[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

20 minutes ago, popeter45 said:

does anybody know a stock cfg for these parts

if not is it ok to think for a stock config i should just 0.64 all the scale/fuel value?

No overall stock config yet. Some folks in the thread played around with some scaling, but I don't think we have anything distributable right now. Sure, you could scale things like that. I don't know how well it'll be balanced though.

I'll probably make a stock-alike rebalancer at some point, but no ETA on that.

I decided to go ahead and get this one out. It's a small update, but with a very large rocket. :) Really it's only three new parts, and the sample rocket for the Saturn C-8.

0.9 (2016-03-18) - Update.
 - Removed the remaining deprecated RCS config from the Delta III first stage tank's part CFG.
 - Added Saturn S-II-8 and S-IC-8 stages, and associated decoupler, to enable making Saturn C-8 (Nova). 
 - Added Saturn C-8 sample rocket.

Huh, more people are downloading 0.8.1 than 0.9 from ksp.necrobones.com. I wonder why that is?

EDIT: The logs on my server show the referral as coming from this thread, but I updated the link to point to 0.9, so I'm not sure how that's happening. I forgot to update the thread title apparently, so that's fixed now.

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Huh, more people are downloading 0.8.1 than 0.9 from ksp.necrobones.com. I wonder why that is?

EDIT: The logs on my server show the referral as coming from this thread, but I updated the link to point to 0.9, so I'm not sure how that's happening. I forgot to update the thread title apparently, so that's fixed now.

So the old version downloads are continuing occasionally throughout the day, and still show the previous thread title in the referral, and always come in sets of 4 downloads. Each set of 4 downloads has the same IP within the group, but the IP is different for each group. All of the IPs are either in China specifically, or from APNIC in general. Why does the weird network activity always seem to come from Asia?

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Why does the weird network activity always seem to come from Asia?

No clue.  I've banned countless people on the forums I run, and they're all from Russia, Ukraine, or some place in China.  I guess they're just really efficient at writing bots. ;)

3 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

The Saturn Multibody textures are a bit off. The orange part is meant to run all the way down to the bottom, or something like the Multibody in this photo

It was decided that only the oxidizer portion of the tank needed to have the foam insulation, as kerosene isn't cryogenic. 

There was a big discussion about this a few pages back. :P

Hi I'm playing ksp in career mode using community tech tree. I've unlocked all parts in tree. But it still says that the SRM decouplers are missing. Also in Sandbox mod I've this problem. In this pictures i think the decouplers are the white ones connects main stage with boosters. That part is missing LAnDl0.jpg

5 hours ago, berkekrkn said:

Hi I'm playing ksp in career mode using community tech tree. I've unlocked all parts in tree. But it still says that the SRM decouplers are missing. Also in Sandbox mod I've this problem. In this pictures i think the decouplers are the white ones connects main stage with boosters. That part is missing 

Actually there's nothing in there with that exact name. The white decouplers you see on that rocket are currently named "GEM-60 Decoupling Kit" (which I should change since they're being used for everything).  Is it giving you that message with all of the RSB sample rockets? The "experimental parts" thing usually refers to parts that just haven't been unlocked in the tech tree yet.

Are you using Realism Overhaul? It might have changed the name, and it may have typoed the tech node assignment.

@berkekrkn. I just also tried it with RO, and everything still looks OK. It does indeed get renamed "SRM Decoupling Kit", but I don't see it missing. I'm thinking you have another mod that's interacting with it, or still have a tech node to unlock. Can you upload a copy of your KSP.log file somewhere so I can try to see what's modifying it? And can you double check your R&D building to make sure you didn't miss a tech node?

9 hours ago, Uace24 said:

Hey I love this mod but the GEM 60 SRM burn time is a little off It is suposed to be 90 seconds but in this mod it goes for over 90 seconds can you fix that thanks.

I use the best data I can usually find for thrust, propellant mass, and ISP. Unfortunately the numbers out there don't always perfectly line up, particularly since solid propellant rockets tend to have a highly variable thrust profile. The "thrust" number we use is often either the average thrust, or peak thrust, or somewhere in between, so the burn duration suffers since we're not able to replicate the complexity of how that thrust is supposed to change during that burn time. If you want that functionality, it can come from Real Fuels (if the configs have been set up that way), which I don't control.

If you want accurate numbers check spaceflight 101 

13 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I use the best data I can usually find for thrust, propellant mass, and ISP. Unfortunately the numbers out there don't always perfectly line up, particularly since solid propellant rockets tend to have a highly variable thrust profile. The "thrust" number we use is often either the average thrust, or peak thrust, or somewhere in between, so the burn duration suffers since we're not able to replicate the complexity of how that thrust is supposed to change during that burn time. If you want that functionality, it can come from Real Fuels (if the configs have been set up that way), which I don't control.

14 hours ago, NecroBones said:

See here for detailed thrust curve and specs of the GEM-60: https://www.orbitalatk.com/flight-systems/propulsion-systems/GEM-strapon-booster-system/docs/orbital_atk_motor_catalog_%282012%29.pdf

And yeah generally spaceflight101 is a great source too, but you know that already I guess. ;)

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

Yes, that's one of the sites I use.

EDIT:  @Kartoffelkuchen, @Uace24  Just as an FYI, the numbers I have on it are already pretty close to Spaceflight101's, but if I use theirs precisely, the burn time will be even longer, since they show about 200 kg more propellant and slightly lower thrust. I could do that, but it's the opposite of what you're asking for. ;)

No ETA on the Sea Dragon (and it will be a separate download, I'm sure). But I have the first stage tank stubbed out. That is, no details, no texture, just the rough outline. This gives an idea of the scale of this monster, and how much fuel it uses.

EDIT: Replaced images with stock-alike configs

KSP%202016-03-20%2019-57-52-60.jpg

KSP%202016-03-20%2019-58-23-78.jpg

12000 tons, and that's just the first stage fuel load.

Something that just occurred to me is the upper stage might be one of those super low TWR impossible to fly ones. I know it doesn't burn for more than 6 minutes, but the first stage is only about 50% of the rocket's mass, meaning they squeezed a lot out of the upper stage. (For reference, the Saturn V first stage was about 70% of the rocket's mass)

I didn't notice at first that I had Interstellar Fuel Switch and CryoEngines messing with things in my test environment (I simply forgot that I installed a bunch of things for a different test). I've updated the screenshots above with a more stock-like setting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.