[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

51 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yep, subtle is better. It's just a random noise filter in a bump map. Stupidly simplistic, but it helps,

I've never thought about doing that! I always use a 'real' texture to try to make foam, and I always kinda have to play with it to make it work.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

LOL, sorry! :) Don't let me stop you though. Seriously. More part variation is never a bad thing.

Heh don't be. I only do stuff for pParts. I was just kidding since I literally have been working on the same texture for a while. :D

21 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

Remaining questions: How large is the S-IE, compared to the S-IB? Based on this image, it seems there's 2 versions of the 1C. Is the orange tank version using an S-IF first stage? Why the larger stage/orange tank? This image seems to refer to vehicles which use this stage as "Saturn Multibody," whereas the former one only refers to multi-core designs as Multibody. What's up with this? Also, what are the upper stages on these vehicles?

Now these I can answer right off the top of my head. The S-IE is roughly (note the word) the same size as the S-IB, that is the Saturn IB's first stage; it works out that one F-1A has roughly the same sea-level thrust as eight H-1s, so the stages end up being roughly the same size (this is why we went with this even though using the F-1A and introducing a new lower stage were extremely unlikely in reality). The F-1A does have a rather higher ISP, though, so you end up with more payload.

Now, you ask about the two versions of the Saturn IC. That vehicle is replaced in the 1980s, in our timeline, by a modified version called the Saturn Multibody which incorporates a number of design revisions to further increase payload, including the ability to add boosters, both solids (which are shown in the second image you link) and liquid cores (which are shown in both). The positioning of the words in the first image makes it appear that the Saturn IC designation might encompass both single-core boosters, but in fact it only describes the original version, which might be called the 'all-white' version (as we've been discussing). 

The upper stages on the vehicles are all versions of the S-IVB, though modified to use a J-2S (also enabling more payload). The multi-core versions of the Multibody also have the option to use a new upper stage called the S-IVC, which is the same diameter as the S-IVB (hence, as Nathan notes, could use the same tooling) but stretched to 'fill the thrust' and equipped with a second J-2S for increased thrust/weight ratio. This provides a major payload boost compared to using the S-IVB on such a large lower stage as the multi-core versions possess. There are also two prominent optional third stages; all versions may be equipped with what is essentially a Centaur-G (in terms of size) for beyond-Earth-orbit payloads, while the heavier versions of the multi body might be equipped with a Pegasus stage, which is essentially a new version of the S-IV or a '90s version of ACES, depending on your perspective, and used for large lunar payloads. Hypothetically it would probably be possible to build a four-stage vehicle using these two upper stages (or beyond, if you threw in solid kick stages), but this has not actually been done and would require a new fairing to actually fit payloads on the rocket.

3 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Looking good, fam. Whenever I suggested ETS stuff I didn't realize you'd get to it so quickly. :P

Did you make the separate F1a for the Saturn Ic or is that the standard Saturn V F1?

Yeah, I dove in pretty quickly. :) I wasn't sure what I wanted to work on next, and these rockets required a very small number of parts, which was appealing.

It's still the standard F-1, but it's the upgraded version from later in the Apollo program, since it changed a bit over those few years. I'm tempted to leave it that way in the base mod, and allow for the RealFuels configs to supply the upgrade path (since I think it has that capability, yes?). The F-1B actually looks different, so I didn't mind modeling it separately.

Just now, NecroBones said:

Yeah, I dove in pretty quickly. :) I wasn't sure what I wanted to work on next, and these rockets required a very small number of parts, which was appealing.

It's still the standard F-1, but it's the upgraded version from later in the Apollo program, since it changed a bit over those few years. I'm tempted to leave it that way in the base mod, and allow for the RealFuels configs to supply the upgrade path (since I think it has that capability, yes?). The F-1B actually looks different, so I didn't mind modeling it separately.

The F-1B that you've modeled is designed to be the Pyrios booster style, right?

2 minutes ago, MainSailor said:

The F-1B that you've modeled is designed to be the Pyrios booster style, right?

