Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

I'd like to see a cold planet that was broken in half in the past and now it's just a half planet. Not round, but half round half a chaotic mess. And the other half could be orbiting in a lower/ higher orbit with different athmospheric/heat properties.

why would it be hell or right because for ppl not having a clue how to play and need ask how to in the forums well when the game gets to the stage of adding more planets i think the game will be something to hand to a 7 yr old and they will be able to learn how to get anywhere without the need of a forum or outside intervention

if you want to play multiplayer eg have a group of ppl you can ether keep the default codex eg kerbal 1A | kerbal 1B, 1 | kerbal 1C, 1, 2 | kerbal 1D, 1 | etc etc or have the same name as everyone else for the dif planets

70% of ppl that play this game probs dont sit in the forums and often dont even call the planets by there names even scott manley messes up and calls kerbin earth and duna mars etc so... does it truly matter about having default set names

and if they ever deside to have seeds etc that make dif systems will you honestly stick to the default seed ... i know i sure wont be im bord iv been everywhere and seen everything so far in the current system ... to a point where i just mess around wile i wait for a new challenge someone has made up

How about "hot jupiter" type planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter

Something so close that it woudl be leaving trace of evaporating atmosphere.

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/PlanetAtmosphereLoss_m_0702.jpg

Or some rocky planet with atmosphere, with same contitions as hot jupiters. It woudl be tidally locked so one side woudl be super hot and one super cold. So in order not to melt your ship or freeze it, you woudl have to land in terminator area that woudl have some more moderate conditions. But such temperature difference between two sides of the plnet woudl generate extremly high winds, making landing extra challenging.

Some cooling/shield system for spaceship coudl be also implented, because planet woudl be so close to the sun that its light woudl dangerously overheat spacecraft. Like in sunshine movie.

Or something different. Planet covered completly by ocean? In order to land on it (and escape from it) one woudl have to use some floating lander.

I would also suggest a couple of comets to rendezvous with to study on.

Definitely this.

(Big, elliptical orbits getting close to Kerbol - imagine assembling a small base on a comet as it swoops into the inner system, getting a close-up view of Kerbol then leaving before it crawls back out to the Kuiper belt...)

Easy to add to the universe without messing up existing planets, plus could look splendid from across the system if they had tails on some kind. Surface particle systems getting more active as things start warming up? Ooh.

Another star system, with one planet with no moons.

Kirrim's Star (Here's to you, Danny.)

Bichblol

-It's a gas giant that looks like a Beach Ball!

-It's at an extreme tilt, like the IRL planet Uranus.

Fipa

Natural Satellite of Bichblol

-A captured asteroid Moon, may be only cool to add a base or colony on it.

Jebediah

-Woo! Jebediah Kerman gets a moon named after him!

-Pretty mountainous, but the mountains on this moon are not as great as Pol.

-Really deep craters and depressions, too.

Vulci

-It's like the IRL moon Io.

-Various volcanoes, lava lakes and lava rivers scar the surface.

-Craters welled up with lava would make some cool features on the surface.

More coming soon.

Edited by Sylandro
Moons? Nobody told me about moons.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pointing out, Rings == death in terms of Orbits.

As far as density is concerned, Saturn's B ring is between the density of cork and water, no, not the debris items are that dense, the entire thing is that dense, running through them with a 1-meter-wide box of a ship involves hitting a 5 tonne pile of ice at orbital velocity, which could be anywhere from 0 to 30,000 meters per second depending on how you hit.

For a random intercept, you would probably have around 21 km/s difference in velocity, and actually be 7 tonnes of ice you are hitting, not 5 as previously stated.

Forget surviving the G-force, your ship would be incinerated, tonne for tonne, your ship basically is equivalent to a fast-moving asteroid. The yield of the impact could be as high as 1.5 terajoules per meter squared, comparable to 50 years of sunlight in under a millisecond, no ship could survive this, in fact, it is enough to completely disintigrate moons up to 820 kilometers wide with the same density as a typical asteroid.

If you want an idea of what running into a ring at a highly inclined angle is like, think of sitting on a smallish nuclear bomb as it goes off. It wouldn't matter that it is all loose ice, you'd be vaporized, and you'd probably vaporize anyone within a few kilometers as well if you had a very big ship.

I think mabye squad should try to implement a second solar system. I saw a documentary about alien life on Discovery the other day and it was about the possibility of life to emerge in solar system with completely diffrent chemical compositions. Then bacteria made out of metal.

Now I'm not saying that I want alien life, but I'm thinking planets with atmosphere's of vaporized salt and oceans made of mercury. It could bring a whole new set of challenges with it.

that ring thing would be cool tho something to avoid

if they made it using dif density atmospheres in a ring it might make the atmosphere effect eg scatter with non physical rock textures when you hit it your ship would rip apart the re entry effects would make it look awsome too

might be something worth testing see if the engine can support it .... rather than trying to build rings of rocks that would kill a computer just mod something that already works well a breaking ships and creating nice glowing propertys like the atmosphere

If the ring is really as deadly as you say maybe they can implement it as a solid disc around the planet, similar to how they do terrain.

It gets a collision mesh so if you hit it you die.

They can re-texture it just like the land.

The problem I would see here is if you tried to look through the rings in thin spots. I'm not sure if that would work or not.

A very thin atmosphere on Eeloo would be fitting indeed ... ! Maximum density maybe about 2% of that of Kerbin (Duna has 20%) and on the surface you'd see a faint haze on the horizon. The Neptunian moon Triton also has a minimal atmosphere that probably causes some visible effects when looking at the horizon.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2014 to y'all. Now that version 0.25 has been released, we're able to travel to another star system. After a lot of trouble I managed to reach Proxa, a red dwarf star at 0.2 lightyears from the Sun (Kerbol) and decided to visit Sehera, a hot planet orbiting close to its parent star (0,9 to 1,3 million km). Gravity is 8,22 m/s and atmosphere thickness varies between 1,1 bar at the highest mountains and 3,8 on the low and intensely hot flatlands. Not as difficult to ascend from as from Eve, but due to the heat (I measured 319°C at 440 meter) engines overheat quickly.

Also love the 'hot air animation' that has been implemented:

11aa2bq.png

What? Right now, KSP is at 0.22. There is no new solar system.

What? Right now, KSP is at 0.22. There is no new solar system.

WARNING You may lose your jaw

This guy has done it

He has also figured out how to make rings for planets

Edited by Dooz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.