Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)

This idea I love. You could have landing pads in the vacuum and use rovers to ferry stuff down into the atmosphere and back up again. Very cool concept.

no idea for a name, but i'd like to see a small, high gravity, perfectly smooth planet or moon. it would be pretty boring for rovers but it would let spacecraft do some insane slingshots, imagine an orbit with the periapsis few a few meters above the ground.

I have my own concepts and ideas.

Talaoon: A gas giant that's about the same size as Jool. It has visible, large rings that orbit the planet. Of course, Talaoon has it's own moon system:

-Maxmus: A polar opposite of Minmus, with the same gravity as Eve, has an atmosphere, has a very big gravity well, and has seas of fire with black rock plateaus. Contact with sea of lava = same as contact with Kerbol. The largest moon and the closest, too.

-Minthay: A ocean dwarf planet, with only two somewhat small islands.

-Eeloo: Of course, there's plans for it to become a part of a Gas Giant moon system, so why not? Fourth closest.

-Goliyu: The second smallest moon, and the third closest, with a surface similar to Laythe, except no atmosphere, white ground, purple seas (So it looks like Eve...to truly confuse peope) and a Sphere of Influence that can overlap with Maxmus at a certain alignment.

Colossiod: Analog to Titan, with a supervolcano at the north pole that, if it erupts, makes the atmosphere very hot and everything will begin to overheat. Supervolcano erupts every 72 in-game hours. Blue surface, atmosphere, large fissures.

I also have the idea for the Kerbol system to be surrounded by a massive asteroid belt similar to the Kupier belt, and makes it so, until more solar systems are added, cannot let you escape. Of course there will be a lot of asteroids with gravity wells, meaning if you get far enough away from Kerbol's SOI, you will hit the belt and have the craft destroyed. If you somehow get past there, instant Kraken attack.

Edited by Shinji-The-Kerbonaut

I want to see volcanic moons and laythe-like (say that 3 times fast :P) moons, but with more land and maybe not sand-like terrain. Also, I can't wait for the bigger gas giant!

One question, Nova, do you plan to have the asteroid belt past Jool, or like our own system, before all the gas giants?

Edit: I also hope that we get a Neptune analog, smaller gas giant and BLUE, lots of blue.

Edited by ngianoplus

I have my own concepts and ideas.

Talaoon: A gas giant that's about the same size as Jool. It has visible, large rings that orbit the planet. Of course, Talaoon has it's own moon system:

-Maxmus: A polar opposite of Minmus, with the same gravity as Eve, has an atmosphere, has a very big gravity well, and has seas of fire with black rock plateaus. Contact with sea of lava = same as contact with Kerbol. The largest moon and the closest, too.

-Minthay: A ocean dwarf planet, with only two somewhat small islands.

-Eeloo: Of course, there's plans for it to become a part of a Gas Giant moon system, so why not? Fourth closest.

-Goliyu: The second smallest moon, and the third closest, with a surface similar to Laythe, except no atmosphere, white ground, purple seas (So it looks like Eve...to truly confuse peope) and a Sphere of Influence that can overlap with Maxmus at a certain alignment.

Colossiod: Analog to Titan, with a supervolcano at the north pole that, if it erupts, makes the atmosphere very hot and everything will begin to overheat. Supervolcano erupts every 72 in-game hours. Blue surface, atmosphere, large fissures.

I also have the idea for the Kerbol system to be surrounded by a massive asteroid belt similar to the Kupier belt, and makes it so, until more solar systems are added, cannot let you escape. Of course there will be a lot of asteroids with gravity wells, meaning if you get far enough away from Kerbol's SOI, you will hit the belt and have the craft destroyed. If you somehow get past there, instant Kraken attack.

All right, I'm working on some concept art for my ideas. Here's Talaoon:

ZcQUOmU.png

I might split my ideas into a thread in Fanworks.

The one thing I would really like to see is a Titan analogue. Low gravity and lots of atmosphere. Also a volcanic one, IIRC there will possibly be a superhot hell-world as the first planet of the system even closer to the sun than Moho eventually.

I do agree that the current planets and moons could use more detail to them but AFAIK that's on the agenda for the devs, so there's no need to panic. So they'll get around to it, Nova said that he wants to add cryvolcanos/geysers on Eeloo for example. There are also rings (the second gas giant is supposed to have rings), clouds, asteroid belts and other bits that fall into the "hopefully one day" category.

I know your post is old but did you know that the closest planet to the sun is not always the hottest? Maybe in KSP it is but in real life, It's not mercury, but venus. Because Venus has a athmossphere that traps the heat inside.

I'd love to see Rogue Planets that are randomly generated, named, and placed going in and out of the Kerbol system at very high velocities (like every few thousands of years to not make them frequent). They would also go their own paths, which may or may not cause even more difficulity going to deep space (past Dres).

Think about heading to Jool, when you pick up a rogue planet coming right for you.

