The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But on a positive note, having some time off I've been able to get a lot done behind the scenes, including finally figuring out one of the two huge issues I face with the Emiko Station rebuild... :D

oo, that sounds exciting, I can't wait!

On 12/1/2017 at 12:40 PM, Thedrelle said:

oo, that sounds exciting, I can't wait!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. It's going to be quite a challenge, and I love those. The biggest challenge is building everything in orbit, using as few docking ports as possible, and no claws. I discovered using KIS/KAS I can attach some parts directly to an asteroid... most important I can bolt on a radial attachment point. This is key because I can then attach pretty much anything to the attachment point, and build up from there.... I hope.

The two biggest issues I mentioned earlier is spinning around a nearly 4,000 ton asteroid without using 100+ R/W wheels and RCS thrusters... and I'm happy to say this issue has been solved!!! The unsolved issue is finding the easiest way to attach a huge (and I mean huge...) engine to the asteroid without using a claw (if possible) and keeping it lined up enough with the asteroid COM to not spin under acceleration.

Plus there are a myriad smaller logistical issues I'm working out... stuff like making the large pieces in the VAB, then deconstructing and saving them into sub-assemblies so they can be transported up into orbit... and maybe making a whole new type of shuttle or ship to deliver them... still thinking about that.

Yeah, this should be fun.  :D

Edited by Just Jim

On 2.12.2017 at 9:55 PM, Just Jim said:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. It's going to be quite a challenge, and I love those. The biggest challenge is building everything in orbit, using as few docking ports as possible, and no claws. I discovered using KIS/KAS I can attach some parts directly to an asteroid... most important I can bolt on a radial attachment point. This is key because I can then attach pretty much anything to the attachment point, and build up from there.... I hope.

The two biggest issues I mentioned earlier is spinning around a nearly 4,000 ton asteroid without using 100+ R/W wheels and RCS thrusters... and I'm happy to say this issue has been solved!!! The unsolved issue is finding the easiest way to attach a huge (and I mean huge...) engine to the asteroid without using a claw (if possible) and keeping it lined up enough with the asteroid COM to not spin under acceleration.

Plus there are a myriad smaller logistical issues I'm working out... stuff like making the large pieces in the VAB, then deconstructing and saving them into sub-assemblies so they can be transported up into orbit... and maybe making a whole new type of shuttle or ship to deliver them... still thinking about that.

Yeah, this should be fun.  :Dwrong

Dunno if that problem has only happened to me but when I had my Minmus base I constantly experienced the KIS / KAS anchor points and junction parts detaching themselves from Minmus' surface on loading and the KAS struts would simply vanish. While I'm not sure if I did anything wrong with attaching crap to the surface of Minmus I'm pretty sure I connected the struts correctly as it didn't seem like there was anything else to do beside just "dragging" the strut from 1 connector to another with an engineer.

1 hour ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Dunno if that problem has only happened to me but when I had my Minmus base I constantly experienced the KIS / KAS anchor points and junction parts detaching themselves from Minmus' surface on loading and the KAS struts would simply vanish. While I'm not sure if I did anything wrong with attaching crap to the surface of Minmus I'm pretty sure I connected the struts correctly as it didn't seem like there was anything else to do beside just "dragging" the strut from 1 connector to another with an engineer.

Certainly surface attach points can break, especially if you use more than one on a base they can pull on each other.

On 02/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, Just Jim said:

Have you considered the hangar mod?

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/80225-131-hangar/

It has nice asteroid attachment parts and allows you to use the internal volume of an asteroid as a hanger.

5 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Doesn't explain why they do it on loading tho.

When the game scene first loads, or you approach within 2.2km of something, physics kicks in all at once and tends to give everything a nasty jolt. It’s not at all uncommon for things to break, explode, or just come apart right after loading. Especially if they’re wonkie to begin with, like those KAS attachments. 

Hey... I'm back online! Not sure what was wrong, but they had to replace the entire outside box... whatever, it's fixed, finally.

But I have a ton of real life stuff to do tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll be able to start writing until tomorrow evening or Wednesday. Doesn't matter, I can finally write it up!  :)

Since I can finally upload pics, here's a couple from the next chapter to hold y'all over until then:

U5nhvfm.png

kNgCHy3.png

VM2kXYc.png

ggj0hGz.png

15 hours ago, Oiff said:

Certainly surface attach points can break, especially if you use more than one on a base they can pull on each other.

Have you considered the hangar mod?

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/80225-131-hangar/

It has nice asteroid attachment parts and allows you to use the internal volume of an asteroid as a hanger.

I haven't seen this yet, no, but I'll check it out, thanks!

