[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

That's why i proposed these launch vehicles: for the Athena, the only things that needs modelling are the Castor-30 (a smaller variant of the Castor-120) and the OAM (Orbit Adjust Module). If you want to be perfectionist, then you could also include the payload fairing.

The Minotaur would be a bit more tricky (and not recommended over other LVs), requiring a new Castor-120 conical interstage, the Orion 50 SRM, the Star 37/FM, along with all the other adapters/interstages/decouplers.

Necro I have a crazy idea and you're the only one who will listen.

So while watching SciShow Space on YouTube they talked about a colony idea on Venus proposed by  NASA. But not on the surface. In the sky! Yup cloud city.

OK where am I going with this? I don't even know if this is possible but if it is I know you can do it. Here's the crazy idea. Can you create some sort of inflatable balloon that can hover on Eve and stay in the air supporting some amount of weight? My thoughts about how this would work are thus, we have an inflatable heatshield so the animation is in game sort of. Can you make something that looks like a balloon but has a TWR of 1.0 at a certain height carrying a set weight and give it infinite fuel?

I say this because I don't think (or know) if its possible to create an actual balloon that can rise with ksp physics. Since eve has thick dense atmo, even earth air would rise on eve. 

So to compenate, it would be a balloon type structure that has thrust just for the sake of staying afloat and infinite fuel to support the balloon idea but with a very strict weight limit. Say that 4 kerbal can thing.

What do you think? Its certainly different!

Athena is coming along:

KSP%202016-04-07%2022-39-41-32.jpg

On 4/7/2016 at 9:19 PM, gonzo98x said:

I don't even know if this is possible but if it is I know you can do it. Here's the crazy idea. Can you create some sort of inflatable balloon that can hover on Eve and stay in the air supporting some amount of weight?

I'm not sure. I think there's a mod that adds some balloon capabilities, but I don't think the stock aerodynamics support buoyancy like that. It would be interesting to investigate though!

On 4/7/2016 at 8:19 PM, gonzo98x said:

I say this because I don't think (or know) if its possible to create an actual balloon that can rise with ksp physics. 

Your method is possible to a certain degree... only problem is you'd have to land the vessel before you could go do anything else. 

1 hour ago, VenomousRequiem said:

The nozzle on the Castor 30 looks a bit off. In real life it's a straight, vacuum optimized nozzle, not a bell shaped like you have it.

Looks good, though!

I have been reworking it a bit, but also keep in mind that there are some variants of the Castor 30, and the Athena uses the shorter, non-extended version.

KSP%202016-04-08%2013-24-21-68.jpg

Updated:

(Still works in 1.0.5, except for the included copy of ModuleManager, and newly updated sample rockets won't load)

0.10 (2016-04-10) - Update + KSP 1.1 readiness.
 - Renamed the radial decoupler "SRM Decoupling Kit" to be more generic than "GEM-60 Decoupling Kit".
 - Added URLs to the README.
 - Deprecated & disabled the "default custom tab" for the VAB/SPH menus.
    - Config file renamed to ".txt" ("RealScaleBoosters/Category/CustomCategory.txt").
    - Can be renamed back to ".cfg" if you want to experiment with it.
    - Will no longer be maintained, due to improvements in the VAB search options.
 - Added search tags to many parts.
 - Added Athena parts (and sample rockets), utilizing the existing Castor 120 stages.

NecroBones. Just wanted to say I really appreciate what you are doing here. Realistic Boosters. Built at real scale, but 'light' in texture/model so that performance doesn't have to suffer more than it should.

After all. Most/All of these are 'expendable' anyway.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

1 hour ago, StoryMusgrave said:

NecroBones. Just wanted to say I really appreciate what you are doing here. Realistic Boosters. Built at real scale, but 'light' in texture/model so that performance doesn't have to suffer more than it should.

After all. Most/All of these are 'expendable' anyway.

Yep, that's the goal. :)  Glad you like it!

