Petition: Curse to Kerbal Stuff

Petition  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should Squad use Kerbal Stuff or Curse?

• Kerbal Stuff
    • Curse

The answer I put for your poll is Curse. I absolutely think that Squad should use an actual hosting company over a website run in someone's spare time. With that said, I much prefer using Kerbal Stuff for my releases but also use Curse as a backup (and GitHub as a third option usually). If Curse provided an API that was CKAN compatible I'd probably prefer it as a host, but it doesn't and Kerbal Stuff's API provides enough information to CKAN that I never have to touch the .netkan files directly when I update or release mods. That alone is worth my personal support as a mod developer. GitHub + AVC .version files can provide the same level of ease, but doesn't provide another medium for players to find my mods (though really the forum[+CKAN] is the best place for that). Ultimately as a developer I'm happy as long as people can download my mods in a way that's acceptable to them, so I try to hit at least two but usually three hosts. Uploading to Curse isn't that bad, and a short delay is fine by me: just grab the mod from one of the other two sites in the meantime.

On 12/5/2015, 8:55:59, Red Iron Crown said:

Kerbalstuff's developer does not care about the KSP community, in fact he actually hates it.

R.I.C., I love you, but I don't think that line of argument is particularly classy, regardless of its merit.

RE: Curse vs. Kerbalstuff: I think Curse's interface is MUCH better organized. KS looks like it was designed to be browsed on a smartphone, which is a trend in website design that I absolutely detest. Of course, I use the forums+CKAN almost exclusively, so I'm really hosting agnostic.

Edited by FleshJeb

Personal, unofficial opinion:

@FleshJeb It's unfortunately relevant. If KS was being made and maintained out of love for KSP and its community I would have higher hopes for its longevity. The motives of the developer are very much relevant when speaking of a single-person operation.

The hard part is I actually like the software, KerbalStuff itself is pretty slick and has some compelling features. But I couldn't endorse it as anything other than an alternate download host.

1 hour ago, Sequinox said:

How about we ditch all of those sites and just use GitHub as the norm? It's a better idea for the developers and let's the users see what they're downloading. There is no reason not to use it.

That's actually a good idea.

3 hours ago, magico13 said:

The answer I put for your poll is Curse. I absolutely think that Squad should use an actual hosting company over a website run in someone's spare time. With that said, I much prefer using Kerbal Stuff for my releases but also use Curse as a backup (and GitHub as a third option usually). If Curse provided an API that was CKAN compatible I'd probably prefer it as a host, but it doesn't and Kerbal Stuff's API provides enough information to CKAN that I never have to touch the .netkan files directly when I update or release mods. That alone is worth my personal support as a mod developer. GitHub + AVC .version files can provide the same level of ease, but doesn't provide another medium for players to find my mods (though really the forum[+CKAN] is the best place for that). Ultimately as a developer I'm happy as long as people can download my mods in a way that's acceptable to them, so I try to hit at least two but usually three hosts. Uploading to Curse isn't that bad, and a short delay is fine by me: just grab the mod from one of the other two sites in the meantime.

I do agree that Squad should be managing their own one.

9 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I do agree that Squad should be managing their own one.

I didn't quite say that. Squad used to manage their own, called SpacePort, and I avoided it like the plague. GitHub/Mediafire/Dropbox were the kings back then because SpacePort barely functioned and even when you could use it the download speeds were less than 10 kilobytes a second, which for an 80MB KW Rocketry download took forever. I like that they passed it off to another hosting company who can provide a better experience, I just personally don't like Curse itself that much and that's why I'm glad Kerbal Stuff exists too. For Squad, Curse makes sense. For Users, choice makes sense. One place for everything would be lovely, but I like having redundancy. I don't personally want Curse or KS to go away and I like how they are now (but I really wish Curse would be a better experience than it is now).

Edited by magico13

13 minutes ago, magico13 said:

I didn't quite say that. Squad used to manage their own, called SpacePort, and I avoided it like the plague. GitHub/Mediafire/Dropbox were the kings back then because SpacePort barely functioned and even when you could use it the download speeds were less than 10 kilobytes a second, which for an 80MB KW Rocketry download took forever. I like that they passed it off to another hosting company who can provide a better experience, I just personally don't like Curse itself that much and that's why I'm glad Kerbal Stuff exists too. For Squad, Curse makes sense. For Users, choice makes sense. One place for everything would be lovely, but I like having redundancy. I don't personally want Curse or KS to go away and I like how they are now (but I really wish Curse would be a better experience than it is now).

Ooohhhhhh.  I wasn't around for the SpacePort days.  Now I see why Curse is used...  I think I'm going to get this locked.