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

When the game scene first loads, or you approach within 2.2km of something, physics kicks in all at once and tends to give everything a nasty jolt. It’s not at all uncommon for things to break, explode, or just come apart right after loading. Especially if they’re wonkie to begin with, like those KAS attachments. 

yeah... I'll be attaching things directly with KIS whenever possible, and only using KAS stuff for cosmetics... the tubes and such. 

I realize there will still be a chance of invoking a game kraken doing this... I'll just have to be careful, go slow, and make many backups before starting... :wink:

On 12/2/2017 at 8:26 PM, Geschosskopf said:

OK, OK, I accept responsibility..  Flagellate me as you will, burn me at the stake.  I have it coming :) 

Oh no... you just were the recipient of the Magic Boulder vision... no need to incinerate the messenger... lmao.... :D

Edited by Just Jim

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Since I can finally upload pics, here's a couple from the next chapter to hold y'all over until then:

Velly intellesting.....

yeah... I'll be attaching things directly with KIS whenever possible, and only using KAS stuff for cosmetics... the tubes and such. 

KAS and KIS connections are fine for temporary things as needed, while you're focused on the ships involved.  But always disconnect them before leaving that scene or else, when you come back again, BAD THINGS are likely to happen.

Oh no... you just were the recipient of the Magic Boulder vision... no need to incinerate the messenger... lmao.... :D

But what if I WANT it:D 

Anyway, glad your back online.

3 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

KAS and KIS connections are fine for temporary things as needed, while you're focused on the ships involved.  But always disconnect them before leaving that scene or else, when you come back again, BAD THINGS are likely to happen.

Unfortunately, my only other option is using claws and docking ports, which can be equally unstable and wobbly...

Needless to say, I'll be doing a lot of experimenting first. And making backups along the way.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I realize there will still be a chance of invoking a game kraken doing this... I'll just have to be careful, go slow, and make many backups before starting... :wink:

If you’re not using it already, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is your friend here. It eases physics on load in so there’s not so much jolt, it’s worked well for me so far.

But as you certainly know, sometimes Krakens gonna Krak (krak krak krak krak, and the... crap :mad:).

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Unfortunately, my only other option is using claws and docking ports, which can be equally unstable and wobbly...

Needless to say, I'll be doing a lot of experimenting first. And making backups along the way.

One of the cool things about Pathfinder is that it has wireless resource transfers between various parts, so they don't need to be connected physically.  The main exception is if you want a bunch of Gaslights and/or Sombrero solar panels, which only attach to nodes.  Only the Ponderosa, which comes in a box, has a node at all.  So to get enough nodes, you have to use more Ponderosas sitting side-by-side instead of 1 Ponderosa with Casas radially attached to it.  Then set the unconnected Ponderosas to share resources with each other as needed.

I also advise against fastening the Saddle baseplates of the Ponderosas to the ground.  That's another form of Kraken-bait.  Just drop the Saddles, then attach the Ponderosas.  That way, the base modules just sit loosely on the ground surface.  They still work, and they'll shift very slightly relative to each other when you load physics, but usually keep the Kraken away.

If you have to have Gaslights on Saddles connected to Ponderosas by the KAS/KIS pipes, I recommend disconnecting them before you shift focus away from the base, then reconnecting them when you return.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

If you’re not using it already, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is your friend here. It eases physics on load in so there’s not so much jolt, it’s worked well for me so far.

Hope that's available for 1.0.2 too. Otherwise I'll have to keep KAS and KIS to a minimum.

I don’t think physics collisions is such a problem with asteroids, I managed to drag one into a seriously oversized cargo bay one time with no booms.  It was clipping all over the place but didn’t cause any damage, it would appear that a grappled roid is considered part of the ship that has grappled it so can’t cause any damage.  I even managed to get some quantum struts on it to stop it flailing around during manoeuvres.

Oh, of course, quantum struts would solve your wobblyness issue. Since they can be placed on the station and then turned on when it latches onto the asteroid.  And you can never have too many blue lasers.

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

But as you certainly know, sometimes Krakens gonna Krak (krak krak krak krak, and the... crap :mad:).

I just found and downloaded it for 1.3... I'm headed out for a while, but I'll check it out when I get home.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Have you updated to 1.3.1 yet? I'm debating it.

No, I got a heads-up there is an asteroid related bug. I'm not sure if it would effect me or not, but I'd rather wait until it's resolved, and not take a chance on it possibly screwing things up.

I don't believe it, someone took out a pole down the road, and we're completely blacked out. But we just saw a truck with a new pole, so hopefully it won't take too long.

On a positive note, I had a chance to play with the joint reinforcement mod before the lights went out, and from what I saw so far I seriously love it!  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.