PSA: Engine exhausts are deadly now

MalfunctionM1Ke

Looks like decoplers are redundant.

Holy cripes, they are, I just tested it out with 1.25m and 2.5m parts, and it seems like:

The explosions are near instant, and:

...They don't effect the upper part of the rocket, and:

It's VERY reliable.

Yes sirree, this will be a VERY useful trick to keep part counts down in early career mode. Explosive decoupling is no longer for the super-advanced (though I suspect 1.1 or a hotfix patch will change this, as really, it DOES kinda render 95% of decouplers totally useless)

Hmmm.... A "fire in the hole" staging with zero'd throttle blows up the decoupler and the fuel tank below it... Gonna see if this is a decoupler or engine related issue. BRB.

EDIT: Yep, clearly related to engine ignition. Staged it, and the spent stage hung out beneath the upper stage, as usual. Then, started the engine and things promptly exploded.

Huh. Hotfix incoming?

Edited by MaverickSawyer

only problem is you cant recover the spent stages for reusable programs.
Pro-tip: Use seperatrons to separate your stages. Also, your upper stage doesn't need to ignite as soon as you separate the lower stage; put it in its own stage.

It's not like you have to worry about ullage or losing efficiency from coasting in stock.

Pro-tip: Use seperatrons to separate your stages. Also, your upper stage doesn't need to ignite as soon as you separate the lower stage; put it in its own stage.

This is a good advice. It gives also much more realistic and better looking stagings if you keep about 1-2 second break between separation and ignition of next stage.

a̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶.̶0̶ ̶"̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶w̶e̶d̶"̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ this pretty much killed hotstaging

squad hates russian rockets i suppose..

edit: apparently i'm an idiot and that feature was removed

still the engine heat could use a nerf, an lv-30 can chew through several layers of heatshield instantly

Edited by igor_perusco

a̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶.̶0̶ ̶"̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶w̶e̶d̶"̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ this pretty much killed hotstaging

squad hates russian rockets i suppose..

edit: apparently i'm an idiot and that feature was removed

still the engine heat could use a nerf, an lv-30 can chew through several layers of heatshield instantly

Proton Rocket is USELESS now -.- i'm mostly happy about this little update (fuel flow fix for jetengines YAY), but this high engine exhaust heat is stupid and ridiculous. tried a hotstaging design with a heatshild ... did not work, nearly teh complete first stage was blown away ..

edit: an other thing i notcied after soem testrides on rockets and planes: using SAS is unstable, the craft tends to wiggle around the point of the SAS lock .... the more SAS and gimbal you havem the worse it becomes.

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Exhaust damage now falls off by the inverse square of the distance. So stuff very near the engine will be cut through, whereas far-away stuff will survive.

Hum, Nathan ... stuff that falls with the inverse square of the distance gets infinite when the distance is zero ;) Unless there is some detail that slipped by in this brief explanation of yours, that doesn't mean that every stage separation where the engine is activated at the same time than the decoupling will break stuff, since part distance is basically zero between the engine and the decoupler/docking port, no matter the exhaust damage the engine can actually do ?

Edited by r_rolo1

and Sepratrons are deadly now at zero distance :D

edit:

There must be something wrong. I did a quick testing of all LF rocket engines. All engines, even Rapier in closed cycle mode, destroy the decoupler and stages below. no matter if the thrust is scaled down or not (!). Only exceptions are the LV-1, LV-1R , Ion and the monoprop engine. All other jet engines not tested.

maybe r_rolo1 is right and a mistake sneaked into the math of the engineexhaust heat?

Edited by Darth Lazarus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.