29 minutes ago, Uace24 said:

Hey  I love this mod but I would like to see some stock configs or a stocke verson relised and I also would like the Delta II in the mod is that posible at all?

Yeah, the Delta II is something I'm still keeping in mind. I'm part of the way there with the Delta III already, so it probably wouldn't be hard. Stock configs are still being planned. I'm trying to make some decisions about how to balance it.

9 minutes ago, StoryMusgrave said:

NecroBones: Playing along with things I noticed there is a config for a J-2T, but because there is no model file, it doesn't show up. Missing something somewhere or just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Yep, just hadn't gotten to it. I stubbed it out and then didn't make it yet.

KSP%202016-04-11%2019-45-58-65.jpg

Started on Delta II, since it won't need that many additional parts. The upper stage (of course) is more time consuming to make, so no ETA on that part yet.

I've started stubbing out the optional "stock-alike" config. It'll be a separate download (both via CKAN or manual), and right now I'm looking to call it "Real Scale Boosters Stockalike". The irony in the title is that they will no longer be real scale, or even in proper scale to each other, since I'l be trying to mash them into stock diameters where possible. Several of the rockets have diameter changes, so I'll probably base it on the first stage diameter. For example, the Delta III first stage is normally 2.4m at the bottom, and 4m at the top. So I'll probably make the bottom of it 1.25m, which will leave the top (and upper stage) at just slightly over 2m. That still comfortably permits 1.25m payloads inside the fairing, so I think this is fine.

So now it's time to choose diameters. Here's a tentative list that might work (with the original diameter in parentheses, along with a percent of original scale):

• Ariane center stack: 3.75m (5.4m, 69%)
  • Athena: 1.25m (2.36m, 53%)
  • Atlas core: 2.5m (3.81m, 66%)
  • Delta IV core: 3.75m (5m, 75%)
  • Delta II/III bottom: 1.25m (2.4m, 52%)
  • ISRO PSLV first stage: 2.5m (2.8m, 89%)
  • Saturn family: 7.5m (10.1m, 75%)
  • STS/DIRECT ET: 5m (8.4m, 60%)
  • STS/SLS/DIRECT/Ares SRB: 2.5m (3.71m, 67%)

Of course, this still makes the Saturn family quite huge. I could scale that one based on the top of the stack, instead of the first stage. So the top could be 3.75m, reduced from 6.6m (57%), which would make the first stage 5.74m.

To make it truly stockalike, I would base the fuel quantities on the actual (new) relative size, compared to stock tanks.

Saturn should be 6.125m. 7.5 would be way  too big! And then the Saturn Ib is a little small at 3.75m, but everyone else has it there as well, and it works just fine. I'd prefer it at 5m actually, but maybe that's a little small. Also, BDB for example has our Athena at 1.5m, so you should consider using some off-ish sizes as well! Thanks for making stock configs! Maybe now people will stop asking every single page...

Edited by VenomousRequiem

The Athena/Castor/Carrack lines could work well at 1.5m, or maybe even 1.875m. Some half-sizes like that could work.

Yeah, Saturn is tricky since it's huge, and has several diameters in it. Since this is just a config-rescaling, the diameters within a rocket stack can't change in proportion to each other (not without making alternate models). So with Saturn V for example, I have to scale based on one end or the other (scale base in bold):

• S-IC: 7.5m, S-IVB: 4.9m
  • S-IC: 6.125m, S-IVB: 4m
  • S-IC: 5m, S-IVB: 3.26m
  • S-IC: 7.65m, S-IVB: 5m
  • S-IC: 5.74m, S-IVB: 3.75m
  • S-IC: 3.83m, S-IVB: 2.5m

NecroBones. Doing some fiddling around with this and 1.1. Getting some odd behavior with at least the Ariane 5 EAP SRB. Seems it will gimbal in one axis quite well, yet not have near the same range with the other axis. Nothing in the config is jumping out at me. No changes made in editor. Not sure if the transform or something in the model is causing this or what.

Makes a Ariane launch not so nice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.