[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

21 minutes ago, xcite105 said:

Running on x64 I am stable running at 6 gigs. Game Data folder 4 gigs though.. Is there not an option to download an x64 texture loader? I was under the impression that 64bit would take care of its own caching.

No logs, no support.

4 hours ago, Evanitis said:

It's so cool when one comes to report a bug slight inconvenience with an awesome mod just to find that it was recently fixed. Thanks!

You may have to delete the texture cache in DynamicTextureLoader though.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 5:17 PM, rbray89 said:

Those errors occur in PP with or without DTL. Did you try loading multiple times? I assume you can load/run this KSP install without DTL? Is that the latest version of PP/DTL?

If I had to guess, I'd say the creator is doing something funky/unusual in the creation of their parts. I'd have to look into this.

Yes, I did have the latest versions of PP & DTL, at least as of when I posted. And yes, I was able to load into KSP without DTL.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:56 PM, armegeddon said:

Actually, I think this was caused by the recent updates to RealFuels and SolverEngines.  The latest RealFuels that ended up on CKAN has a misconfigured file that the author fixed, but as far as I was able to tell it didn't propegate to CKAN. I ended up reinstalling both files from ckan (to satisfy RealismOverhaul dependencies), then overwriting them with the downloads from the respective mod pages.

I don't use CKAN but also didn't realize there was an update of RealFuels.  I've downloaded and reinstalled the lastest versions of RealFuels, SolverEngines, ProceduralParts and DTL and this time it looks like I'm loading up correctly.  Thank you both for the assist.  Now to see if I can play longer with DTL running.  :)

EDIT: Unfortunately I'm still having an issue.  KSP will now load up with DTL running and my memory footprint is slightly smaller (about 3MB at KSC versus 3.1 without DTL).  And I can load up my quicksave to get me back to my lunar flight that's getting ready to return home.  I'm seeing better memory savings after loading the quicksave (just over 3MB versus 3.35MB without DTL) which is even better.  Problem is, when I try to advance time to move out of the Moon's SOI, the game freezes (windows say "Not Responding").  I've waiting a few minutes for the game to respond and nothing.  I've tried forcibly crashing the game, then loading back in a couple times but the same thing keeps happening.  Finally I removed DTL and tried going back to my flight.  The memory is back to what it was without DTL (not surprising) but this time the game didn't freeze so I have to assume that DTL is doing something that is freezing the game.  Trouble is, if I look at output_log.txt and ksp.log while the game appears frozen, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary at the end of either file.  Is there another log I can look at to try and figure out what might be causing the freeze?  Or does anyone have an ideas what might be causing this?

Edited by chrisl

1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

Are you using dx9 or opengl or dx11 I had something like this with opengl setting it back to the stock dx9 worked for me. I had only set opengl to save memory but DTL allows me to use DX9 with all my mods

I'm using the "-force-opengl" flag so I'll try without that and see if it makes a difference.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Unfortunately, that didn't help.  Removing the "-force_opengl" flag and reinstalling DTL results in KSP using nearly 3.7M just to get to the main menu.  The game crashes when I try to load my game.  Strangest thing I notice is, it doesn't look like the memory footprint every actually goes down.  One of the mods I have installed is GCMonitor and it just shows a steady increase in ram usage during the entire load process.  I tried loading the game 4 times and the RAM usage was effectively the same each time.  Is there a command I should be using to force it into DX9 mode?

EDIT: I tried using "-force-d3d11" but that wasn't a whole lot better then without a flag.  Getting to the main menu, GCMonitor reported 3M of RAM and I was able to load my game (3.2M RAM at KSC) but going into the VAB shot the RAM up to 3.7M and the game crashes when trying to load one of my larger (111 parts) craft files.  Tried doing that 4 times with the same result each time.

Edited by chrisl

7 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

Does this mod affect FPS?

I'm having lower than usual frames per second (50% to 30% of original) across several different installs. DTL might not be the reason, but I suspect it might be.

If anything, it will help your framerates.

I'm having a strange case where even in DX11 mode, KSP still uses an awful lot of system memory. 2GB of GPU memory and only 1.1GB used on load (GTX 760).

Are there a lot of things that still load to main memory? ProcExp shows 2.7 GB private bytes when entering main screen, but the in-game memory monitor says 3 GB.

Here's my results with this mod.. GPU Pinned to 2GB on load but drops to 1.2GB - 1.5GB in game, system RAM usage is 3GB and I often get OOM Crashes.

My setup;

• DX11
  • 1080P 60Hz vSync
  • Everything on max except AA which is set to 4x
  • 100 +/-5 Mods although not everything is a part/visual mod.

Dropping it to Half Res does drop GPU Usage but does not affect system usage which is my problem... I'm constantly going OOM. Any suggestions? EDIT: When I say usage, I mean RAM Usage.

Edited by Speedster159
Clarification

2 minutes ago, Speedster159 said:

Here's my results with this mod.. GPU Pinned to 2GB on load but drops to 1.2GB - 1.5GB in game, system RAM usage is 3GB and I often get OOM Crashes.