For ones that don't know, Rogue Planets are planets that are ejected from their parent systems, and wonder aimlessly through space. NASA has been concerned about one of them entering our system and causing Earth to get knocked out of the habitable zone. Luckily, none have done so.

Edited by Benie

Some planets for the future of KSP...

Or something.

Colinder: Orbits a red dwarf, tidally locked with it.

It has deserts at the hot pole and glaciers at the cold pole.

It doesn't have life because all the water is locked at the cold pole.

The terrain is quite boring, there are only flat, duney deserts with occasional fissures.

Gravity is that of Eve, and atmosphere is that of Laythe.

Also, it has a crater that spans 1/3 of the planet.

Conclusion: not a nice place to live on.

Derivel: Duna rip, orbits the same star as Colinder.

Has a slow rotation period.

Gastru: Neptunian, orbits the same red dwarf as the other two.

It has yellow clouds that resemble peanut butter.

Also, it has three moons, the round one's Nikty: AKA deh mun dat is maid o hunny(actually phosphorous or its KSP equivalent).

The other two are Nanbre and Jegly, and they look like lumps of foodstuff.

Bonus points for guessing what looks like what.

Conclusion: My mouth is watering, it seems.

Or something.

The terrain is quite boring, there are only flat, duney deserts with occasional fissures.

Also, it has three moons, the round one's Nikty: AKA deh mun dat is maid o hunny(actually phosphorous or its KSP equivalent).

These planets have almost zero industrial value because of their utter lack of resources.

I know your post is old but did you know that the closest planet to the sun is not always the hottest? Maybe in KSP it is but in real life, It's not mercury, but venus. Because Venus has a athmossphere that traps the heat inside.

If you get close enough, you can get hellworlds without atmospheres.

Atmospheres help, though.

Id really like them to do more with the planets we have now. mineral sample, atmospheric analysis, interesting terrain(kerbbain?) features, clouds, underwater features (and exploration), TIDES! we must have tides! I'd love to find life, I know the devs said no aliens but hoping they were thinking "little green men" not "bacteria living in hot springs".

I'd like a Blue gas giant, and it looks like lots of others do too.

I think a "dead" planet would be pretty cool. A barren world that has a crater like, 1/8th to 1/4th its total size, due to being struck by an enormous asteroid milennia ago, surrounded by dozens, (hundreds?) of peices of debris.

Kind of this thing going on:

editor2009041501540829.jpg

- Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)

- Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.

- Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.

- More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations (ex. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

I quite like the look of Vall, but I only went to the north pole, and it was already quite rough there. And I think I speak for many when I ask for not every island on Laythe to be terribly volcanic (So you can look and pick one that looks less volcanic.)(But of course, you're the one making this game.) I like the sound of moonlets around Jool, and the idea of a fluffy moon. Would this be soft fluffy, or rocky fluffy?

A small moon that rotates so quickly the gravity on the equator is just barely strong enough to keep objects on the ground. Stationary orbit would be just a few km above the surface and the equator would be visibly bulging out.

The resulting mechanics would be pretty interesting. Driving a rover on the equator cannot be done in the direction of rotation (else you'd end up in orbit). You'd have big Coriolis forces when driving north or south and you could build space elevators/towers on the equator's peaks.

I'd love to see Rogue Planets that are randomly generated, named, and placed going in and out of the Kerbol system at very high velocities (like every few thousands of years to not make them frequent). They would also go their own paths, which may or may not cause even more difficulity going to deep space (past Dres).

Think about heading to Jool, when you pick up a rogue planet coming right for you.

For ones that don't know, Rogue Planets are planets that are ejected from their parent systems, and wonder aimlessly through space. NASA has been concerned about one of them entering our system and causing Earth to get knocked out of the habitable zone. Luckily, none have done so.

If a rogue planet disturbed our orbit, making us loose orbit around the sun or just go farther wouldnt be that bad, if i do believe our planets atmosphere will trap heat for a long time and even if the heat went away, volvanos or other geo points on earth could warm the planet a little bit, also ocean vents could warm the water deep down below just enough for life to still happen in the depths of the ocean.

557283_556046301126516_1432736605_n.jpg

Or something.

Would this By Anychance Be Close to what your thinkin of? i made this in 5 minutes, im in a hurry to go somewhere

Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2014 to y'all. Now that version 0.25 has been released, we're able to travel to another star system. After a lot of trouble I managed to reach Proxa, a red dwarf star at 0.2 lightyears from the Sun (Kerbol) and decided to visit Sehera, a hot planet orbiting close to its parent star (0,9 to 1,3 million km). Gravity is 8,22 m/s and atmosphere thickness varies between 1,1 bar at the highest mountains and 3,8 on the low and intensely hot flatlands. Not as difficult to ascend from as from Eve, but due to the heat (I measured 319°C at 440 meter) engines overheat quickly.

Also love the 'hot air animation' that has been implemented:

11aa2bq.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.