[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

Updated:

0.14 (2016-05-19) - Launch Stability.
 - Updated sample rockets to stage the engines ahead of the launch clamps.
 - Added multiple launch clamp designs, plus a Delta Umbilical Tower.
 - Updated several sample rockets to use new launch clamps & tower.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MORE LAUNCH CLAMPS   

as you might guessed, i kinda like launch clamps in ksp, so i wanted to make a big shout out to you: THANKS for this grat mod, especially this last update

@Probus was pointing out some potential z-fighting if you wanted to clip multiple umbilical towers together. It's not 100% avoidable, but I widened the lower portion by 2% so you can hide another tower inside and minimize the glitching. Also slowed the hose retraction animation:

I decided to go ahead and push out the tweaks:

0.14.1 (2016-05-20) - Tweaks.
 - Slowed hose-retraction animation in umbilical tower.
 - Widened base of umbilical tower just slightly, to avoid z-fighting when clipping two together.
 - Added "secondary" umbilical tower that can more easily be clipped inside the main Delta tower.
 - Added small box-colliders to the hose mounts on Delta umbilical towers, to be able to grab them individually when clipped together.
 - Added second umbilical to sample Delta II and III rockets.

Hello!! The Delta II rocket from this pack fully unstable... :( I wiil tried to launch AURA satllite (from US probe pack).... But...... After climb altitude 7-8 km the rocket is destroyed. I cannot conrol the climb...

I tried  use VAB ship... No change.... The rocket is  destroyed.

I used RSS and RO+FAR.

Edited by Irenicus

17 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@NecroBonesjust a note, the SpaceDock download provider link returns a 404 error (not sure it is a problem from their side though).

Edit: it was just a temporary problem, nothing serious. Sorry for bothering you.

LOL, yeah it was affecting the MRS distribution too. CDN issue or something, I suppose, since it always worked when I tested it. Go figure.

4 hours ago, Irenicus said:

Hello!! The Delta II rocket from this pack fully unstable... :( I wiil tried to launch AURA satllite (from US probe pack).... But...... After climb altitude 7-8 km the rocket is destroyed. I cannot conrol the climb...

I tried  use VAB ship... No change.... The rocket is  destroyed.

I used RSS and RO+FAR.

Keep trying. :wink:  Actually that Delta II was the first ever thing I used to get to orbit in RO/RSS myself. So it's definitely possible. :D

EDIT: The sample rocket does have the small verniers attached such that RO's gimbal ranges don't make much sense, unless you rotate those verniers 90 degrees first.

Since everyone is on the topic of launch towers, what about a Titan II GLV launch tower, even though I know you don't have a Titan II(Yet?) I can't recall exactly which LC number it is, but i know all of the Gemini flights were launched there. 

Gemini-4-launch.jpg

Also, you should consider doing a KK pack for some stock-alike launch pads. I would download the hell out of that.

Update:

Eh, it works. :P

5Q3LqEx.png

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Hi Necro - 

I'm using your mod with the Kerbal 6.4x scale mod.   So far, I think I'm missing some configurations somewhere...

I also use TweakScale and Real Fuels. 

When launching any of the RSB Rockets, after configuring the tanks for the fuels used, they are always too heavy to take off - HOWEVER - I noticed, at least on the Saturn V model, that if I double the scale on the Engines at the bottom, it takes off just fine, however, the second/third stage engines are too weak to power it into orbit.  

I have similar problems with the Solid Boosters being unable to lift themselves.  I've not changed any configs, so I'm curious if I missed a step?  Or if I need another mod, like Stock RF Engine Configs?  Still trying to figure out why I'm not getting what I imagine would be proper performance out of the Mod's engines.  Is it a mass issue with the tanks or fuel weighing too much?  Or an Engine config issue, you think?  

Again, I installed 6.4x Scaled Kerbal system, then installed Real Fuels, then tweak scale, and finally, installed your Mod.  

Any ideas?

Thanks, 

Bosun

6 hours ago, NecroBones said:

LOL, yeah it was affecting the MRS distribution too. CDN issue or something, I suppose, since it always worked when I tested it. Go figure.

