[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

15 minutes ago, StoryMusgrave said:

NecroBones. Doing some fiddling around with this and 1.1. Getting some odd behavior with at least the Ariane 5 EAP SRB. Seems it will gimbal in one axis quite well, yet not have near the same range with the other axis. Nothing in the config is jumping out at me. No changes made in editor. Not sure if the transform or something in the model is causing this or what.

Makes a Ariane launch not so nice.

Huh, this used to work, but I guess 1.1's way of doing gimbal isn't so happy with how I split the models up. I think there's more of a requirement now for the gimbal transforms to align to the Z axis. I'll re-consolidate it so that it works more like the other engines.

17 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Huh, this used to work, but I guess 1.1's way of doing gimbal isn't so happy with how I split the models up. I think there's more of a requirement now for the gimbal transforms to align to the Z axis. I'll re-consolidate it so that it works more like the other engines.

Yeah I'm not so sure having two models is such a big deal, then again what do I know. My initial thoughts was the transform as well. I'll leave things to your much capable hands. I'll do a bit more testing and see if any other parts are having the same issue.

Yeah, it's really just the fact that having the bell as a separate model, it defaulted to the "Y" axis as vertical for the root transform, which is what it was gimballing around. The only reason it was split up was to make the texture assignment simpler, but really that's just as easy to do, so the separation isn't necessary at all.

8 hours ago, StoryMusgrave said:

So far the Ariane booster is the only problem child. Everything else has passed so far. I'll keep you up to date.

Yeah, I think that's the only one where I did something goofy with the gimbal setup. I have it all working on my side for the next update.

Something else I made some progress on last night is the stockalike patches. At the moment it just has the physical size rescaling, and none of the stat updates yet. But it's mostly following the size scales I described a few posts back. Right now however the castor-based rockets (Carrack, Athena) are at 1.5m diameter, and the Saturn V is normalized for 3.75m at the top of the S-IVB (and thus 5.71m at the bottom). Redefining all of the stats for these things won't be too hard overall, just tedious. And I can't promise they'll all fly well with stock-alike stats. But then again, that's part of the fun of the stock-like gameplay, is to have a bunch of lego pieces that may or may not work well together. ;)

So I'm setting up what I think is a pretty cool framework for the stock-alike config, and digging deeply into the magic of ModuleManager. :) I'm configuring a lot of it to use mulitpliers, and compute the correct mass ratios and the like. A lot of settings will still need to be manually configured for each part, but this will take a lot of the load off. For example, the parts are being physically rescaled in bulk, based on which rocket they belong to. I can then set a new capacity for a fuel tank in an individual patch rule, and have another rule follow in behind and set the correct dry mass based on that for all fuel tanks in one shot. For engines, I plan to break them down by type (lifter, sustainer, vacuum, SRB), and have a set of base ISP/thrust/mass numbers for those classes, with a per-engine multiplier. This will make adding new parts easy, and keep them all pretty balanced relative to each other if I need to make changes. Still a lot to be done, but the global rules are starting to look pretty good so far.

18 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@NecroBones: Can you give them stockalike names?

Probably not in the first release, but it's something I can keep in mind. Right now the MM rules I'm building will replace the diameters that are mentioned in the titles, but otherwise doesn't touch them.

Updated:

0.11 (2016-04-17) - Update.
 - Added Delta II First stage tank, procedural fairing, and nose cone (other parts delayed).
 - Converted Delta II/III texture to DDS.
 - Corrected GEM-40 radial attachment point.
 - Corrected the Carrack procedural fairing's starting radius.
 - Added some variables and various adjustments to facilitate optional stockification patches.
 - Fixed a problem preventing Ariane V SRBs from gimbaling in both axes.
 - Added a fairing base (8.4m) for the STS/DIRECT rocket family, matching the existing decouplers.
 - Enabled surface attachment on most procedural fairing bases, for strutting.

Some more examples from the stockification rescaling. The Atlas V 400-series below looks a little strange since I made a really compact fairing over the test payload. The 500-series procedural fairing isn't cooperating, so work in progress as usual.

Atlas V:

KSP%202016-04-17%2021-47-25-70.jpg

Athena:

KSP%202016-04-17%2016-47-19-90.jpg

Ariane V:

KSP%202016-04-15%2023-58-50-36.jpg

@NecroBonesas usual, excellent work!

Noticed two small issues though: the Delta II core propellant tank fairing attachment nodes are a bit off (corrected it by moving them along the X axis at the +/- 1.18 position) and the Delta II procedural fairing base probably references a wrong model (fairing diameter is 2.4 meters as expected but the base is conical - Centaur style - and has an outside diameter of 2.95 meters).

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@NecroBonesas usual, excellent work!

Noticed two small issues though: the Delta II core propellant tank fairing attachment nodes are a bit off (corrected it by moving them along the X axis at the +/- 1.18 position) and the Delta II procedural fairing base probably references a wrong model (fairing diameter is 2.4 meters as expected but the base is conical - Centaur style - and has an outside diameter of 2.95 meters).

Yeah, not surprised. They weren't quite ready yet, as you might have guessed. :)

EDIT: I'll get a correction out shortly.

Pretty quick and easy fix:

0.11.2 (2016-04-18) - Tweaks
 - Lowered the snap radius threshold for some procedural fairings.
 - Corrected Delta II tank fairing attachment points.
 - Added the correct Delta II procedural fairing base (it referenced an existing model as a placeholder prior to this).

The stockification patches are getting pretty close to being release-worthy. The ISRO PSLV is more or less stockified, but it's incomplete since I never got around to making the procedural fairing base that would fit over the 4th stage (the included one works on stages 1-3, but not the 4th stage with it's bulbous tank).

For Delta II & III, originally I was going to scale them independently of Delta IV, but there's some minor part sharing going on, so it's better to keep them in scale to each other. So it's all going with the D4's CBC being 3.75m and the rest of the sizes follow from that. Delta III looks pretty good at this scale:

KSP%202016-04-19%2011-20-19-60.jpg

KSP%202016-04-19%2011-25-02-28.jpg

Alright, I think the ISRO PSLV is viable now. I now have the 4th-stage fairing base working for it. That part of course will only be available on the next release of RSB itself, so if I get the stockification pack out first, the PSLV will just be slightly incomplete at first.

Probably not for the first release, but the stock patches could also include a few new parts to function as adapters to the non-standard sizes that will be present. It's an idea. Nothing concrete yet.

PSLV with a small test payload (so no SRBs needed, and it was still overkill):

KSP%202016-04-19%2014-28-46-52.jpg

KSP%202016-04-19%2014-35-41-71.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.