[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

I think more custom launch clamps would be something widely welcomed to this community. It's just so hard to make a decent looking launch tower with stock clamps, and you've already demonstrated that you can make them in SpaceY. I would be very excited to see any new launch clamps or launch towers! :) 

3 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I think more custom launch clamps would be something widely welcomed to this community. It's just so hard to make a decent looking launch tower with stock clamps, and you've already demonstrated that you can make them in SpaceY. I would be very excited to see any new launch clamps or launch towers! :) 

Yeah, it occurs to me that there are very few options out there other than SpaceY and FASA and some others. In a way I'm surprised there aren't more out there. They're more complicated to make (and a bit finicky) compared to many other parts, but they're a breeze compared to landing gear/legs. I'll go back to my SpaceY clamps and remind myself how they work, and put some thought into it.

18 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah, it occurs to me that there are very few options out there other than SpaceY and FASA and some others. In a way I'm surprised there aren't more out there. They're more complicated to make (and a bit finicky) compared to many other parts, but they're a breeze compared to landing gear/legs. I'll go back to my SpaceY clamps and remind myself how they work, and put some thought into it.

Any chance you could possibly update @frizzank's guide if you find any issues? I keep wanting to make a couple but they're kind of intimidating.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Any chance you could possibly update @frizzank's guide if you find any issues? I keep wanting to make a couple but they're kind of intimidating.

Sure, I'll let you know what I run into. I know they're extremely picky about positioning and orientation of transforms.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

That sort of stuff is my kryptonite. :wink: 

I know what you mean. One of the things I did in the previous set of clamps, is move things around in Unity and break the prefab status from the Blender import. I try not to do that anymore. So in trying to reorganize the SpaceY clamps, I've already managed to completely break it. I may have to look back at the tutorials myself. :)

Just now, NecroBones said:

I know what you mean. One of the things I did in the previous set of clamps, is move things around in Unity and break the prefab status from the Blender import. I try not to do that anymore. So in trying to reorganize the SpaceY clamps, I've already managed to completely break it. I may have to look back at the tutorials myself. :)

Would it be best to keep all the separate things separate then? Export them as separate chunks or something?

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Would it be best to keep all the separate things separate then? Export them as separate chunks or something?

Possibly, but I hate using multiple files if I don't have to. I think it should be just a matter of getting the orientations and positions correct. Somehow I have to get the Blender layout to import such that it matches what I did in Unity previously. Maybe I can write a tutorial once I straighten it all out or something. :)

I forgot just HOW picky these parts are. Geez. Anyway, I managed to get all the orientations right in Blender so that nothing special has to happen in Unity afterward. I'll have to pick through it to understand again why some of these things matter. But here's a screenshot. The shorter clamps, mounted on the diagonals, are the rearranged clamp in SpaceY:

KSP%202016-05-05%2014-41-23-83.jpg

9 minutes ago, Basedoesgames said:

I have a texture glitch with some Atlas parts. http://imgur.com/YSsaMme

Wow, I've never seen things turn black like that before. It's probably another mod breaking something, or the texture got corrupted when you installed it, or something along those lines. I'd delete and reinstall RSB, and look at what other mods you're using that might affect either textures or shaders in KSP.

10 hours ago, Basedoesgames said:

I have a texture glitch with some Atlas parts. http://imgur.com/YSsaMme

9 hours ago, popeter45 said:

i had the black atlas to

could be with stock config

Stock config doesn't change anything with the textures or appearance, other than changing the rescaleFactor.

I'll probably need to see a "KSP.log" so I can see what it's doing on your side, and what mods might be interacting with it. The interesting thing to me is that it seems to only be affecting the parts that use the main Atlas texture. Though I can't imagine why that texture would fail for some people and not everyone else.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:15 AM, popeter45 said:

i had the black atlas to

could be with stock config

Maybe i did..... :blush:

19 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Stock config doesn't change anything with the textures or appearance, other than changing the rescaleFactor.

I'll probably need to see a "KSP.log" so I can see what it's doing on your side, and what mods might be interacting with it. The interesting thing to me is that it seems to only be affecting the parts that use the main Atlas texture. Though I can't imagine why that texture would fail for some people and not everyone else.

let me rerun without the stock config and if it's still there, ill post the log.

19 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Edited by Basedoesgames
Removing log text

49 minutes ago, Basedoesgames said:

The loading of RSB textures. It appears that only the atlas textures are missing.

No, it definitely found the texture (it's in there right between the Athena textures and the Delta textures, but it's easy to miss since it's only one). I figured that would be the case since usually when a texture isn't loaded, it doesn't load the parts that rely on it either. The fact that they're in-game means it found something. I'll need to see the entire log, since I have no idea what's causing this, so it could be a problem anywhere in there. Can you upload it somewhere? Dropbox or something along those lines?

