[1.0.5][Dec 15, 2015] Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) 0.3: Air Flights, Tours, Coast Guard, STS

inigma

What should I name this pack? I need help deciding before 1.0 release.  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What should I name this contract pack?

• Aerospace Exploration and Rescue Operations
    • Giving Aircraft a Purpose
    • SSI Aerospace

8 hours ago, inigma said:

Can someone test this in the meantime with a craft that was previously affected? I was not able to duplicate the issue with multiple craft, so I think it may be a craft+KSP issue.

Works for the 2000m contract too, with a craft similar to the one I posted above and also previously not registering as 'landed'. Not sure what's up with my game/craft, but everything that had this issue now "lands" fine. :P

Whatever this is, it's consistent here, before patching the contract I landed that plane ~6 times, none of which satisfied the "landed" criteria.

For the moment a quick "sed -i 's/maxSpeed = 0.0/maxSpeed = 1.0/g' *.cfg" makes me happy.

Ed:
Nevermind, edit redacted, it's definitely a velocity thing.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Works for the 2000m contract too, with a craft similar to the one I posted above and also previously not registering as 'landed'. Not sure what's up with my game/craft, but everything that had this issue now "lands" fine. :P

Whatever this is, it's consistent here, before patching the contract I landed that plane ~6 times, none of which satisfied the "landed" criteria.

For the moment a quick "sed -i 's/maxSpeed = 0.0/maxSpeed = 1.0/g' *.cfg" makes me happy.

@nightingale I could not replicate any issues with 1.9.1. We're good here.

Bug report

Situation:

Accepting the mission "S.O.S Distress Call - S.S. Minow"
In the contract info it says that I should use the Minow to pick up the Kerbal floating in the water.

Problem:

Minow is spawned far away from the Kerbals (on land actually), I would say longitude -90° aprox.

Also, 3th Kerbal seems to be missing

Screenshots:

2015-12-09_00001iel6y.jpg 2015-12-09_00002dhlru.jpg 2015-12-09_00003hcbgi.jpg 2015-12-09_0000426x8c.jpg

Edited by DocMop

2 hours ago, DocMop said:

Bug report

Situation:

Accepting the mission "S.O.S Distress Call - S.S. Minow"
In the contract info it says that I should use the Minow to pick up the Kerbal floating in the water.

Problem:

Minow is spawned far away from the Kerbals (on land actually), I would say longitude -90° aprox.

Also, 3th Kerbal seems to be missing

Screenshots:

2015-12-09_00001iel6y.jpg 2015-12-09_00002dhlru.jpg 2015-12-09_00003hcbgi.jpg 2015-12-09_0000426x8c.jpg

Wow, that's some hurricane. ;)

Using the Minnow is not required - I'll have to remove that language from the contact as the bug it addresses no longer exists.

Don't load the ship. Use your own.

The ship is only a prop. You have to complete the mission by simply rescuing the Kerbals using your own craft. The Minnow is a disabled ship anyways.

Are you running any mods? 

The third Kerbal is Lt Dan Kerman of the Coast Guard. He is supposed to spawn in your own rescue craft.

Edited by inigma

1 hour ago, inigma said:

The third Kerbal is Lt Dan Kerman of the Coast Guard. He is supposed to spawn in your own rescue craft.

Just found that out, the first time I tried to rescue the guys the "would you like to add Dan to your ship" window instantly vanished so I couldn't see what it stated.

No Kerbin altering mods here. Mostly parts and plugin stuff (FAR and other little helpers).

Another "bug":

I recovered (clicked them while in KSC view) the rescue awaiting kerbals by accident.
Now I can not complete the contract. They are not in the crew roster so I can't cheat either.

Edited by DocMop

12 minutes ago, DocMop said:

Just found that out, the first time I tried to rescue the guys the "would you like to add Dan to your ship" window instantly vanished so I couldn't see what it stated.