My setup;

• DX11
  • 1080P 60Hz vSync
  • Everything on max except AA which is set to 4x
  • 100 +/-5 Mods although not everything is a part/visual mod.

Dropping it to Half Res does drop GPU Usage but does not affect system usage which is my problem... I'm constantly going OOM. Any suggestions?

System mem will be taken up primarily by readable textures and model information (meshes primarily). I can't do anything there unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, smjjames said:

@rbray89 With the latest UKS, DTL is breaking the texture for Ore kontainers and is making the MetallicOre, Uranite, and Substrate skins low res. Along with making the texture for the supply readi-pack low res.

Strategia2%20career_screenshot_2016-02-1

Strategia2%20career_screenshot_2016-02-1

Unfortunately anything that has a feature to change textures on the fly (procedural parts, etc.) just won't work well. The issue is that there is no way for me to hook into the texture updates. I might be able to add a hotkey or something to re-load all textures... What I'd probably suggest is that the other mod authors (procedural parts, etc.) add a mechanism to load/unload textures.

I might be able to add a blacklist for procedural parts, but I'm not certain that is necessarily the best option.

I did some testing for curiosity sake. I don't use opengl because even though the memory reduction is nice it is not needed in my case since i don't seem to hit the memory cap anyhow. Plus I think opengl looks horrible. So I include testing done only under dx9 and dx11.  I logged the usage under different scenarios including the main menu upon entering and exiting the game, the Space Center, VAB and SPH, and doing a quick fly-by the Mun. Aside from MJ, KER,and a few other mods that add quality of life I don't use part heavy mods, period. So I wasn't sure how well DTL would affect my system, but here it goes.

Specs: Windows 8.1 64bit, 6meg ram, i7-920 oc'd, gtx 760 2gig

In DX11 there was a marginal difference in all scenario's of only 20-30 meg. No big deal because DX11 stutters for me anyhow so I don't use it.

Under DX9 though I saw a 100-200 meg increase in all scenario's while using DTL except in the main menu.

Maybe I have misunderstood the function of DTL but I found it odd as I was sure I would see at least some improvement with DX9. It's not a loss for me though because I don't seem to ever reach the memory cap anyways. After reading this thread it's apparent some people may require DTL in order to play KSP which just shows that KSP still needs some love in the stability department. Thank you for all of your contributions to KSP.

Edited by zKrieg
Edit OCD?

1 hour ago, Speedster159 said:

What exactly would happen if I install this alongside ATM? What are the conflicts?

This would trump ATM. ATM would basically be disabled.

21 hours ago, zKrieg said:

I did some testing for curiosity sake. I don't use opengl because even though the memory reduction is nice it is not needed in my case since i don't seem to hit the memory cap anyhow. Plus I think opengl looks horrible. So I include testing done only under dx9 and dx11.  I logged the usage under different scenarios including the main menu upon entering and exiting the game, the Space Center, VAB and SPH, and doing a quick fly-by the Mun. Aside from MJ, KER,and a few other mods that add quality of life I don't use part heavy mods, period. So I wasn't sure how well DTL would affect my system, but here it goes.

Specs: Windows 8.1 64bit, 6meg ram, i7-920 oc'd, gtx 760 2gig

In DX11 there was a marginal difference in all scenario's of only 20-30 meg. No big deal because DX11 stutters for me anyhow so I don't use it.

Under DX9 though I saw a 100-200 meg increase in all scenario's while using DTL except in the main menu.

Maybe I have misunderstood the function of DTL but I found it odd as I was sure I would see at least some improvement with DX9. It's not a loss for me though because I don't seem to ever reach the memory cap anyways. After reading this thread it's apparent some people may require DTL in order to play KSP which just shows that KSP still needs some love in the stability department. Thank you for all of your contributions to KSP.

This couldn't possibly be correct... The textures are almost entirely unloaded. do you have any logs from the DX9 Test? DX11 and OGL use graphics memory as the location for textures, so you won't likely see a difference. 

Edited by rbray89

39 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

This would trump ATM. ATM would basically be disabled.

This couldn't possibly be correct... The textures are almost entirely unloaded. do you have any logs from the DX9 Test? DX11 and OGL use graphics memory as the location for textures, so you won't likely see a difference. 

Not any kind of log file but I wrote the numbers down if that's what you are asking for.

Edited by zKrieg

3 minutes ago, zKrieg said:

Not any kind of log file but I wrote the numbers down if that's what you are asking for.

No, I need log files. (KSP.log) Those can tell me if perhaps there is a conflict with other mods or something to explain a discrepancy. 

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

No, I need log files. (KSP.log) Those can tell me if perhaps there is a conflict with other mods or something to explain a discrepancy. 

I'm new to posting on the KSP forums and don't see a way to attach the log. Am I missing something or do I need to upload it to a file hosting server?

Edited by zKrieg
Feeling like a noob