Free recording/editing programs?

SmartS=true

Bandicam is a great recording system, but the free version has a watermark and only allows 10 minute recordings.
Fraps is the same, except only 30 second recordings on the free version.

And there are a few free editing systems out there.
Windows Movie Maker is a good starting platform, but it's quite limited.
Windows Movie Maker 6.0 (yes there's a difference) is kinda different, it allows you to put filters on your video, but I don't use it that much.

If you can figure out the UI you can use [U][URL="https://www.videolan.org/"]vlc media player[/URL][/U] to record your desktop, there's no limits and it's free.

As is the [URL="https://obsproject.com/"][U]Open Broadcaster Software[/U][/URL] (OBS), though it's designed to stream it can save the stream to your hard drive.

I third the last 2 posters! Go for OBS. You can do everything, layer a webcam over the gameplay if you want, setup the screen as you wish, then you can either record, broadcast(stream) live on twitch, or both at the same time (streaming is really fun too).

Its no video editor tho, and videos are super big when they come out of OBS, but its gonna be the same with pretty much any recorder. You'll need an actual video editor to compress it correctly. I'd recommend adobe premiere, but that really expensive. I don't know of any good free video editors... But I'm pretty sure no EDITING software will be as good as OBS for capturing the video, since OBS is so easy to use and works so well! AND OBS is free! :P

If you don't care about the size of the videos, then OBS is all you need!

I can't suggest a free video editor or recorder (I didn't know of OBS. I'm going to give it a look as FRAPS - while it gets the job done - can be infuriating at times with its total and complete lack of options) but if you decide to record your audio separate from the game audio (and while it's more work I recommend it) the stalwart free audio editor is Audacity. I've been using it for over a decade now, almost weekly for the whole time, and love it.

My video editor of choice is VideoPad. It's not free but it's less than the cost of a AAA game and I've really taken to it.

yeah audacity is awesome for a freeware! But as you said thats only for audio...

If you have to record yourself speaking, if you are looking for sound quality, I agree you should record that sepperately with a decent microphone. But if all sound that needs to be recorded is the sound coming from the computer, OBS will do the job so nicely with that, no need to record the sound externally

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

looks like its pretty unanimous about OBS! :P

but its way more than just "decent" :P

With all the options, possibility to add an overlay, or webcam capture, or basically anything for that matter... Its really awesome! Not saying that there arent any paid softwares that are even better (I don't even know if there are, but I can't say there is none!), but for a free software, its actually quite amazing!

I'm pretty sure if OBS wasn't from twitch it wouldn't be free either... The reason why its free, in my mind, is that its the perfect tool for streamers to stream, which in turn is profitable to twitch. If it wasn't for the streaming ability, I'm sure that OBS would be at least 20-30 bucks! (its weird to say that REMOVING a functionality would make a freeware a paid application, but I'm pretty sure it would!)

[quote name='Thunder_86']but its way more than just "decent" :P

With all the options, possibility to add an overlay, or webcam capture, or basically anything for that matter... Its really awesome! Not saying that there arent any paid softwares that are even better (I don't even know if there are, but I can't say there is none!), but for a free software, its actually quite amazing!

I'm pretty sure if OBS wasn't from twitch it wouldn't be free either... The reason why its free, in my mind, is that its the perfect tool for streamers to stream, which in turn is profitable to twitch. If it wasn't for the streaming ability, I'm sure that OBS would be at least 20-30 bucks! (its weird to say that REMOVING a functionality would make a freeware a paid application, but I'm pretty sure it would!)[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not made by any Twitch staff (AFAIK), it's an open source project, which means that the program's coder is committed to being free, forever. The best part about open-source software is that even if the lead developer changes his mind about the binaries being free or the program being open source, other developers can still use the last available copy of the source and continue/fork it.

Also, I say "decent" because even the simplest free screen cap software out there can't even record the screen without needing a custom codec or having horrible quality. Edited by longbyte1

[quote name='sal_vager']If you can figure out the UI you can use [U][URL="https://www.videolan.org/"]vlc media player[/URL][/U] to record your desktop, there's no limits and it's free.

As is the [URL="https://obsproject.com/"][U]Open Broadcaster Software[/U][/URL] (OBS), though it's designed to stream it can save the stream to your hard drive.[/QUOTE]
Yep. High quality, low lag, no watermark, and free.

ETA:
The multi-platform version works better for me.

VideoPad has a free version of their professional software. I've used it for years until I finally broke down and bought the full version. It's by NCH Software

[URL="http://www.nchsoftware.com/index.html"]http://www.nchsoftware.com/index.html[/URL] Edited by adsii1970

[quote name='Endersmens']Can't suggest OBS enough. It's just good.[/QUOTE]
Well, it's at least a starting mark, so yeah. Also, if you have $6 dollars to spare along with an IOS device, iMovie is what I use because it's a starting marker, and it's really easy to use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.