[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

23 minutes ago, smjjames said:

@rbray89 I'm getting those FPS drops again while in flight that I reported earlier. Not sure whether it has to do with reverting flight or the RAM getting filled up or what.

edit: After a restart of the game (RAM usage was at 3.4something GB ), it went away, so, maybe something with high ram usage??

Probably. What did the memory usage on the rest of your system look like?

@rbray89 for what it's worth, this works like a charm on my macbook.  I don't have all the -force options that win users do, but for my money, this mod is a must have.  I was able to unload ATM, so I can actually see flags and buttons again (!), and was able to turn textures from 1/8 to 1/2, so the game looks a lot more appealing. Crashes are less frequent, the game feels more responsive, my clothes are whiter and my hair is thicker and fuller.  I can't go full-resolution on textures because it causes my machine to convulse for some reason, but half-res is still a lot better than 1/8.

Thanks for all your work on this!

2 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Probably. What did the memory usage on the rest of your system look like?

@rbray89 Okay, had it happen again after I did a force revert (went to KSC while still in atmosphere) because I was landing in a bad place in the mountains. I was suspecting something with reverting previously as well. I'll give it a look without DTL to make sure it isn't something else.

Current memory usage atm:

3.255MB (GCmonitor)
2673 (taskmanager)
1509 (GPU-Z)

1 minute ago, smjjames said:

@rbray89 Okay, had it happen again after I did a force revert (went to KSC while still in atmosphere) because I was landing in a bad place in the mountains. I was suspecting something with reverting previously as well. I'll give it a look without DTL to make sure it isn't something else.

Current memory usage atm:

3.255MB (GCmonitor)
2673 (taskmanager)
1509 (GPU-Z)

Whats the 2673 include? How much system/graphics memory do you have?

...And ...if I understood correctly - if you use the KSPRC mod: in memory are the textures of planets from mod (folder texturereplaser), but also in the memory are the standard textures of the planets from the sharedassets (in KSP_DATA)?
but can we do disable/replace the not required items from the standard sharedassets (if they load) if we use other textures... (maybe simple button on/off)
The texture of KerbinScaledSpace 300/401 (43+MB*2) ... and there are other textures of the planets... trees, rocks, etc. Maybe you can do some kind of switch?
Ps: I'm very far from programming. And KSPRC mod regularly crashes :( - not enough memory..(d3d11) I don't even know how to optimize it :( (Already copied parts of the ship from the folder "parts" on top of the details in the folder squad/parts.../and deleted from the folder texturereplaser/. KSPRC atmosphere was replaced by standart EVE... But replacing standard textures of the planets above my abilities). Can it be optimised?

17 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Whats the 2673 include? How much system/graphics memory do you have?

That was the amount KSP was using, I did it without DTL and while there was a FPS drop for a moment, it went back to normal, so, I'm pretty sure it's DTL.

As for system memory, I have 8gigabytes, graphics memory is 2048 according to GPU-Z

Edit: Actually, without DTL, it goes away after I get out of physics range of the station I was at.

Edited by smjjames

9 hours ago, rbray89 said:

It saves video memory on GL and DX11 platforms. DX9 still uses app memory for whatever stupid reason instead of graphics memory for textures. 

Keep in mind that on certain systems (especially laptops) that graphics and system memory is shared. This means if you have say 6GB of memory, 2 may be reserved for graphics, the rest for system. That means you still want to conserve as much memory (graphics or otherwise) as you can. This mod isn't intended for those with 16GB of system memory and 4GB of graphics memory. This is targeted at people who have little to no graphics memory, and limited system memory once the OS and other apps are up. Moreso when running with lots of part mods.

Ah, that part I missed. I have 12GB of RAM with 1GB VRAM, sounds like this mod won't really help me then. ;.;

If it doesn't end up helping me, thanks for your work either way, and hope it helps others.

Edited by Phoenix84

11 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

Ah, that part I missed. I have 12GB of RAM with 1GB VRAM, sounds like this mod won't really help me then. ;.;

If it doesn't end up helping me, thanks for your work either way, and hope it helps others.

It depends... I have 2GB of vram and it is eaten up with a reasonable number of mods at full res pretty quickly.

43 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

It depends... I have 2GB of vram and it is eaten up with a reasonable number of mods at full res pretty quickly.

I know how to check RAM usage, but how do I check how much VRAM I'm using?

51 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Updated another release... this one does not load duplicate textures. https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.6

I deleted the cache after putting the new one in and I got some of these exceptions while starting up:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DynamicTextureLoader.DatabaseLoaderTexture_DTL.Load (.UrlFile urlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DynamicTextureLoader.DatabaseLoaderTexture_DTL+<Load>d__7.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    :MoveNext()

Going to restart to see if I still get those. Edit: Yeah, still there.

edit2: Yeah, it's breaking some textures, the decouplers from Heat Management, SpaceY got hit pretty hard too, making many parts pure white (completely lose the texture), the engine bells of some SpaceY engines got blanked out, the fore and aft mount propfans from Karbonite got turned charcoal, the karbonite tanks (from, you know, Karbonite) got blanked out to white, and some other stuff.

Edited by smjjames

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

I deleted the cache after putting the new one in and I got some of these exceptions while starting up:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DynamicTextureLoader.DatabaseLoaderTexture_DTL.Load (.UrlFile urlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DynamicTextureLoader.DatabaseLoaderTexture_DTL+<Load>d__7.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    :MoveNext()

Going to restart to see if I still get those. Edit: Yeah, still there.

edit2: Yeah, it's breaking some textures, the decouplers from Heat Management, SpaceY got hit pretty hard too, making many parts pure white (completely lose the texture), the engine bells of some SpaceY engines got blanked out, the fore and aft mount propfans from Karbonite got turned charcoal, the karbonite tanks (from, you know, Karbonite) got blanked out to white, and some other stuff.