Another "bug":

I recovered (clicked them while in KSC view) the rescue awaiting kerbals by accident.
Now I can not complete the contract. They are not in the crew roster so I can't cheat either.

Recovery from KSC view is not supported.  A known issue (which I should probably post on the OP). See https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/issues/343

For bouncy craft load the passengers from KSC view or SPH.

@nightingale I noticed if a craft bounces on launch from SPH that your load passengers window gets killed. Could you add a delay of a few seconds before performing the launch check?

Edited by inigma

9 minutes ago, inigma said:

Recovery from KSC view is not supported.  A known issue (which I should probably post on the OP).

For bouncy craft load the passengers from KSC view or SPH.

@nightingale I noticed if a craft bounces on launch from SPH that your load passengers window gets killed. Could you add a delay of a few seconds before performing the launch check?

I added a delay of 2.5 seconds (the vessel needs to be not landed for 2.5s before the window disappears).  Let me know if that's sufficient.

37 minutes ago, DocMop said:

No Kerbin altering mods here. Mostly parts and plugin stuff (FAR and other little helpers).

This only happens on craft that bounce due to the stock basic landing gear on the runway. I've raised https://github.com/inigmatus/GAP/issues/63 to test nightingale's fix in CC 1.9.1 dev above. Feel free to post me your craft file so I can test it too. I have my own craft that bounces, but would like yours to confirm the fix really works.

34 minutes ago, inigma said:

38 minutes ago, DocMop said:

Another "bug":

I've raised https://github.com/inigmatus/GAP/issues/7 to look at working around this in 0.3 so you and other plays won't have to.

About the bounce:

Unfortunately I "repaired" the bouncing issue on my craft. I'm pretty certain that it was caused by the following landing gear setup: 1x LY05 at the front, 2x LY-01 at the rear

9 minutes ago, DocMop said:

About the bounce:

Unfortunately I "repaired" the bouncing issue on my craft. I'm pretty certain that it was caused by the following landing gear setup: 1x LY05 at the front, 2x LY-01 at the rear

Be sure to report that to Squad too.

And another bug report:

After loosing one of my engines due to being a LITTLE too close to the water I managed to complete the trip, land and recover successfully. However, the contract doesn't register as being complete besides all the objectives completed.

2015-12-09_00006t6urr.jpg

Edit:
This was a bug with the contract window. Refreshing it helped.

Edited by DocMop

3 hours ago, DocMop said:

About the bounce:

Those landing gear are screwey, not only do they tend to hover slightly above the surface (causing bouncing), they also tend to spawn slightly below the surface, making craft leap into the air on loading. Stock bug as usual, and unlikely to be fixed before the 1.1 wheel overhaul.

I use the Kerbal Construction Time mod which makes it impossible to complete the first contract on time, as the build time for the craft even with all upgrades put into the SPH is at least several days, while the contract's deadline is a single day. I assume this is the same for the other contracts as well?

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

I use the Kerbal Construction Time mod which makes it impossible to complete the first contract on time, as the build time for the craft even with all upgrades put into the SPH is at least several days, while the contract's deadline is a single day. I assume this is the same for the other contracts as well?

I will remove the deadline requirement in 0.3. For now go ahead and modify the SSI-Start.cfg contract to have deadline = 0.

Edit: fixed for 0.3.

Edited by inigma

15 minutes ago, inigma said:

I will remove the deadline requirement in 0.3. For now go ahead and modify the SSI-Start.cfg contract to have deadline = 0.

Personally I tend to stay away from using the stock deadlines - I don't think they're very well communicated in terms of UI, and they often are so long (1 year) that they either don't matter, or force a player to have all their contracts done before warping to Duna.

If you do want to have a "timed" mission, you can always use the Timer parameter and set it up to start on launch (or when the player completes some other parameter as a trigger condition).

7 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Personally I tend to stay away from using the stock deadlines - I don't think they're very well communicated in terms of UI, and they often are so long (1 year) that they either don't matter, or force a player to have all their contracts done before warping to Duna.