Keep trying. :wink:  Actually that Delta II was the first ever thing I used to get to orbit in RO/RSS myself. So it's definitely possible. :D

EDIT: The sample rocket does have the small verniers attached such that RO's gimbal ranges don't make much sense, unless you rotate those verniers 90 degrees first.

If I used the rocket build my self it is ok:) If I used Delta II from this pack.... I have a big problems:)))

Please, give me your VAB file  DELTA II. Because I will try many times. After start, I cannot control the rocket. Not me and not MechJeb. No body control that rocket:)  The rocket flying right, left or another side... But only not in up:)

Interesting... All rockets from this pack have that problems or only delta II??? Hmmm

Edited by Irenicus

On 5/11/2016 at 3:19 PM, NecroBones said:

So the interstages attach to a node that's in the tank itself (often hidden from view, since it's aligned to the tank rims).

adapter parts for connecting other tank types would really help :)

so far I managed to cheat it with a radial attachment point, that makes an additional bottom node on the tank
but it needs alignment/positioning and looks a bit strange

like this on the rockomax tank with RL10 and the delta II interstage:

3PnjZWn.jpg

7 hours ago, Bosun said:

I have similar problems with the Solid Boosters being unable to lift themselves.

they are massively overfueled by RealFuels. it's done in a global RF patch RealFuels/zSolidFuelMult.cfg

you can rename that file and RSB will be back to normal. The fuel "number" still changes, because RF modifies the resource stats, but the weight and burn time are right.

RF Stockalike then takes care for other supported parts. Unsupported solidfuel parts may loose their performance, though.

RealFuels still breaks some RSB parts (like the Common Centaur Stage), by ripping out the tanks and not placing right modular volumes back in. This might be fixed in RO, but I'm not currently running that though.

Edited by rgr

Rgr, 

Apologies for not understanding your first line above - Do I need to download the RealFuels/zSolidFuelMult.cfg file from somewhere?  And what do I rename it too?  

Cheers!  Thanks for the response!  

Yeah, I will probably add more adapter pieces. I had some included for the first few rockets I worked on, and didn't make as many later on.

As far as I know most of the mass/balance problems with RealFuels work out OK when using RO, it's mainly with RF by itself. For those mods I mainly leave it to them to get the numbers right, however when there wasn't support for RSB parts yet, I added multipliers to the stock fuels when RF/RO are detected. This is pretty safe with LFO, but SolidFuel I think is getting multiplied twice when you're using just RF without RO.

I'm going to put out a hotfix to disable the multipliers on my side and just let RO and RF do their thing.

20 hours ago, Bosun said:

- Do I need to download the RealFuels/zSolidFuelMult.cfg file from somewhere?  And what do I rename it too?  

This applies if you are using RealFuels mod. And only when without RealismOverhaul mod. In that case, the file is located in kspdir/GameData/RealFuels/ 
Any other extension than .cfg is going to be ignored by KSP/ModuleManager on load.

@Bosun, @rgr -- Just a head's up that I'm removing the double-multiplication with a quick fix today, so it won't be necessary for you to mess with that file.

EDIT:
  Posted:

0.14.2 (2016-05-23) - Hotfix for RealFuels.
 - Disabled RF mulitplier patch. SolidFuel amounts were getting muliplied twice when RealFuels is used without RealismOverhaul.

I just noticed the Atlas V 3.81m tank has more fuel than the Delta IV 5m tank. That's crazy b/c the Delta IV tank is way bigger than the Atlas V's. Does Realism Overhaul take care of that? I'm not sure.

--Just realized Atlas ran on kerosene and Delta on hydrogen.

Also I think it would be stellar if engines had 2 nodes instead of the one, even if they don't have a shroud.

Edited by tenvelden

56 minutes ago, tenvelden said:

--Just realized Atlas ran on kerosene and Delta on hydrogen.

Yep, that's it right there. :) The optional stockification patches will put fuel in them based on their rescaled sizes so they'll do what you expect if you're playing in a stock-like environment.

56 minutes ago, tenvelden said:

Also I think it would be stellar if engines had 2 nodes instead of the one, even if they don't have a shroud.

I'm still giving it some thought. The problem is that the lower nodes would interfere when attaching the lower stages, since those nodes will compete with the lower nodes of the interstages.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.