Updated to fix null refs. https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.6-1

8 hours ago, rbray89 said:

That fixes the NRE and some texture problems, however, there are still some broken textures:

The fore (front) and aft (back) propfan engines from Karbonite and the karbonite tanks

TCA%20stockbased%20testing_screenshot_20

Some of the Universial Storage versions of DMagic Orbital Science instruments (shown here from top clockwise) are the soil moisture sensor, GORESat, Orbital Telescope, and Multi-Spectral imaging platform.

TCA%20stockbased%20testing_screenshot_20

Edited by smjjames

Great job!

Some issues for 1.6-1

Can trouble parts use the same texture... but different rescaled size...???
Portion of containers (mod: universal storage) has a color, and the instruments themselves - no color (i found only for 4 from this "container" mod: soil moisture, orbital telescope, solar particle collector, multispectral tool)

35f6b6ea1d87.png

Edited by *MajorTom*

5 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Great job!

Some issues for 1.6-1

Can trouble parts use the same texture... but different rescaled size...???
Portion of containers (mod: universal storage) has a color, and the instruments themselves - no color (i found only for 4 from this "container" mod: soil moisture, orbital telescope, solar particle collector, multispectral tool)

Maybe. The Universial Storage versions of the DMagic Orbital Science instruments use the same textures as the regular ones, I know that for sure.

As for the Karbonite tanks and the propfan engines.... The engines definetly have the same textures as the radial propfans, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the Karbonite tanks.

5 hours ago, smjjames said:

Maybe. The Universial Storage versions of the DMagic Orbital Science instruments use the same textures as the regular ones, I know that for sure.

As for the Karbonite tanks and the propfan engines.... The engines definetly have the same textures as the radial propfans, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the Karbonite tanks.

KSP does some weird things with loading textures for parts when cross referencing textures from other packs, and I'm still trying to figure it all out, as those are the ones causing the issues.

...or just create exeption list of parts :) (if it very hard to find solution) from DMagicOrbitalScience\UniversalStorage\...

...USSolarParticles

...USSoilMoisture

...USImagingPlatform

...USScope

and so on... for same issues in mods

Thank you for excellent idea and its implementation!

Memory footpring seems to be smaller than using ActiveTextureManagement, and the graphics quality got much higher, no more ATM-produced blur.  The game stability also improved, but I still had the crash.

I am using RSS. I had game crashed when I entered Tracking Station. It happened after moderately long game session, it was not the first time I've used Tracking Station.  The logs do not look like typical "out of memory" crash.

Log files (KSP log and ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Player.log) are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gl9ur29zk5c5ev6/AADMKhHN08CBw0YnUU2Pekkza?dl=0

You might notice that I use 32-bit binary on Linux.  This is intentional, my notebook is not x64 capable :(

35 minutes ago, pargentum said:

Thank you for excellent idea and its implementation!

Memory footpring seems to be smaller than using ActiveTextureManagement, and the graphics quality got much higher, no more ATM-produced blur.  The game stability also improved, but I still had the crash.

I am using RSS. I had game crashed when I entered Tracking Station. It happened after moderately long game session, it was not the first time I've used Tracking Station.  The logs do not look like typical "out of memory" crash.

Log files (KSP log and ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Player.log) are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gl9ur29zk5c5ev6/AADMKhHN08CBw0YnUU2Pekkza?dl=0

You might notice that I use 32-bit binary on Linux.  This is intentional, my notebook is not x64 capable :(

Try looking at the folder generated during the crash. It should have some more detailed information.

sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  I had updated my post after you quoted it, asking for "logs without DTL installed"... my edit to the post included several logs of various install scenarios with/without DTL and such.  I link to it here for easy navigation: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128660-1051-41-dec-31-2015-dynamic-texture-loader/&do=findComment&comment=2344492

Going to try the current version now.  I do note you say DTL is now possibly incompatible with ATM.  Should we run one or the other, but not both until further notice, or is this 'incompatibility' being addressed?  Also, I am not clear on if DTL will help while using -force-d3d11 or -force-opengl will achieve significant results?  Is it your stance that it will not be a significantly noticeable amount of benefit using either of those options combined with DTL?  Are you looking to take this further, if Unity allows it, and apply this to DynamicLoad the video ram as well as the system ram?  I have no idea if that is even possible, just thought i'd ask.

Cheers to you for your good works

shaggy

6 hours ago, Shaggygoblin said:

sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  I had updated my post after you quoted it, asking for "logs without DTL installed"... my edit to the post included several logs of various install scenarios with/without DTL and such.  I link to it here for easy navigation: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128660-1051-41-dec-31-2015-dynamic-texture-loader/&do=findComment&comment=2344492

Going to try the current version now.  I do note you say DTL is now possibly incompatible with ATM.  Should we run one or the other, but not both until further notice, or is this 'incompatibility' being addressed?  Also, I am not clear on if DTL will help while using -force-d3d11 or -force-opengl will achieve significant results?  Is it your stance that it will not be a significantly noticeable amount of benefit using either of those options combined with DTL?  Are you looking to take this further, if Unity allows it, and apply this to DynamicLoad the video ram as well as the system ram?  I have no idea if that is even possible, just thought i'd ask.

Cheers to you for your good works

shaggy

The effectiveness of DTL depends heavily on your system. If you have limited graphics/system memory, you'd likely want to use OpenGL ALONG with DTL, as it would save graphics memory and if used up, system memory as well. It isn't all about the 4GB KSP limit, it is also about system limit.