Kerbfleet Canon Reference Files

Mister Dilsby

39 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I've also been thinking a bit about Lisa.  I want to try and do a full write-up on her later, time permitting.  In the meantime, I think Lisa gets a couple of CMOA's.  The obvious one is this great moment from Interlude 3 in D, OB!

Aww, Lisa! Thanks for posting and linking to those, one of my few regrets in Order Zero was not being able to spend as much time on her as I had in Duna, Ore Bust! I have some good ideas for her and Melbe working as a science team in Jool Odyssey; and your post made me think to have Lisa design the science modules for KSS [Redacted]. Hey, who better than someone who has conversations with the instruments?

Speaking of the [Redacted], the other interesting thing in following those links is the discussion about things like a pressurized bridge... and USI life support... and Jool... all of which is finally coming to pass :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Jeb gave a Mathmetician's answer when asked about the Kobra maneuver in DOB.

Aha! That's one of the few tropes pages I've never been too, thanks! Though on researching it I wonder if that was more of a What's a Henway? The Airplane "What is it?"--"That's not important right now" gag does appear as examples in both tropes, but I think that since the "What's a Henway?" involves a pun and the "Mathemetician" does not, I am leaning toward the former. What do you think, 'Squid? And thanks for the contribution :D 

1 minute ago, RocketSquid said:

Well, a henway tends to be a pun based on getting somebody to say a particular phrase by mistake. Examples include: "What's updog?", "What's snoo?", and the eponymous "What's a henway?". The mathmetician's answer may be better.

You're right--OK, looked a little further: there may be yet a third trope that fits even better, from the Airplane! page:

Ambiguous Syntax: What's that? It's a Running Gag that's derived from the confusion between inquiring about a problem with something and asking for its definition, but that's not important right now.

Randy: There's a little problem in the cockpit. 
Striker: The cockpit! What is it? 
Randy: It's a little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now.
  • There are a few other examples that don't use that specific gag, as well:
Old Lady: Nervous? 
Striker: Yes. 
Old Lady: First time? 
Striker: No, I've been nervous lots of times.

• 3 weeks later...
Fleet Air/KSMC US Navy/Starfleet USAF
Captin Kernel Captain Colonel
Comder Looty Kernel Commander Lt. Colonel
Looty Comder Majer Lt. Commander Major
Looty Kaptin Lieutenant Captain
Enzin 2nd Looty Ensign 2nd Lieutenant
  Sarjint Chief Petty Officer Sergeant

Not sure about the equivalent fleet rank for Sarjint.  Cheef maybe?

Had to rebuild the table from scratch.  Twice!

Happy landings!

14 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Not sure about the equivalent fleet rank for Sarjint.  Cheef maybe?

Hey, thanks so much for putting this together, and revising it!

Well, I dunno about the Cheef. I have to say I don't like that spelling, but I can't think of an alternate. Maybe it needs another e on the end? In any case, it's extremely likely we will never see a non-commissioned Fleet officer, so (much like with the KSS [REDACTED], whose 'real' name I've changed three times so far) I may delay that decision to give myself maximum flexibility :) 

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Well, I dunno about the Cheef. I have to say I don't like that spelling, but I can't think of an alternate. Maybe it needs another e on the end? In any case, it's extremely likely we will never see a non-commissioned Fleet officer, so (much like with the KSS [REDACTED], whose 'real' name I've changed three times so far) I may delay that decision to give myself maximum flexibility :) 

Hmmm.  Well, how about Cheese?  or Cheez?  or Cheze?

On another note, table handling appears to be seriously broken at some level with the new forum software.

Happy landings!

8 hours ago, Commander Zoom said:

How about Jeef?    also a nod to the Spanish version, "Jefe" (pron. "Heff-ey").

Seems kind of odd to pronounce, given that the other ranks have kerbalized spelling but are pronounced the same.

Edited by Sanic

9 hours ago, Commander Zoom said:

How about Jeef?    also a nod to the Spanish version, "Jefe" (pron. "Heff-ey").

I would have to name the Kerbal in question "Jeff", then, to keep up with Sarjint Sarge :) 

24 minutes ago, Sanic said:

Seems kind of odd to pronounce, given that the other ranks have kerbalized spelling but are pronounced the same.

True, except for Looty of course. OK, I'm thinking the best solution is to spell it Cheefe or Cheefy, but if I ever do introduce a senior Fleet NCO with that rank I'll make him Spanish-speaking and his rank will be given as "Jeffy" (same way Clauselle's is a "sous-leuti" rather than junior looty :D )

Edited by Kuzzter

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

I would have to name the Kerbal in question "Jeff", then, to keep up with Sarjint Sarge :) 

True, except for Looty of course. OK, I'm thinking the best solution is to spell it Cheefe, but if I ever do introduce a senior Fleet NCO with that rank, I'll make him Spanish-speaking and his rank will be given as "Jeffy" (same way Clauselle's rank is given as "sous-leuti" rather than junior looty :D )

Well, unless SQUAD gives us transporter tech in the next update, you probably won't have to worry about it.  :D

Happy landings!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Hey @Kuzzter! I don't know the definition of canon, so I made you a Kerbfleet Cannon! Lol. :P

That's actually pretty funny.   :D

In this context, the definition of canon is: a general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged.

Simply put, in terms of KSP, it's stuff that becomes a generally believed fact of the game, such as Kerbals live on just snacks.  It's not written down anywhere, but most everyone accepts it as fact.

The fun part, but also the challenge, for @Kuzzter, @Parkaboy, and the rest of us, is there's very little in terms of original canon to go by.  
And it appears some of the stuff we're writing and creating is slowly becoming canon.

I hope that helps

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, max_creative said:

Ok. Mostly I just wanted to show people something I made with piccollage. I do have a working cannon is ksp though! Now I just need to make it bigger and put the M7 lander in it...

I like it!  And I thought the play on words was quite amusing!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Where is the chart for the Kerbulan rank designations?

"Where is it"? Well, in my head, obviously. There's a lot of canon that isn't written down here yet, one kerb can only do so much :) 

I'll tell you the order of ranks that have been stated in the comic so far. There's no canon beyond that at this point; 'Commander' is roughly a Kerbfleet Captin, and a Centurion is sort of like a Looty Comder, but I don't really have a 1:1 map worked out.

Commander
Sub-Commander
Centurion
Legate
Sub-Legate

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.