Yup, that's the one. But of course, all of the RSB engines are only loosely modeled around the originals. I take a lot of license and simplify quite a lot here (obviously). :)

OK, I'll let people start playing with some of the new parts:

0.7 (2016-03-06) - Fictional update, and Tweaks.
 - Converted ISRO PSLV textures to DDS.
 - Added a nose cone for the 2.8m ISRO PSLV, for converting its lower stages for use as strap-ons.
 - Added ISRO PSLV parts to the custom menu tab, and FilterExtensions tabs.
 - Added Saturn S-IVC, S-IE, & S-IF stage tanks, and second 6.6m nose cone, to enable the fictional Saturn 1C/Multibody (Eyes Turned Skyward).
 - Added Castor 120 solid rocket motor, plus ETS Carrack parts (decouplers, fairings, boattail, nose cone, etc).
 - Added flag decal to Saturn S-IVB tank.
 - Added a simplistic normal-map to the STS (shuttle) ET texture (also used by new fictional Saturn tanks).
 - Added surface attachable monopropellant spheres.

I wanted to get that 0.7 update out by the end of the weekend since I'm starting a new college course again this week (it's been way too long), and I'll probably have to slow down a bit on the modding. I think for most of my other mods, I'm going to consider them to be in a release "freeze" until KSP 1.1 hits, since they'll probably need a lot of updates. This one is more in active development though, so it'll depend on what I feel like working on here. ;)

7 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

Hmm... just what I need for my next next video. I'll wait till 1.1 rolls by though.

Glad you like it! :)

4 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@NecroBonesis it feasible to separate the Agena D Flight Pack from the rest of the stack? It would make early Agena versions (with shorter main tank bodies) easier to achieve without making the model look squashed.

Like I did with the DCSSs? Yep, I can do that. I can also consider putting together an Agena-A at some point too.

6 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Oh, you know you want to.

Are you going to do the Ares V? You've already got all of the engines, you just need the first stage tank, the second stage tank, and the engine mount.

Possibly. Whenever something just needs a few additional pieces, I'm usually pretty amenable to adding it. I absolutely love dual-purposing the parts in the pack. :) I have a little surprise cooking too. Something small, but I think it'll be fun.

@NecroBones I love this pack and think you've done a wonderful job even in this early stage. I am excited to see how this pack develops as time goes on.

I would like to suggest one thing. As this pack has grown I have started thinking about other mods I might be able to remove in an effort to save performance. I run a huge amount of mods for my historical play-through in RP-0/RSS/RO (Close to 80 mods I believe).  This pack is very close to allowing me to remove the CMES (Chaka Monkey) and FASA mod. EDIT: And the Soviet Engine pack

You've done a simply amazing job with these parts and I don't mean to suggest more work. I  guess I am just hoping you had plans for maybe the CSM, LEM, and such. I think that would just about clear up FASA. 

Again, awesome job! 

Edited by gonzo98x

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Like I did with the DCSSs? Yep, I can do that. I can also consider putting together an Agena-A at some point too.

Exactly! Since you have already made the parts for the Agena D version, creating the A and B variants would be a piece of cake (just a shorter propellant tank that it is either a rescaled model of the D variant or a new model).

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I have a little surprise cooking too. Something small, but I think it'll be fun.

Surprise! :)

KSP%202016-03-08%2011-56-25-11.jpg

It's not actually done yet, and still needs the correct first-stage engine, but I had enough completed to take a good screenshot. I only started on that yesterday. Since the parts could work from existing textures (mostly) and I could rework a lot of bits from the Delta IV, it's a relatively quick addition.

3 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

I would very much enjoy an Atlas. The FASA/RO one is so fun to fly for some reason. 

Small...?

Well, small-ish, in relative terms. The Delta III is more of medium-lift vehicle. ;)

3 hours ago, gonzo98x said:

I would like to suggest one thing. As this pack has grown I have started thinking about other mods I might be able to remove in an effort to save performance. I run a huge amount of mods for my historical play-through in RP-0/RSS/RO (Close to 80 mods I believe).  This pack is very close to allowing me to remove the CMES (Chaka Monkey) and FASA mod. EDIT: And the Soviet Engine pack

You've done a simply amazing job with these parts and I don't mean to suggest more work. I  guess I am just hoping you had plans for maybe the CSM, LEM, and such. I think that would just about clear up FASA. 

Again, awesome job! 

Thanks, glad you like it! Yeah, some of the payload parts, and so on, are possible, but I don't know where I'll go yet.

38 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Exactly! Since you have already made the parts for the Agena D version, creating the A and B variants would be a piece of cake (just a shorter propellant tank that it is either a rescaled model of the D variant or a new model).

Yep, I have the Agena-D split into two pieces (in the config) for the next update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.