KSP Mac OS X 64 bit

Alpha188

It always crashes for me. I don't know why. I downloaded everything and still nothing. It works for 1.0.4 but not for 1.0.5. :( 

Is there any way for someone to send me their KSP application so it can work? Because it doesn't work for me. :( 

Dang. I tried to download an older OSX but it won't let me. I guess I have to wait for one of the following

-I can go to the apple store and complain to a mac genius and see if they fix it

-Someone patches the memory leak that stores the assets every time you return to the Space Center/Revert and causes memory to fill up. (If someone patches this somehow, they will be a HERO of KSP.)

-1.1 comes/64 Bit support of some kind.

Edited by Kuansenhama

Okay, I've had the chance to run the 64 bit modded KSP for two or three hours and I am very pleased with its performance. I haven't had a single crash as compared to about one or more per hour previously. While any improvement in frame rate is subtle, the stuttering I used to get when changing focus or switching between saves has practically disappeared. I have a 455 part space station that used to degrade frame rate quite a bit but is now pleasant to work with. For the record, I'm running KSP 1.0.4 on a Retina MacBook, 2.5GHz Core i7, 16G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Mac OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite. I'm not sure how to go about reverting from El Capitan to an earlier version of OSX. As may be apparent from my running less-than-current KSP and OSX, I no longer wish to be an early adopter.

12 minutes ago, MachTurtle said:

While any improvement in frame rate is subtle, the stuttering I used to get when changing focus or switching between saves has practically disappeared.

Pretty much the same for me. A subtle difference in framerate, a decent improvement in gameplay.

I have downloaded the correct version of Unity and copied the relevant files over into the appropriate locations in KSP, as described in the initial post in this thread.  How can I tell if it is running as a 64-bit application?  When I tried to list all the applications on my Mac, every version of KSP still showed up in the list as 32-bit, not 64.  Is simply running KSP for a long time, going back and forth between the VAB and craft in orbit, and then checking the memory usage the only way to tell whether the changes are having the desired effect?

16 minutes ago, PnDB said:

I have downloaded the correct version of Unity and copied the relevant files over into the appropriate locations in KSP, as described in the initial post in this thread.  How can I tell if it is running as a 64-bit application?  When I tried to list all the applications on my Mac, every version of KSP still showed up in the list as 32-bit, not 64.  Is simply running KSP for a long time, going back and forth between the VAB and craft in orbit, and then checking the memory usage the only way to tell whether the changes are having the desired effect?

If it plays for a couple hours than yes.

I tried the procedure last night. I haven't had enough time yet to report anything for certain other than "the game still runs," but I think I observed a smoother transition when I got within draw distance of a space station. (Usually when I pass the 2.3 km mark on an approach towards a complicated craft, the game stops for a second or two before continuing--this time, as far as I can tell, it didn't. Progress!) I'll try installing a bunch of pretty visual mods and see what happens.

Thanks to my dyslexia I downloaded unity-4.6.9.dmg... So It didn't work...

Today I downloaded unity-4.6.4.dmg... But did not work

I have some help thanks this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTtOy4tQzt4 

I check the sizes of the different files that is necessary to copy. I make as the video says, I ended the old files with .bak

The original UnityEngine.dll had 620k, the new one 620k 

The original libmono.0.dylib had 2.9MB, the new one 3.1MB

The original libMonoPosixHelper.dylib had 301k, the new one 350k 

The original KSP had 18.8MB, the new one KSP(UnityPlayer) 22.4MB

When I made the correct substitution in the correct folder (that was one of my mistakes) and the correct size, the game run well better than the win version that I was using in the bootcamp partition in the same  computer. 

5 hours ago, GDJ said:

Okay, so what's the fundamental difference between Unity 4.6.4 and, say, Unity 4.7 or the top Unity 4.xx version? Why only 4.6.4?

I don't actually know, but as I don't really know why and how this fix works, I just followed the instructions I found on Reddit. If you want I can give it a try.

14 hours ago, Kuansenhama said:

I looked it up online. It might be because I'm in El Captain and it sucks. Does anyone know how I can change back to Mountian Lion?

I have El Capitain and it works fine on a late 2009 iMac... Maybe you should try to right click on the KSP app>open. This usually lets you open some apps that otherwise you can't (at least for the first time, then it should work even if you open it in the normal way).

Downgrading to an okder OSX... Is always hard. I don't think you can do that from the App Store. As far as I know, you must have the older OS on a flash drive and install the OS from there. I've always done it this way.

Edited by Alpha188

9 minutes ago, Alpha188 said:

I don't actually know, but as I don't really know why and how this fix works, I just followed the instructions I found on Reddit. If you want I can give it a try.

Oh no. That's not necessary. I'll have a look at the files first and see what the difference is. Thanks tho'. I'm just happy KSP works really well right now with the Unity 4.6.4 stuff in it.

I do know that it doesn't work with any of the Unity 5 stuff. I tried that about 6 months ago when I first stumbled on the Reddit post.

Edited by GDJ

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

Okay, so what's the fundamental difference between Unity 4.6.4 and, say, Unity 4.7 or the top Unity 4.xx version? Why only 4.6.4?

Don't known, i am not a programmer.

I tried it and it does not work. don't know why....

1 hour ago, MachTurtle said:

That's a great philosophy for the real world, but in KSP maybe it should be "if it aint broke, add more mods."  :)

:lol: Yes, I suppose that works for Jeb and company. 

Quick reply to share my experience.

Followed to the letter the instructions in the opening post and my previously unplayable modded install of KSP 1.0.5 seems now more stable than its Windows counterpart.

Running KSP on a mid 2010 iMac 27 with Yosemite, for those interested.

Seems I can say goodbye to KSP / Boot Camp.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been more than two weeks since I modified my install per the original post and I've yet to have a single crash. I've added about a half dozen mods on top of the twelve I was already running...  no problem! This hack has made KSP so much more enjoyable, it's almost beyond words. I just docked a couple of craft at my asteroid station in Kerbin orbit bringing the part count to 519! The frame rate was less that stellar, but it was quite playable.  I'm sending some well deserved rep points to Alpha 188 for posting this workaround.

On January 15, 2016 at 5:11 AM, Gozer said:

Quick reply to share my experience.

Followed to the letter the instructions in the opening post and my previously unplayable modded install of KSP 1.0.5 seems now more stable than its Windows counterpart.

Running KSP on a mid 2010 iMac 27 with Yosemite, for those interested.

Seems I can say goodbye to KSP / Boot Camp.

28 minutes ago, MachTurtle said:

It's been more than two weeks since I modified my install per the original post and I've yet to have a single crash. I've added about a half dozen mods on top of the twelve I was already running...  no problem! This hack has made KSP so much more enjoyable, it's almost beyond words. I just docked a couple of craft at my asteroid station in Kerbin orbit bringing the part count to 519! The frame rate was less that stellar, but it was quite playable.  I'm sending some well deserved rep points to Alpha 188 for posting this workaround.

Same here on a early 2008 iMac with El Capitan OS. It's been awesome!

5 hours ago, MachTurtle said:

The 64bit Mac hack is a huge improvement to the user experience, both in terms of the incredible stability improvement, and also by enabling mods to be enjoyed more throughly. At last count, I have 115 mods installed including all of the USI and NearFuture mods, KSPI, and SpaceY parts packs.

My main problem now is that it takes up to 5 minutes for the game to boot up (2014 MBP/512GB PCIe SSD)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since installing this on January 13 KSP has not crashed once, including a several-hour long session with multiple switching back-and-forth between the VAB and on-orbit craft.  Kudos Alpha 188!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.