If you do want to have a "timed" mission, you can always use the Timer parameter and set it up to start on launch (or when the player completes some other parameter as a trigger condition).

No worries. I really should keep in mind the use of CT mod. I'll use the timer when I need it. For now SSI-Start doesn't really need a deadline as my ultimate intent is to require a player to simply purchase the technology using the new negative funds enhancement slated for CC 1.10 and so be able to skip the mission to deliver Inigma Kerman to the conference with parts.

13 hours ago, nightingale said:

I added a delay of 2.5 seconds (the vessel needs to be not landed for 2.5s before the window disappears).  Let me know if that's sufficient.

Confirmed fixed.

Dev Update: working on a number of items: https://github.com/inigmatus/GAP/milestones/0.3

Looking forward to simplifying my existing contracts (requires another fine tooth code re-write) to make them easier for me and others to understand and make future correction. A bit of a project (one I had hoped I was done with in 0.2, but I guess not). Added a few more contracts, and having a blast testing the barnstorming one. Finished up a final version of the contract flow here: https://bubbl.us/?h=934b/5fc8d0/37aoS1/A8mNuU&r=185399272

I really hope to split out offering the free tech goodies from SSI - and require you to purchase them for a price, once CC 1.10 is released. Right now, nightingale is working on 1.9.1 to address a number of smaller issues with Contract Configurator, and added a few things that I will be including in GAP.

I will be adding a few more ideas on the DEVNOTES after 1.0 release. If you have other ideas not listed there that you'd like to see which could fit in with the theme of this contract pack, let me know!

Also the poll is at a dead even vote for GAP vs AERO, so vote if you haven't yet. Name won't change though until 1.0 release in the main Add-On Releases forum.

I hope to release 0.3 this weekend or early next week if I can manage it.

Edited by inigma

Any ideas as to why the S.O.S. SS Minnow contract won't go away? I've completed it 5 times now, and it pops right back into the available list - immediately. Even if I decline the contract, it's back right away.

Ive been hunting all over for why I was missing some flags. SSI Aerospace and KSC Airlines. I came across the issues section on GitHub and I see you have KSC Airlines needs a flag, Ok, so Im glad I didnt break anything. lol So, is SSI Aerospace in need of a flag as well or did I break that one somehow? I couldnt find anything mentioned anywhere about it but it could be that I am blind and missed it somehow. Thought I better mention it in case there is an unknown issue. I am going to assume for the moment that it isnt done yet since this is a WIP. Just completed the go to 2500 m contract. Worked as expected. BTW, thanks for all your effort. Im liking this so far. :)

27 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Any ideas as to why the S.O.S. SS Minnow contract won't go away? I've completed it 5 times now, and it pops right back into the available list - immediately. Even if I decline the contract, it's back right away.

For testing. Contract balances are not in yet. Also that contract is not yet randomized. Slated for 0.3.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Kyle said:

Ive been hunting all over for why I was missing some flags. SSI Aerospace and KSC Airlines. I came across the issues section on GitHub and I see you have KSC Airlines needs a flag, Ok, so Im glad I didnt break anything. lol So, is SSI Aerospace in need of a flag as well or did I break that one somehow? I couldnt find anything mentioned anywhere about it but it could be that I am blind and missed it somehow. Thought I better mention it in case there is an unknown issue. I am going to assume for the moment that it isnt done yet since this is a WIP. Just completed the go to 2500 m contract. Worked as expected. BTW, thanks for all your effort. Im liking this so far. :)

Check the GAP Assets folder to see if you have the ssi assets. Check the flag location in Agencies.cfg.if mismatch or missing asset, download missing asset from github. Might have been a corrupted download.  KSC Airlines will get a flag in 0.3. For now it uses SSI.

3 minutes ago, inigma said:

For testing. Contract balances are not in yet. Also that contract is not yet randomized. Slated for 0.3.

Cool, I'll try to contain my impatience re. next release. :P