. I don't have access to the game right now, so if AA needs a recompile, I'll need to arrange some stuff quickly.

upd: you are most probably using AA 1.5 wich is old and incompatible with 1.1 KSP. I have no problem running 1.5.2 AA on 1.1.1 build.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

This mod is amazing! I'd been looking for something to do this stuff for a long time, and was even about to start work on a fudged kOS script (by switching control back in forth between the player and the script every 0.1s) in a way that would probably have failed horribly! Then I came across this and it is working perfectly! I no longer have to worry about overstressing my STOL cargo plane. :) This is some great work!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MisterFister said:

Is there any thought to posting this mod on Spacedock?  Also, is v1.5.3 of this mod compatible with KSP v1.1.2?

Some guy's comment on Curse is stating that it is working under 1.1.2, so only ModuleManager needs to be updated. CKAN, afaik, is already bound to AA's github and updates automatically, it just doesn't know precisely what version of KSP it is expected to work with.

I switched to Curse when Kerbulstuff dieded, it still feels more reliable. But if you need it there, I can upload it, it's an easy thing to do.

upd: pushed it so spacedock too.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

7 hours ago, MisterFister said:

@Boris-Barboris, this looks like an awesome mod.  I wandered into it through CKAN.  Is there any thought to posting this mod on Spacedock?  Also, is v1.5.3 of this mod compatible with KSP v1.1.2?

The mod is indeed compatible with 1.1.2. As for CKAN, the current version (1.5.3) appears to be compatible only until 1.1.1. Just download from GitHub to get it on :D

Spoiler

This mod is the dog's krakens. Want stability for any monstruosity you want to fly? Look no further.

6 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

upd: pushed it so spacedock too.

1 hour ago, DownHereInChile said:

The mod is indeed compatible with 1.1.2. As for CKAN, the current version (1.5.3) appears to be compatible only until 1.1.1. Just download from GitHub to get it on :D

Awesome, @Boris-Barboris, thanks!  For the record, I only asked out of curiosity because I'm consolidating a LOT of notes on mods that I have info on from back in KSP v1.0.4 days when I was running huge modlists in Linux-64 (several different modlists across that version and v1.0.5).  Frankly, I'm surprised at the amount of automated detail I already have, owning largely but I suppose not exclusively to the fact that I was using CKAN so heavily at the time.

If you're curious in the longer version of the story, I can share (it's no secret, I just don't know how much you care) but the short version of why I asked here is because I'm trying to parse and convert the data that I have into spreadsheet form.  One piece of data that I have on like... 97% of more than 400 mods, I think... is forum thread.  Obviously, I found this forum thread on my own, but I've found that being on Spacedock allows for more auto-population of certain other types of metadata that can, if that metadata is correct, serve to reduce CKAN's burden on other mod-authors.  (For example, semantic KSP version updates where mods remain forward compatible, like yours being kosher for the next version... Github's metadata is less obvious to the automated crawlers working behind the scenes at CKAN for details like that, when compared to Spacedock.  To say nothing of Spacedock's ability for manual installers to subscribe for automated update emails.  :))

So thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.