KGSS: Determining Composition of Minmus surface

The Kerbin Geographic and Science Society (KGSS) is a casual and open society of volunteers that like to inject a little bit of real life science into the Kerbal Space Program. Exploding rockets and designing bizarre planes is fun but once you learn basic rocket design and orbital mechanics you may feel the urge to do something more purposeful. For those looking for a mission with a reason, or a reason to do a mission, the KGSS invites you to attempt the below hypothetical mission:

Penetrate the ice on the Minmus surface with a high-kinetic impact probe

The KGSS wishes to understand the physical and chemical properties of the ice that covers the Minmus. Countless probes and rovers have been sent to the surface for samples but the KGSS requires a high-kinetic impact probe to get under the surface so KGSS scientists can determine the properties of the ice and what\'s below the ice.

This requires a delicate orbital maneuvering: it needs to be rammed at high speed ... with THIS:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14780.0;attach=23842;image

Actually, you can use any ship you like, but the tip of the craft contains a KGSS designed probe with re-enforcing that is designed to impact the surface at high speed. The impact is designed to fracture the hard icy surface, penetrate below the ice and to throw ice shards high into the Minmus \'atmosphere\'. The craft is not expected to survive. Use an unmanned pod if you like. ;)

The KGSS intends to learn a lot about the impact:

- the size of the impact provides data on the structure or hardness of the ice

- the amount of debris dislodged provides data on the weight of the ice (does it fall or \'float\')

- radio telescopes focused on the debris will help the KGSS determine the chemical composition of the ice

- the ice shards dissolving or not will provide information on freezing points and its natural state (solid or gas)

In the unlikely event the impact crater is deep, the KGSS can determine if there is liquid under the ice and if there is a chance of life under the surface.

To be of maximum value, the mission must use the specially designed probe for impact (a standard aircraft tail connector). You can design any craft you like to booster, reach Minmus, then accelerate to a maximum velocity before impact. The faster you impact - the more debris will be scattered and the more data can be collected by the KGSS.

Report your impact speed here (it will be in your mission debrief) and the KGSS can compare observations.

Well that was pretty fun, thanks for putting this out there. I didn\'t accomplish nearly the impact velocity you two have, but I only sent up a small 'unmanned' rocket for proof of concept. For my first attempt, I ended up with an impact velocity of 2512 m/s.

JustBeforeImpact.png

AfterActionReport.png

I, too, managed to pass straight through minmus. Velocity at 'impact' was around 8260 m/s. I believe we can conclude that Minmus is composed of a shear-thinning non-Newtonian fluid, which behaves as a solid under most conditions, but which presents extremely low viscosity when confronted with extremely high shear forces. The engineering applications of this remarkable material would be astounding, and I therefore highly recommend we begin regular mining operations immediately.

Antiquark, why don\'t you impact it with a Saturn V?

The Saturn V is to heavy to use with the mechjeb TRANS function... to get it to Minmus is a long, hard process!

Also, it\'s so heavy, I don\'t think it would accelerate much before crashing into Minmus, even if I got it there.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.