TDM's Fanmade KSP Music Medley!

TheDarthMoogle

So I saw Squad was hiring. But I have almost no experience, or a decent enough system to take up the position anyway.

But that didn\'t stop me having a mess around!

So here it is. It\'s in no particular order, and the description shows what each section is supposed to be in.

If you have any suggestions, please post them here!

I understand there are code hooks existing in there somewhere, but I\'m not adept enough at decompiling Unity to create a fully fledged mod all by myself; better to wait for some official music to come out.

https://www.box.com/s/2f95e560af599dfe7b74

Couldn\'t be bothered to wait ages for YouTube to play nicely, so it\'s in there instead. There\'s a whole bunch of fun and nonsense in there, so feel free to have a look around.

Thank you!

Not bad, I think you nailed the Main Menu and Re-entry. The one for orbital wasn\'t bad, although I almost feel like the one you labeled as Deep Space would be more suited for orbital. I didn\'t really care for the Mechanical failure one though, it didn\'t feel urgent or chaotic enough. It felt more like a spy movie.

The problem with the mechanical failure is that I had made a big flashy, noisy one, but what use is that pumping into your ears when you have more important matters?

Also, mechanical failures could last for upwards of twenty minutes o.O

Do you really want to be blasted for that length of time?

It was a last minute addon here, to give a bit of variety.

Also, if you\'re looking for inspiration music, who could forget \'also sprach zarathustra\', \'The blue danube\' and \'Mars\' from Holst\'s planets suite.

\'Mars\' is pretty epic for use when you\'re landing on the mun. Try it yourself and see. :D Just play it when you\'re about to land.

I actually really like the mechanical failure; If there is one thing I\'d suggest, it\'d be to have separate failure songs for in, and out of the atmosphere, so the current one would be for slower-paced failures and another more urgent one would be for when a booster flies off!

EDIT:

One thing that really stood out was how 'smooth' the transition felt between songs... I\'m wondering if it\'d be possible to have a procedural music system where you\'d start with a big bunch of preset bars of music, and it\'d fit them together depending on what is happening inside the game.

It\'d allow the whole thing to feel 'connected', with no jarring, and you could layer instruments on top of the simple melody as things get more extreme (like, on reentry it\'ll layer on more and more as your altitude decreases). It\'d also mean that the music doesn\'t need to be so distracting at times, and the music could eventually get a bit slower and eventually turn just to ambient noise if you do the same thing for a long while.

EDIT:

Maybe I could try this as a concept plugin for KSP... I need something to try teaching myself coding!

-snip-

Well, I could\'ve done all that, but this was just me messing around because I\'d missed the bus :/

I have a shedload of ideas in terms of different cues, and their transitions, and I\'ve been reading up on the Unity engine to find out how to get the music to play nicely.

In the meantime, I will fully flesh out the tracks, edit the naff ones, and add some more.

If I can figure out how to call up the right functions and parameters to play my music, I may just apply for the job >D

I do also happen to have the entire BBC sound effects library, and that\'s bound to have some nice ambient sounds for the VAB/Hanger and perhaps even some rocket noises.

I love that Menu music, great work there. Orbital music sounds a bit sad. The Mechanical failure was great apart from the ending. The Deep Space... I don\'t know, once again sounds a bit sad. VAB music is lovely, sounds very calming. Re-Entry music definitely shouts out that things are getting tense - love it.

Bollocks. You\'re right.

It\'s the exact same chord sequence.

There really is nothing original any more, is there? -.-

I don\'t blame you, it\'s a damn good song! :D

And you\'re not the only person to write awesome music that sounds just like it. Look up 'Paris' by Daniel Graham. That has a similar chord, but may teach you a thing or two about how to make it sound different.

I like the orchestration of the themes, although I have a few minor suggestions that I won\'t detail here. My primary issue is the synth-instruments, which of course you couldn\'t do anything about; that\'s where I may be able to help. I play a couple brass instruments, primarily trumpet, and I\'d be willing to record tracks for you if you\'re interested. I think it would make these excellent compositions even better if they were played on the proper, real instruments.

I thought it\'d be of interest to people here that in KSP\'s 'sounds' folder, there is actually unimplemented music (presumably) for the V.A.B, named 'editorLoop01.ogg'

I thought that was just some ambient mechanical near-white noise for distinguishing interior from exterior locations, but I could be wrong.

Oh, why didn\'t I think of actually researching other stuff before this >.<

Apollo 13 would\'ve been on the top of the list. James Horner is a beast with music, too.

Nice music, also apollo 13 is the best music ever!

I like this music! Very nice.

... I\'m wondering if it\'d be possible to have a procedural music system where you\'d start with a big bunch of preset bars of music, and it\'d fit them together depending on what is happening inside the game.

Context sensitive music always impresses me. I\'ve seen it once or twice... somewhere. Civilization 3 did something similar, where the tracks get more complex as you reach certain triggers. The music change check would happen at the endpoint of the loop so that the transition was smooth. So we know it can be done.

For inspiration, here is the loop for designing a battle bot in Robot Arena 2,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.