It's also possible that there's something goofy about the texture, possibly from converting it to DDS. I've seen that sort of problem before, but never where it blacked out the whole thing. I could also try tweaking and reconverting the texture and give you a copy to test.

9 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

No, it definitely found the texture (it's in there right between the Athena textures and the Delta textures, but it's easy to miss since it's only one). I figured that would be the case since usually when a texture isn't loaded, it doesn't load the parts that rely on it either. The fact that they're in-game means it found something. I'll need to see the entire log, since I have no idea what's causing this, so it could be a problem anywhere in there. Can you upload it somewhere? Dropbox or something along those lines?

It's also possible that there's something goofy about the texture, possibly from converting it to DDS. I've seen that sort of problem before, but never where it blacked out the whole thing. I could also try tweaking and reconverting the texture and give you a copy to test.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjgwokduvkf33qc/KSP.log?dl=0 This is the file you need?

1 hour ago, Basedoesgames said:

Yep, that's a start. I don't see anything (so far) that I can identify as causing this, but I do see other problems. You're using KSP 1.1.2, but loading QuickSearch (which is no longer needed, since that functionality is built into stock now). This somehow seems to be causing other problems. ModuleManager is throwing an error and never logs anything about running its patches, which is quickly followed by a MechJeb error:

[LOG 21:17:10.235] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading QuickSearch, Version=1.2.1.31288, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader+<ProcessPatch>d__45.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 21:17:10.320] [ModuleManager] Ran in 28.000s

[ERR 21:17:10.469] MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading QuickSearch, Version=1.2.1.31288, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Part of why I wanted to look, is to see what other mods are running, and which might be having errors. As an experiment, it might be worth removing Hangar Extender, since it's one that modifies VAB behavior. Also, have you tried spawning any of the Atlas parts on the pad? Are they still black there? Or just in the VAB?

You're also getting a ton of "FloatCurve" errors on stock parts, which the stock parts shouldn't be having. Example:

[LOG 21:17:23.265] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/jetEngines/jetEngineAfterburning/turboJet'
[ERR 21:17:23.299] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.300] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.303] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.304] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.305] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.306] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

I mainly point these out since it's making it hard to diagnose anything pertaining to RSB. I see it load all of the assets, and that's about it, and I suspect there are other things misbehaving. Since there are no logged messages about MM patches, I can't see if anything is trying to modify the RSB parts that way.

Anyway, here's another experiment. I made a new copy of the texture that you can try. Basically grab this file and place that in the "RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Atlas" folder, and overwrite the one that's there. It's basically the same thing, but I converted straight from a PNG instead of MBM texture.

Spoiler

Yep, that's a start. I don't see anything (so far) that I can identify as causing this, but I do see other problems. You're using KSP 1.1.2, but loading QuickSearch (which is no longer needed, since that functionality is built into stock now). This somehow seems to be causing other problems. ModuleManager is throwing an error and never logs anything about running its patches, which is quickly followed by a MechJeb error:

[LOG 21:17:10.235] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading QuickSearch, Version=1.2.1.31288, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader+<ProcessPatch>d__45.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 21:17:10.320] [ModuleManager] Ran in 28.000s

[ERR 21:17:10.469] MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading QuickSearch, Version=1.2.1.31288, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Part of why I wanted to look, is to see what other mods are running, and which might be having errors. As an experiment, it might be worth removing Hangar Extender, since it's one that modifies VAB behavior. Also, have you tried spawning any of the Atlas parts on the pad? Are they still black there? Or just in the VAB?

You're also getting a ton of "FloatCurve" errors on stock parts, which the stock parts shouldn't be having. Example:

[LOG 21:17:23.265] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/jetEngines/jetEngineAfterburning/turboJet'
[ERR 21:17:23.299] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.300] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.303] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.304] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.305] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

[ERR 21:17:23.306] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

I mainly point these out since it's making it hard to diagnose anything pertaining to RSB. I see it load all of the assets, and that's about it, and I suspect there are other things misbehaving. Since there are no logged messages about MM patches, I can't see if anything is trying to modify the RSB parts that way.

Anyway, here's another experiment. I made a new copy of the texture that you can try. Basically grab this file and place that in the "RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Atlas" folder, and overwrite the one that's there. It's basically the same thing, but I converted straight from a PNG instead of MBM texture.

I placed the new file in and deleted extender. Still happened but going to delete search and try again. if it persists, i will try it by itself.

Edited by NecroBones
spoilered the really long quote

3 hours ago, Basedoesgames said:

I placed the new file in and deleted extender. Still happened but going to delete search and try again. if it persists, i will try it by itself.

OK, let me know. Also, I asked on the ModuleManager thread about the missing logs for the patches applied, and they reminded me that it does that when it's loading everything from the cache. If it's still not working, can you delete "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" in GameData, run KSP again, and send me the new log?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.